PDA

View Full Version : full moon barra

thumps
05-01-2006, 06:20 AM
does the full moon have any real effect on Land Locked Barra.

and if so....do they bite well ON the full moon itself...or just either side of it

:-?

Awoonga
05-01-2006, 08:14 AM
To me there is not much diffrence... yes it makes it easier to see ...in fact l seem to catch more of them when there is cloud cover .... back moon works well ! There is great debate about wind ,tide moon effects on land locked barra ..I dont let any of those things affect my fishing ....l just go.. :D

McCod
05-01-2006, 08:16 AM
Has more effect on the anglers mate ;). The lunatics come out to play around the full moon [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]. But seriously there appears to be more fish activity around the moons. With the new moon being good also. Some of best impoundment Barra fishing I’ve ever had has been around the new moon . The moon up moon down times around the full & new moons see the best bites. But don’t forget you need fish in the area your dangling lures or baits to get results on any moon.

Cheers Les

still_water
05-01-2006, 08:36 AM
I am with the boys all the moon does is rise the alge to the surface which makes the bait work all night and as they said it makes no difference, it just allows more visibility on your buddies lure zipping past your noggin.
My best fish score came from a quater moon in a 25 knot Se pouring rain.
And you can generally see the tree before you bump into it.

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
05-01-2006, 09:18 AM
The full moon does one majorly important thing to many anglers! It gives them MASS CONFIDENCE!,,,,,,and with this confidence comes 'drive', 'persistance', and all else that is required to make an angler fish longer, harder until a barra is landed. Matched with the extra added light at night time, and we have a great heap of angling effort around this full moon period.
Barra are land locked yes, and it means they can't wander too far from any one positon. ##2.5 million barra released in a lake, all with the same charecteristics and the same necessity based movements, and they aren't that hard to keep track of.
Fishing methods vary monthly as to follow suit of fish movement.
Stationary fish are much easier to score greater numbers on, hence why many great catches don't coincide with the full moon. Barra activity increases with a making moon, but it does not necessarily mean that scores will increase, as moving fish will often move far and wide, making tracking more difficult!!
This may cause a spark,,,,,,so i'll leave the topic there, as evidential and supportive words would fill this forum. Many eyes watch the impounded fishery, and many look from only one angle! In fear of causing mass debate, and embarressment and so on and so on,,,,,,i'll leave it at that!!
Regards,
Johnny M

the_matrix
05-01-2006, 10:28 AM
Hi guys, moons are like lure colours. I dont believe it makes a lick of difference what colour your lure is. Me thinks more fisherman get caught with flash lure colours than the fish they are targeting. ;D

But, if you have a favourite lure colour, it means you will be fishing HARDER with more confidence and patients, hence better results and more positivity! So from that perspective, yes colours do work. Just not how most people think.
So that can translate to moons as well. As said above, if you get confidence out of moon fishing, then do it! It may mean you will fish longer, harder and watch the "variables" more attentively.

I personally think that there is a link between the tidal pull of the moon, and impoundment Barra, and I know some guys up north at Faust who are very switched on and swear by it.
But I dont need any other things to blame when Im doin it tuff! ;D ;D
Jas

woolybugger
05-01-2006, 12:19 PM
I agree to disagree to agree??? What the!!!

I fish 100% freshwater lakes and have so for a long time now and I don't really believe in the moon, wind, rain or the barometer.

Just like one of the previous posts, I have had alot of success catching Bass, Barra anf Saratogas etc in winter, low barometer, wind, rain and no moon etc etc etc and had less results with everything in my favour, even though the fish are there and using the same techniques. They are like all creatures (even humans) they have to eat and if a well presented fly or lure is put in from of there nose and are hungry or agressive you will get a bite.

I guess its like woman, if someone can work them out, they will be a millionaire (no offence to all woman readers out there)

tuna44
08-01-2006, 11:12 AM
I can only wirte on past trips. To me there is a signifcant difference when the moon shows & when it covered. One trip to Faust saw 5 nights of intense action. By the last 2 nights we slept from about sundown to moon rise in the boat. Best time to fish usually??? The previous 3 nights didn't raise a hit until to moon rose over the mountains??? Awesome stuff when you sleep thru the moon rise when a barra boof meters from the boat wake you both up. ::)
Last 2 trips to Awoonga there were nights where the fish went real real quiet when the moon disappeared behind the clouds??? As soon as it cleared, was back on. :) I can for myself come to the conclusion that in those weather circumstances the bite seems to be when the moon is showing. Not necessarly full. Just showing??? Anyone find similar?

McCod
08-01-2006, 01:03 PM
Barra are one of the most switched on fish you can come across…. There eye sight is unreal …. They see in a sort of greyscale in low light conditions. But there lateral line picks up movement in the water and in pitch black conditions they will hone in on a lure long before they see it. Have had some good sessions at night on a new moon with full cloud cover when ya flat out seeing the rod and reel…. But the Barra still belt the lures. And on the cloud cover thing on the moon showing…. I guess you can only tell it how ya see it. Had a bloke tell us about the how the bite improved on and around the full moon when the cloud covered the moon on a resent trip fishing Teemburra Dam. Anyway we did not catch a lot of fish that night but the ones we got came when the cloud covered the moon. Coincident maybe .... I’m not sure?

Cheers Les

devocean
08-01-2006, 05:14 PM
Barra are sight feeders therefore as most predatory fish they need light ot feed. Therefore on full moons barra will feed at night more because there is more light and therefore will feed less during the day.

On the new moon less light means they will feed during the day more than at night. I have witnessed this myself both in fresh and salt water in both dams and gulf of carpenteria.

Also a local prossie guy I know who fishjes the dam regularly swears by this.

I hope this helps