PDA

View Full Version : wivenhoe?

breamking
01-01-2006, 01:50 PM
How is wivenhoe fishing guys.Just wondering,never been before.What are we all using.

wrip109
02-01-2006, 07:41 AM
I have been there a few times in the past couple of weeks. There are wall to wall catties which will take just about anything from lures, to worms, to even dough.

Of course you fish from the bank unless you have a boat with a lecky motor (and a permit).

The water is very, very low; what I considered to be the good spots are now all high and dry. There are not many places left to fish because they have all been closed off with locked gates. Even the Common is a no-no these days. Kipper Creek has no water but was always a good place.

Try Logan's Inlet or up near Esk. You might land a Tilapia between catties(Friday I pulled in a 2 Kilo cattie on 2 Kilo line and my bream rod - THAT was good fun).

Its gonna be hot too 8-)

Maybe see you there...

Phil

ssab1
02-01-2006, 07:59 PM
wrip109, if youre bank fishing up that way and dont mind a little hike there is a great bank (5m DROP OFF at your feet) about 1.5klms to the north of lumneys??hill camping area .picked it up on my sounder cant miss it rock cliff face.caught bass and a yella would be great land based. ;) ;)

Richo1
02-01-2006, 10:35 PM
Hi Breamking,

Fished there Thursday night and Friday morning, caught 56 catfish and 3 spangled perch! Caught on Plastics, Spinnerbaits and Jackle imitations. Fished out from Logans and down to Platypus Cliffs then back again.

I'm a bit put off it now, 2nd time I've fished it hard and only Catties.

Cheers

Richo

ssab1
03-01-2006, 09:35 AM
richo1..dont be put off big w is a winter bass lake .not saying you wont catch them but as youve discovered 1 or 2 catch fish around in summer.when there was weed around you could catch bass on surface lures at sunset as for now catfish!!!! plenty of 50+cm bass schooled up in the cooler months. ;) ;)

wrip109
03-01-2006, 09:37 AM
Hi Richo

You and me both! I have a small inflatable which I use when there is NO wind. Some of the catties are huge and tow me for quite some distance. I have to be quite careful when pulling them in because catties and blow-up boats don't mix very well

Phil
::)

ssab1
03-01-2006, 10:00 AM
catfish and inflatables your a brave or desperate man.might have to arrange a trip in my tinny+30leccy+3bat if your that keen been reading your posts but i avoid wivenhoe thru summer cheers ;D

wrip109
03-01-2006, 10:58 AM
Hi Saab1

I would love to go with you for a trip. Perhaps we can exchange? I have a 14 foot tinny with a 20 HP which is great on Somerset.

I live in Ipswich and I am fairly keen on fishing. I work full time, I am doing a Bachelor of IT in my spare time I spend one day of the weekend with my grandkids and the rest of the time I fish..

Have been fishing in freshwater for over 50 years and like to go at least once a week

Phil@scousesoftware.com

ssab1
03-01-2006, 11:21 AM
sounds good to me.new to this tecnology(computers) will send you a email when kids(18yr old ) comes home and shows me how,maybe i should do a it course.find somerset great for yellas but cant beat W bass.i still work fulltime but like you like my regular fishing fix.hard bodies and live shrimp cant adjust to those soft plastics.cheers

Richo1
03-01-2006, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the encouragement,
thought maybe attack it by canoe so we can get closer to the Dam Wall end. A bit too far with the electric in my Quintrex explorer from Logans.
Do you think maybe the Bass head down towards the Dam wall this time of the year. A natural instinct to head down river to spawn?

Cheers

Richo

Fitzy
04-01-2006, 08:53 AM
Guys,
Tips for avoiding forkies @ Big W.

- Get rid of anything with rattles in it.
-Cover territory,, dont sit in one place for long as forkies love to move in under a boat & sit there.
-Get a good sounder & get to know the difference between forkies & bass on it. My Matrix 97 is perfect.
-Dont touch the bottom.

Get those right & then put in a few hundred days on big W & you should be close. #;D

Cheers,

fitzy..

wrip109
04-01-2006, 06:07 PM
Just spent all afternoon fishing Platypus Cliffs; Only catfish, but really big ones! Don't know about 1.5K though - I reckon I walked nearly 100K(would you believe 50K?).

The catfish took every type of lure I had including Squidgies- Great fun!

I see many dead ones on the bank there. I suppose it's the right thing to do but I can't bring myself to kill them, especially when many are over 2Kg. It feels like murder. :-/

Once I knew where the cliffs were in relation to the car park it only took 25 mins back to the car. I tried walking in a straight line this time. Hey, that's a good idea.

Must admit it looks really fishy so I will have to give it another go when I get the feeling back in my legs.

Phil

PMC
04-01-2006, 06:26 PM
Fitz, how do you go in summer there, do you use the same techniques as you do in the winter? Are they in the same places?
Paul

ssab1
04-01-2006, 06:56 PM
phil ..your a worry,dont think that spot is plat/cliffs.. they`re further around,that spot would be totally covered in normal water levels(Would hold fish then) got a spare compass and picture of straight line i`ll give you when we meet, sent email.post manager says (Delayed delivery) what ever that means.tried thru this site dont know how that went.new to this tec stuff.cheers alex ;D :-?

Fitzy
04-01-2006, 10:20 PM
Hey guys,
If you're walking into Platypus Cliffs just be careful on the hill/escarpment up behind. There's alot of death adders in that area.

Also had a mate come face to face with a taipan @ Sheepstation Inlet several years ago as well. Only knew what it was after the snake accidentally died & we had it sussed by a snake handler. :-X

cheers,

fitzy..

PS- dont let the water nazis catch you hiking in there.

Fitzy
04-01-2006, 10:27 PM
Fitz, how do you go in summer there, do you use the same techniques as you do in the winter? Are they in the same places?
Paul

PMC,
Same techniques can work for sure. Always worth a peg into the edges early morning, but I'd put my money on the majority of the bass are in deep water in the river atm, with most of them moving onto the margins & flats to actively hunt.
Just gotta sort of the bass from the forkies on the sounder.

Folks if you got out there & have it in mind that you're going after forkies you'll end up having a fun day. Can take bets on the biggest & the most. My best is 152 forkies. They're great fun in summer,,, if you hook one & take you're time getting them up they will commonly have several friends swimming with them. Do a figure 8 next to the boat with another lure & you're on a double.... ;D
Do the sums on how many lakes (only 5 off the top of my head) we have with forkies & how many bass, barra & cod lakes there are around, we should be targetting them alot more. Catfish in ost other countries can be as popular, if not more so than other species.

Cheers,

fitz

Richo1
05-01-2006, 07:52 AM
Thanks for the info Fitzy,

now just have to work out the difference between the two on the sounder!
I'm with you Phill, don't like to kill them. I'd rather be catching catties than nothing at all.
They actually have a very nice looking fillet, but hmm not that desperate for a feed yet!

wrip109
05-01-2006, 11:08 AM
Actually they are quite nice to eat. A fillet on the BBQ works well BUT what a pain to prepare! Even the big ones are nearly all head and very little meat.

Roughly it works out to about one fillet to one sandwich and 15 mins to fillet each fish. Reminds me of crabbing.
I go out and catch them.
I cook them
I shell them
My wife eats them

Hey, I acidentally lost my crab nets!

Now tilapia - that's a different story - Yum!

Fitzy perhaps I should use the snakes for bait? ::)

Phil

Louis
05-01-2006, 12:23 PM
G'day Richo

Yep I agree with Phil.

I find them quite a palatable fish.

I often camp at Wivenhoe and after catching a number of catties I fillet them and cook them up on the barbie.

Only drawback is as Phil says. They are all head and guts. For a large fish you still wind up with only a small fillet.

Louis

Chuong
05-01-2006, 01:45 PM
We get a few goldens here in the warmer months.

Richo1
06-01-2006, 09:13 AM
Have been thinking about having a go at the Dam wall. Parking the car and walking. Any rules or regs against doing that? Or is it all fenced off?

Louis
06-01-2006, 03:05 PM
G'day Richo,

Yeah unfortunately it is now unlawful to fish down from the dam wall.

I can't remember the exact distance which applys but if you were to ring the DPI I'm sure they will be able to advise you.

Louis

wrip109
07-01-2006, 07:21 AM
Downstream from the wall there is no fishing at all. You are not even allowed to follow the track to the bottom pool at the end of the river bit.

Phil

Richo1
09-01-2006, 10:42 AM
Hmm that place has a lot of rules :-? But I guess that's why we have it all too ourselves when we fish it! :D

That's the Wall idea gone, now to plan the next assault.

Thanks