PDA

View Full Version : Fresh Water Creeks (Food for Barra)

BG
09-01-2006, 09:57 AM
Feeder fish from the pet shop go allright, my brother used to feed his barra (jed was its name) the cheap gold fish for something different

Cheers Ben

madman1
09-01-2006, 01:42 PM
At the moment I am travelling from Bracken Ridge out to Dayboro to supply my two Barra (Bazza and Barbie, This is the kids choice of names) with live fish. It takes around 30 - 40 minutes each way and a bucket load in diesel.

The question is, are there any high yielding areas closer to my suburb?

Nothing beats the sight of a Barra attacking a poor defenceless fish!!! ;)

All suggestions would be great.

We are heading down to the local lagoon to see what that provides.

Cheers

Mark

McCod
09-01-2006, 08:02 PM
Gday Mark... yeah the feeder fish from the pet shop are cheep as.... 20 to 50 cents each for the bigger ones. Be a bit careful not to over feed them.... as they have been known to eat them themselves to death. Little pigs they are ;D

# Cheers Les

madman1
10-01-2006, 11:30 AM
Les, How you been mate?

Any ideas on what sort of quantities Barra of around 20cm should be consuming.

We throw in around 10 -15 small fish (up to 2-3cm) in and they are all gone in no more than 10 minutes.

The point of catching our own fish is to spend time with the kids. The place out the back of Dayboro has clean water and is a treat to swim in.. The distance is a bit of a worry though.

I ended up throwing a fish trap in my little pond for a laugh and was surprised to catch around 100 small platies (spelling??? small gold fish). Bazza and Barbie had a fat time! :o

Any one out there have barra? Any tips would be great!

Cheers

Mark

Louis
10-01-2006, 02:34 PM
Do the fish have to be freshwater fish?

If not.

Why don't you throw a cast net down on the waterfront not far from where you live.

The barra will probably enjoy winter whiting and poddy mullet etc just as much.

Louis

Louis
10-01-2006, 02:35 PM
Do the fish have to be freshwater fish?

If not.

Why don't you throw a cast net down on the waterfront not far from where you live.

The barra will probably enjoy winter whiting and poddy mullet etc just as much.

Louis #