PDA

View Full Version : somerset fishing

bdowdy
12-01-2006, 11:15 PM
:)gday ,can any one tell me any good info on this place as i was heading to borumba but it isnt fishing that well at the moment and have decided to spend my week at somerset, camping and fishing advice needed as im going next weekon the 18th. ive heard theres 2 camp sites and ill have the family so i need to be comfy. any help on water levels and fishing really appreciated as im only fishing from a small tinny and a 4hp motor. cheers bdowdy :) ;)

Elysium
13-01-2006, 10:27 AM
I just came back from 4 days at Somerset. So as a fishing report this is hot off the press.

Camping wise I would reccomend staying at Kirkleigh. The ammenities are brilliant, and make camping with a family very comfortable. However since you are only using a 4Hp motor it would take a considerable time to reach the end of the bouy line (which in my opinion you dont start fishing until you get there). And of the wind is a factor the dam can chop up dramatically for a small boat.

So you are probably better off camping at the spit. I have never camped there so i can not comment on what its like. Though this camp ground is at the dam wall end, you will start off closer to the known fishing spots, and it is a little better protected from the wind.

As for fishing...its hard going at the moment...sorry to be the bearer of bad news. A few of the locals seemed to be picking up a few trolling. But still nothing spectacular.

Every boat ramp is out of water, so launching is done from the bank too.

bdowdy
15-01-2006, 09:46 AM
:)any one else help me with any info. bdowdy ;D

Sniper
16-01-2006, 01:25 PM
Sorry mate
Fishing has been really slow of late at Somersault. The last 2 trips there have caught zip. Not even a touch. Bit unusual actually for this time of the year. Looking at heading to Borumba tomorrow. Have hear that the fishing has picked up there. Will has to wait and see.
Cheers
Bill

bdowdy
17-01-2006, 12:01 PM
:)oh well ya cant win them all , i guess the beer arm will be in fine form. cheers bdowdy. :(

WSW
17-01-2006, 06:25 PM
Hey fellows: fished Somerset last friday and picked up 8 bass in total ranging from 40cm to 50 cm fork length. The 50cm went 3.32kg. Most on Smak spinnerbaits in the bony bream colour. Mainly cast & retrieve. Just use your sounder and look for the drop off's. They are generally hanging on them.

Fished there 2 weeks ago and I picked up 6 good bass with my wife landing 8 bass.

Bdowdy, I would suggest you stay at the Spit camping grounds and look around the hump and Beam Creek.

Heading out again this friday to try again.

Regards #Brad

craigie
17-01-2006, 06:38 PM
bdowdy,

You could always head a bit further and fish at Bjelke-petersen Dam near Murgon.

Great camping ground right on the Dam and the fishing has been great !!
Saw stacks of quality Bass and Goldens caught there over Christmas.
Also saw 4 silvers caught on lures.

Keep it in mind.

Cheers
Craigie.

bdowdy
18-01-2006, 06:12 AM
:)thanks guys(BRAD AND GRAIGIE) Im heading off in about an hour so ill give somerset ago and if i dont do any good will move to somewhere better. bp dam may be the go have also heard that cressbrook is fishing alright,any way will talk to you all in a few weeks. cheers bdowdy ;)