PDA

View Full Version : Clarie Hall Dam

codcatcha
25-01-2006, 10:29 AM
Can anyone tell me if you are allowed to use combustion motors on Clarie Hall and if so are there any restrictions

Elysium
25-01-2006, 03:24 PM
NO...ya cant! electric or paddle only.

and its a good thing too...if powercraft were allowed there the beauty of the place would be absolutely ruined!

d-man
25-01-2006, 10:10 PM
Wot he said :) Once you've been there you'll understand what we mean.

orarariver
02-11-2007, 06:08 PM
does anyone know if you can camp at clarrie hall dam and what the boat ramp at the wall end is like

TheSaint
02-11-2007, 06:15 PM
Your outboard must be taken off also..

banshee
02-11-2007, 06:39 PM
does anyone know if you can camp at clarrie hall dam and what the boat ramp at the wall end is like

No camping allowed,gates are locked at or around sunset and re opened when dave goes to work.To the best of my knowledge the gate at the wall is only unlocked to let the authorities launch there own boats (could be wrong on that though).

Leigh77
04-11-2007, 04:33 PM
You are spon on Banshee...the boat ramp at the wall end is not for public use, Crams Farm is the only option.

Josh525
05-11-2007, 02:20 PM
Makes it a bit of a hassle having to acctually take the motor off.

wardypig
06-11-2007, 08:25 AM
I haven't seen anything or read anywhere that the petrol powered motors must actually be removed - just not used. Can someone in the know confirm this please. I am planning to go there and just leave the motor on but remove the tank and line. I can't see how that could be a problem.

:-/ :-/ :-/

Leigh77
06-11-2007, 10:05 AM
The outboard motors MUST be taken off at Clarrie Hall Dam. Generally speaking when a Dam is "electric only" this means that the outboard must be removed, I know there are 1 or 2 dams where the motor can be left on, but Clarrie Hall is NOT one of them.

wardypig
06-11-2007, 01:05 PM
Leigh,

Where is that written. Again, I have heard this said but I have not seen it in writing or law.

Cheers,
Wardy

Leigh77
06-11-2007, 04:43 PM
Through my fishing club I have ties with Tweed Shire Council and I can honestly tell you that all outboards must be removed from your boat. You asked for "someone in the know" to confirm this...I did...and you still question it.

But if you still have doubts maybe this will ease your mind...

Twice a year the fishing org. I am a member of run events on Clarrie Hall dam...for these two events we gain official permission from Tweed Shire/NSW Fisheries to allow some participants to leave their outboards on their boats for the duration of the event...now if it were permissable to have outboards on, we wouldnt have to ask for permission now would we.

But even at these events we have strict guidlines...all props must be removed, the motor legs must be bagged, and no fuel can be contained onboard.

I hope this clears it up for you.

wardypig
06-11-2007, 05:42 PM
So Leigh are you saying I shouldn't question something because YOU say it is so??!! I don't know who you are or what links you have. Imagine if nobody questioned people about anything or sought to have issues clarified, what kind of a world would that be. Do you think I am asking questions to piss you or anyone else off?? I simply want to know for sure.

Further you still have not answered my question - where is the regulation stating that petrol motors cannot be left on. I have found one that says they cannot be used on Clarrie Hall but I cannot find one that says they must be removed. It is all well and good to have people say you can or can't do this or that but somewhere along the line it has to be in law - at some level.

If anybody else (that isn't interested in having a go at me) can help here please feel free.

For the record, I believe all the things you said, about the council, Fisheries etc I just want to see the regulation they are relying on to tell you those things.

Wardy

TheSaint
06-11-2007, 06:15 PM
I read it in NSW Fishing monthly when a article was done on the dam.. but still in doubt get the facts for yourself by calling the Tweed Shire/NSW Fisheries..

Leigh77
06-11-2007, 06:32 PM
You asked for someone in the know to confirm...so why would I bother posting the same information again if I didnt know for sure. Unlike some people on forums (not pointing the finger at you here) I only post replies when I actually know what I am talking about.

Whats the big deal about seeing the regulation, if you believe that what we have said is true? Remember...not everything on the internet is true afterall.

wardypig
06-11-2007, 07:27 PM
Leigh,

Your last sentence (although said in jest) is exactly the reason I want to see the regulation, because people get told all sorts of wonderful things by people in authority only to discover when it all comes down to it that what they were told was incorrect. I am not saying that the regulation does not exist but rather where is it. If I told you that you couldn't drive your car on the Pacific Highway (purely an example) wouldn't you want to see where that information came from decreeing it so?

To clarify my point that was lost in translation - I believe you about being told you couldn't have outboards on your boat (how could I argue that - you are the only one who knows what you were told by someone) however I am not saying I believe that that is correct as that is yet to be proven.

I have been searching all over the net and especially the Tweed Shire Council web site and cannot find where it is illegal to have outboards on the boat if they have been disabled. Please don't post the bit on that council web site about petrol powered motors as it is not a regulation/local law and it does not say conlcusively either way to boot.

I am all for protecting vulnerable waterways through minimising petrol powered craft - this post has nothing to do with wanting to drive petrol powered vessels on the lake so if anybody thinks that is why I am asking then don't.

jamie martin
07-11-2007, 10:35 AM
hey wardypig, why dont you just go there and see what happens ! when you get busted and ruin it for the other fisherman who dont have petrol motors you can write a new thread with your own advice. but that doesn't mean i'll beleive you !! give them hell LEIGH77 !!! the whole idea of electrics only means electrics only!
jamie

wardypig
07-11-2007, 07:35 PM
Jamie, Although you sound quite intelligent.........:-/ you neglected to factor in one important consideration. You must break the LAW to get busted for anything!!!!! Hence the whole reason I am trying to find out EXACTLY what the law/regulation is. You clearly did not read my post. I AM ALL FOR ELECTRIC ONLY LAKES. Maybe if I capitalise it you will see it this time. If I am not permitted to leave my outboard on when visiting a lake then so be it, but why would I go to all the trouble of removing my outboard if I WAS NOT REQUIRED TO DO SO???

How about instead of trying to further this debate you re-focus your energy on contacting Tweed Council or NSW Fisheries and helping me find the REAL answer.

For anyone interested I have emailed Tweed Council to ask for the correct answer but have yet to get a reply. I have found several other posts on different web sites from people who have been told by council staff that they can leave their petrol motors on as long as they are disabled (no fuel tank etc) so I will be telephoning for myself before I visit there in the near future.

Leigh77
07-11-2007, 07:58 PM
Just out of interest...how big is this outboard that is obvoiusly too much hassle to take off?

P.S Did you know you were shouting....apparantly!?!?!?!

wardypig
07-11-2007, 09:04 PM
My outboard weighs 65kg and yes I knew I was shouting. I cannot believe some people have made such a big deal about this when all I want to do is find out the truth (and be shown it). The size of MY outboard has nothing to do with wanting this information. Call me inquisitive if you like; I just want to know these things. As usual a certain type of person(s) wants everyone to do as they are told with no questions asked, well we don't live in that world any more chief! Clearly you cannot answer my original question and this whole post has now gotten right off track. I am still unsure why offence has been taken to my asking this question but then I guess some people have hidden agendas. When I find out I will make sure that everyone has access to the same information as me, so we all know one way or another. Again, just to clarify, once more, for the last time, I DO NOT HAVE ANY PROBLEM WITH TAKING OFF MY OUTBOARD TO FISH AT CLARRIE HALL DAM IF I AM REQUIRED BY LAW TO DO SO.

And yes I know I am shouting!!!!;D

Leigh77
08-11-2007, 06:17 AM
If this is the council page that you said dont post

http://www.tweed.nsw.gov.au/Education/w_1_clarrie.htm

Then sorry, I just posted it...but for good reason.

It says that...

To protect water quality, only electric motors, sailboats and canoes are allowed on the dam.

Now when it says allowed on the dam, that means "on the dam"...not that you can have them, but not use them. Its there in black and white.

wardypig
08-11-2007, 08:23 AM
Yep Loomis that is the one that I said not to bother posting. The reason being is because it is not a law and it does not say conclusively whether outboards must be removed. YOUR interpretation is they must be removed but that may not necessarily be the correct one. I must say that you have been most unhelpful with this topic. Why is that so? Can you honestly not see the point I have been making? Wouldn't you like to know FOR SURE so that you could find the information yourself and tell others where to find it? If your idea of knowing something is believing solely what you have been told by someone else then can I interest you in some investment opportunities??:) :) Good returns, strong performance, I guarantee;) ;) .

wardypig
08-11-2007, 09:02 AM
Well phoned council today and got one yes, one no and one don't know!!!! Asked for the location of the regulation and was told "have to get back to you on that one." Someone is apparently going to ring me back with the information I need. When that is will be anyone's guess and I was asked if next week was too long to wait!! Not confidence inspiring stuff.

jamie martin
08-11-2007, 10:02 AM
[quote=wardypig;709677]Jamie, Although you sound quite intelligent.........:-/
i didn't mean to be nasty , but it really annoys me that just about every facet of life including fishing people see a sign and think well it didnt say i couldnt do that. i know the sign says " electrics only " but it doesnt say "outboards not in use are ok". if you dont have a problem taking your motor off then whats the problem ? the reason behind no outboards is the oil factor, no one wants oil in the drinking water . no matter how clean a motor is there is always the possibility of polluting the water.
:'( jamie

wardypig
08-11-2007, 11:04 AM
Jamie,

I agree with you! But what would be wrong with the motor being tilted all the way up. Mine does not even touch the water in that position. I can see what you and Leigh are getting at but you have got me wrong. I agree that these waters need to be protected - I just wanted claification on the matter, from the horses mouth so to speak.

Now to put an end to this, I received a call from a gentleman from the council this morning who stated that it is "council's preference" that petrol motors be taken off when boating on the lake. He stated that that was not a law or rgulation as such and acknowedged that the only enforcement that could be taken would relate to disobeying a sign (referring to the one at the lake) AND HERE IS THE IMPORTANT PART only if one did in fact USE a petrol powered vessel. He stated that the reason they would prefer the outboards to be removed is because it stops people ringing them up complaining about it. He further stated that council have been asked this question a number of times in recent months and they were in the process of updating the web site and signage to clarify their position - i.e. outboards to be removed.
In the mean time he asked that to save them receiving complaints and having to send a ranger out to every call could all outboards be removed (not a requirement but a

wardypig
08-11-2007, 11:14 AM
Jamie,

I agree with you! But what would be wrong with the motor being tilted all the way up. Mine does not even touch the water in that position. I can see what you and Leigh are getting at but you have got me wrong. I agree that these waters need to be protected - I just wanted claification on the matter, from the horses mouth so to speak.

Now to put an end to this, I received a call from a gentleman from the council this morning who stated that it is "council's preference" that petrol motors be taken off when boating on the lake. He stated that that was not a law or regulation as such and acknowedged that the only enforcement that could be taken would relate to disobeying a sign (referring to the one at the lake) AND HERE IS THE IMPORTANT PART only if one did in fact USE a petrol powered vessel. He stated that the reason they would prefer the outboards to be removed is because it stops people ringing them up complaining about it. He further stated that council have been asked this question a number of times in recent months and they were in the process of updating the web site and signage to clarify their position - i.e. outboards to be removed.
In the mean time he asked that to save them receiving complaints and having to send a ranger out to every call could all outboards be removed (not a requirement but a request). He was quite helpful and promised to reply to my earlier email about this so I had a hard copy of what was said. I should receive this by next week.
So here is the crux of it. Council would like outboards removed from vessels even when not in use. Will they prosecute you for failing to remove the outboard? No they can't and won't. Will you be causing them a nuisance by leaving it on? Maybe depending on whether someone who can't see you are under electric power rings them or not. Will this issue be clarified in the future? Damn straight!!

As far as I am concerned although it is not a requirement I will remove my outboard prior to visiting because the guy I spoke to seemed genuine and asked me to do that to save him and others some work. I fully appreciate having to do jobs based on people whingeing so I will respect his wishes.

Now hopefully that puts an end to this for a bit.

Leigh77
08-11-2007, 12:21 PM
Thats exactly what I was trying to avoid...I new there was no actual legislation in regards to the outboards, but now since whoever reads this knows that, there will be an increase in people leaving there outboards on...and you can bet that sooner or later someone will turn the key and before too long things will be ruined (both access and pristine nature of the lake).

Sorry if it seemed I was giving you a hard time Wardy, but I did have my reasons...I couldnt explain those reasons without letting the info you just supplied out of the bag.

Fingers crossed that the council push the legislation through bloody quick...that last thing we need is what happened at Lake Lenthalls.

wardypig
08-11-2007, 12:56 PM
Leigh,

The council is onto this and they will have it sorted out very quickly. All they need to do is change the sign that refers to electric sail and paddle power only to include motors must be removed. That way there is an offence for disobeying a posted sign (like when a sign says no camping and someone camps there and gets a fine). They were very good at the council about all this and they acknowledge that their signage and information about this needs to be improved. I too would hate to see Clarrie ruined by irresponsible people but I know that the council would hate it even more - so I am sure it won't be long. In the mean time I hope that people read these posts and make an informed decision about what they should do. When I get the reply to my email I might post it here - although I think this thread will be dead by then (hopefully:) ).

Cheers all,
Wardy

d-man
08-11-2007, 02:13 PM
http://www.tweed.nsw.gov.au/PlanningBuilding/WaterDetail.aspx?Doc=/Education/w_1_clarrie.htm

wardypig
08-11-2007, 03:04 PM
D-man,

That is the web site they will be fixing up and they will also redo the sign at the dam (as the web site is not the instrument by which they could prosecute an offence). It was also part-posted by Leigh earlier in the thread.