PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone own a Calais baitcaster?

woody74
14-01-2006, 02:55 PM
Just wondering if anyone owns one. Got one today with a t-curve rod and was wondering what braid you should spool it up with? I've put a post in tackle, but wanted to cover freshwater as well. Was told to only put pure braid on the reel, is this true. If so what would be the best? I think the brand old mate at my local tried to sell me was FINNS, but thought I'd check with someone who own's one first. CHEERS woody.

Elysium
16-01-2006, 03:16 PM
yer I got one....as far as I know you can put whatever you like on it...but by chance I have got 25pd finns braid on mine and do not have a complaint!! go for it!

outrigger
16-01-2006, 07:40 PM
I have been using the same rig and have fished both awoonga and munduran with fish up to 105cm using platypus braid 30lbs.Works great good luck.

outrigger
16-01-2006, 07:42 PM
misspelt monduran

Mak579
22-01-2006, 11:08 AM
I have a Calias matched to a T-Curve. Great for SP fishing.

MIKOS
27-01-2006, 02:57 PM
They look like a well finished product.

How good are they guys?

They are an expensive reel.

comments please.

Mike

outrigger
28-01-2006, 12:16 PM
mikos , they are a great combination and cost around $520 for the reel but looked after should last for years of hard work.
Regards outrigger

thumps
28-01-2006, 12:54 PM
yer I got one....as far as I know you can put whatever you like on it...but by chance I have got 25pd finns braid on mine and do not have a complaint!! go for it!

i'm making an assumption here

i think he means ...a combo of backing and braid

if you topshot ..it can cut into the backing and hinder casting etc...but

i am making an assumption

fishsmith
28-01-2006, 08:23 PM
Nice outfit should be a hoot to play with...As far as line for her goes wack some mono backing about 20 or 30 metres of whatever you have handy as this will stop the braid from slipping on your spool..Then top it up with Braid what ever brand your happy with. I have platypus braid on my baitcasters because i got hold of some at a good price, I've had no problems with it and i would buy it again. ..Whatever brand you use your better off with true braid on a baitcaster as it more supple and not as stiff/wirery as thermo-dyneema lines so it will cast off your spool more smoothly and not spring off which can cause more air knots and birdsnests,which by the way are easier to unpick when there the braid type..Thermo can be a nightmare to unpick as it can tend to dig into itself a bit more..Braid will be a little more user freindly on that educated thumb thermo will cut /burn flesh quicker..Thermo-dyneema lines are the best lines to used on Threadline reels as their wirery stiffness springs off the spool better and when combined with a crisp graphite rod you can really cast some ultra light plastics etc also most of the better threadies have an aero/cross rap type line laying system which prevents the thermo lines from digging in.. etc....Cheers Smithy...

Elysium
29-01-2006, 08:41 AM
no backing on my calais...I have never used any sort of backing on my reels when braid is the main line, because I have never had an issue with the line slipping.

25lb Finns braid all the way. ;D ;D ;D

jimbolikes_barra
29-01-2006, 02:59 PM
yeh definetely finns braid its got some coating on it like fly backing eg. teflon impregnated so it doesn't collect water wich can be a pain in the as# when cast and retreiving.

as for line weight anything between 20-50 pound or maybe use the 20 most of the time and spool up with the 50 when going to chase barra if thats ur thing ::) ;D ;)