PDA

View Full Version : Awoonga Dam Fishing Association

Awoonga
25-01-2006, 05:28 PM
Well that could be the name... thats to be decided...There are quite a few issues that need to be addressed with the Gladstone Area Water Board ...Dam wall net...Skiing..fish stocking .Access to the lake.lots of things in fact ... Awoonga fishers need a voice its no use trying to talk to them as a person it falls on deaf ears ...So what about an association .. l am willing to do the hard yards so everything is done on the legal side .... but l would like your thoughts... good or otherwise..

the_matrix
25-01-2006, 05:50 PM
Could be the start of sumthin big.
You know where I stand.
Jas

thumps
25-01-2006, 05:55 PM
you have my support...even though i'm miles away

anything i can do....let me know

Dehydrated
25-01-2006, 10:02 PM
Sounds like a positive move to me.

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
26-01-2006, 07:33 PM
I'm in. No time better than the present. Make a date.

warrior
26-01-2006, 09:00 PM
i am down in brissy, but i will help if it gets the big nobs to listen to legitament reasons why the dam needs to be protected. down here we are being over run by law makers who only look at the money side of things and not the long term effects all these activaties have on the waterways.ski boats and jet skis on fresh water,what a joke!!!!!!!

DNO40
27-01-2006, 06:23 AM
Count me in !!!! Let me know where and when Trevor.

You are correct in there being countless issues to resolve.

DNO

black_sheep
27-01-2006, 08:22 AM
You have my full support too. Again based in Brissy but will do everything I can do to help support and promote an Awoonga Dam Association.

waggy
27-01-2006, 10:15 AM
Hi Guys, As a previous Sunfish Rep and current stocking group member in this area, can I suggest you tread carefully on which issues you introduce. I reckon a group to liase with the Waterboard is a great idea, especially on issues like infrastructure, car/trailer parking, camping areas, fish release info signage etc. #The dam is finally deregulated which is a good thing for access, but along with this came the deregulation for skiers. The Waterboard are keen to dodge any legal responsibilities so skiers had to ski in the ski area and to do this you had to be a member of the ski club which had rules and criteria that prevented the average person joining. They also had the legal responsibility. This was also largely the reason why anglers couldn't fish at night, the Waterboards fear of a boating accident that could come back and bite them. Any attempt to regulate skiers may raise these fears again and cause the Waterboard to reassess their policy on hours of access. Stocking is solely the responsability of the Waterboard at present. Leave it there as any attempt to input on this issue may result in the Waterboard trying to give this responsibility and the workload that comes with it to a local committee. The dam is stocked far above the levels the SIP scheme could afford so it would be in our interest to leave "well enough alone". # #
Building a good communication with the Waterboard should bring some great outcomes as long as we give careful thought to what we say. # #Anyway, please let me know if I can help. # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # Ray

Pash67
27-01-2006, 11:34 AM
I'm in Trevor.

Adrian

CQ_Fisher
27-01-2006, 03:18 PM
Count me in too, Trev. Keen to hear more

Cheers
Justin

Owen
27-01-2006, 04:39 PM
Sounds good to me.
Sign me up
cheers,

Owen

BigChiefBarra
28-01-2006, 10:06 PM
I'm in, date & time .......

Fitzy
28-01-2006, 10:49 PM
Can I advise catious steps on this one. Ray raised as couple of good points.
I'm not against the idea at all, stake holders should be involved. Tho what I will say is that you need to do this exactly right or you could see services & access restricted in the long term. This lake is currently stocked at "no charge to anglers" at present, any move to undermine the role of GAWB as the "recognised" stocking group might see things like:
-hatchery closed
-forced to join the SIP which will cost all users
-alot of hard work at the committee level that is currently taken care of.
-extra costs involved in creating an incorporated group, insurances etc

Go for it folks, just dont go into this half ar$ed, you could do more damage than you might fix.

Cheers,

fitzy

Awoonga
29-01-2006, 07:34 AM
Fitzy, l here what you are saying and yes if you go in there saying we want this... want that ... we will get the whole lot dumped in our lap...We all dont want that ! ....l am sure that we can work together on issues that need to be addressed....

Rainbowrunner
29-01-2006, 08:09 AM
The current No. of boats, fishing, skiing, daytrippers, is getting bigger and bigger, this is going to get too big eventually and something will have to be done anyway to curb the amount of pollution. It is a drinking water supply.

McCod
30-01-2006, 04:46 PM
Trev.... may be a good idea to get all users involved and not just the fisho's. May have a lot more pull if ya get the other users on side.
The use of any Impoundment is a privilege and not a right and can be easily taken away.

Awoonga
30-01-2006, 05:28 PM
Les just today l got a call from a guy saying he was a member from the local ski club, {How he got my number who knows } Anyway he asked if it was the Associations intention to try and ban skiing at Awoonga.. He had heard that we had GAWB support for this.... Madness.....The dam is a multi use facility and it should stay that way...The Association has not even been formed yet and the rumor mill is in full swing ..There was a veiled threat in his call ..That there where a lot of weathy people in the ski club and any intent to ban them would see them in court.........Banning watersport activities is not on our agenda ..full stop....