PDA

View Full Version : Awoonga-  please point me in the right direct

Big_Native
29-01-2006, 08:24 PM
G"Day All
Heading up to awoonga on the 2,3 and 4th of feb,staying at willowgrove park, Would someone please tell me where the best spots are in awoonga at the moment and what techniques are workin.
I know some people will be a bit hesitant to give out info but it would sure be apreciated, i have 1400klms to travel to get there and just want to succeed.
If anyone is on the dam the days im there dont be afraid to come over for a yarn, the name of my boat is "Big Native"
PS if you dont want to say anything on the open net just send me a pm.
Regards
Damien Webb ( Big Native).

darryl_l
29-01-2006, 09:34 PM
Big Native,

The best thing would be to pour over some of the other posts in the fresh water areas of this site. I am sure you will be able to glean a lot of useful information from that and may find the ausfish members that live in Gladstone area and fish the dam constantly.

Darryl L

Awoonga
30-01-2006, 07:16 AM
Do you intend to troll ? or cast and retrive ...at the moment trolling in the main basin is getting results . Crazy deep lures by RMG/Halco are the go But just remember its called fishing not catching so you are not guaranteed of getting fish

wheezer
30-01-2006, 01:10 PM
yes too right just got back from there it was my worst trip ever with the wind howling and intermittent rain. I only cast and retrieve and no fish caught yet most people were getting results trolling around the main basin day or night. Be prepared to put in the hours on the water

MickS
30-01-2006, 08:54 PM
Just got back yesterday, and agree with Wheezer the wind and rain were no fun.We got nothing on the cast, and only one swirl behind a lure.

Our Barras caught before sunrise(on the troll), after sunrise no Barra. If possible I would suggest fishing the afternoon, local guide starts fishing trips from 1.00pm so there's a hint.A stint with him would not hurt, unfortunatly we did not have the time.

Tried jigging soft plastics during the day, but found it hard to get through the catfish although a couple of big hits kept me interested.

The Boyne river behind Willowgrove has been producing some nice muddies, and some jacks.Took the boat for a run one morning and am thinking of having a poke around next time.

Willowgrove also has it's busiest times at full moons, anothet hint.

Limited carparks at the Awoonga ramp, they start filling at 4.30 am, otherwise a bit of a walk.

Cafe at Awoonga is closed until further notice, various stories going around as the why, most probably hearsay.

Our first trip, had some fun, got some fish, none of the biggies though, but will be back.

Blue /Green lures caught our Barra, deep trolled.

Hope this helps

Cheers

born2fly
30-01-2006, 10:07 PM
I'm heading up on the 10th till 14th to fish the full moon. This seems to be the pick time, however there is a lot of water between fish.
My Old man picked up a ripper 117cm trolling in the morning straight out from the dam wall bouys on a green deep diving Halco Poltergeist (large one), and managed to break of 3 others in the same area. Another tip if you want to try casting is in some of the bays close to the boat ramp once everyone has taken off - try Sand vipers around those areas as he said there were a few caught at night using this method.

Good luck on your trip, I'll be there the following week to try the full moon lead up.