PDA

View Full Version : dam fishin help needed

scotty
25-01-2006, 05:43 PM
ive only reasely got into dam fishin with the first couple of time geting a fish or two but of late i cant manange a thing what do i ned to look for when fishin in a dam where t flick lures my last three trips have all been unsuceesful with only a spangled perdch cauhght

any help is greatly appreicated

cheers

scotty

fishingnottake
25-01-2006, 07:48 PM
what kind fo fish are you chasing? what lures/bait. which dams etc?

scotty
25-01-2006, 08:28 PM
bass yellas silvers mainly maroon moogerah somerset

Canoedle
25-01-2006, 11:23 PM
Time of day is most important in my experience, best time for me has always been just as the sun is going down and shortly after although on ocasion I have had good fishing for up to 3 hours before sunset. Early morning is good too, but I usually like to sleep in and its a good hours drive to any dam worth fishing from my place. Bass generally take lures from below so shallow swimming bibs or surface lures seem to work best, yet some ppl swear soft plastics are the solution to every problem, havent yet proven that theory in the fresh, but I have to admit that they have finally won me over in the estuary. I am a lazy bugga when it comes to bass fishing, I usually rig up a couple of rod holders on my 15' canadian canoe and troll a couple shallow running bibs, one either side and coast along enjoying the scenery, it's a beaut way to spend an afternoon, even if ya don't hook a couple or big uns. I'm heading up to Wyvenhoe to have a crack next weekend, here's hoping for something special, one of the locals told me he saw a guy pull a 7Kg bass out of the there not too long ago, but I won't hold my breath for that one, sheesh, that sucker would tow me half way to noosa. :p

JAS
26-01-2006, 03:16 PM
Hi Canoedle,

I think that the person that told you that they sore a 7kg bass may be pulling your leg, A 7lb bass is more like it if it came from wivenhoe. At this time of year it get's hard to bet the catfish off the lures before the bass can get to it but look in deep water and keep the retieves fast and you never know.

JAS

Canoedle
26-01-2006, 03:18 PM
Cheers ;)

jimbolikes_barra
26-01-2006, 05:30 PM
geez seven kilo that sounds like one of those wayward imbred barra

he he just jokin :o ;D

Scalem
26-01-2006, 10:47 PM
If you jig a Jackal lure catching a Bass has to be high odds. They are about $30.00 or just under to purchase, but well worth it. ;)

Scalem

Canoedle
26-01-2006, 11:28 PM
Yeah, it's a bit more than I would normally spend, any particular colour work better in impoundments like wivenhoe? And also when you say jig em, you mean, right on the bottom?

black_sheep
27-01-2006, 08:30 AM
Canoedle,

As Scalem said, bit expensive but dynamite on Bass. I've found the olive green one of the better colours. They work so well because they have a titanium bottom lip which causes them to sit nose down with the tail wiggling. I've had lots of success working them extra slow and even at dead stop, you will still feel the Bass nipping at it as the tail is nearly always quivering. Cheaper substitute - Kokoda lures but they only have bearings in the nose. You can try drilling the nose and adding additional weight.

Good luck.

Canoedle
27-01-2006, 05:58 PM
Cheers, will give em a try. ;)

Scalem
01-02-2006, 10:03 PM
Yes the Kokoda are a dead ringer for the Jackal, but I have not tried them. I am normally a salty so I have not tried Wivenhoe or Somerset yet, but my freshy deckie is itching to get there.... Pitty I have the boat... We had a good day at Maroon on Jackal's recently and we only fished the one colour (which is the only colour we had, darn expensive to have the whole range) and it was a transparent smokey white with immitation scales.

The on line ordering sponsor who's banner add I am looking at right now has them in stock, and at good prices. Why risk not having the right lure, spend a little dosh and come home with a smile. ;)

Scalem