PDA

View Full Version : cod fishing spots

scotty
27-01-2006, 03:51 PM
hey everebody
just wondering if anyone would be willing to share a few cod spots with me around qld had a real nice hole on a property but the prperty was sold and the new owners wont lets us on the land anymore im really keen to tangle with a few cod this year and need o no some nice holes camping spots

if you dont wont to tell the spot pm me as your secret are safe with me

cheers
\
scotty

scotty
27-01-2006, 04:37 PM
are there any camping spot on the servern river at stanthorpe

Goodoochaser
28-01-2006, 03:35 PM
Scotty,

If you have a boat Glenlyon Dam is still producing a few good cod and if you are coming in from the Stanthorpe direction to the dam it is worth staying at Sundown National Park a couple of nights and giving the holes there a try. The trick with Sundown is to walk in to the water holes further in, if they are accessable by 4x4 give them a miss, its the more remote and harder to get to that will produce fish even when the water is low, you would be amazed at the number of people that will only fish the spots they can drive to.
Sundown can be accessed 2 ways, from Ballandean, 4x4 only. Or the western side, conventional vehicle access to the camping area from the Stanthorpe Texas Glenlyon road side ( Southwestern end) there are some realy good camping site set ups on the inland side, Then follow the river in by foot and flick a lure into any likely looking hole. Over the years this has produced some nice fish for me, but as I said go that extra mile to reach the more remote areas that cannot be reached by vehicle.

If you are near Stanthorpe give Stormking dam a go, the dam is small and the water level is very low but it is a well stocked impoundment and produces some very good fish at times, I am itching to wet a line myself as I am currenty recovering from heart surgery but carn't launch my boat yet, Stormking is only 20 min away from where I live, its driving me nuts anyhow hope the info helps.

Nearly forgot most of the Severn river flows though private property, so camping would require property owners permission, there are spots you can access the water but the district south of Stanthorpe seems to have missed out on a lot of the rain so the river is quite low.

Good fishing,

Howard.

Canoedle
28-01-2006, 03:45 PM
I hear Maroon has some big Cod m8

scotty
29-01-2006, 12:23 PM
thanx goodoo for the info

Batters_QLD
01-02-2006, 11:42 PM
hey mate if your really want some good cod fishing stick to the rivers as your much more likely to catch cod in them than the dams. sundown isnt a bad spot when the rivers up you can fish the whole river and catch cod but im guessing its quite low now so head to what they call the permanant whole, its on the western side, drive as far as you can then take a 20min walk and your there. ive caught my biggest cod there (13 pound) but last time we went there the water was pretty low and could not get a touch on the usual lures that work, we ended up with about 4-6 cod on a home made spoon lure. we usually fish the dumeric around riverton and we always catch cod, but get a fair flogging theses days.
let us know if you do any good

cheers mick