PDA

View Full Version : Tassie Trip

Tropicaltrout
28-01-2006, 10:59 AM
We had a ball down there in Tassie we fished Lake Pedder, and the three chain Lakes. Myself and my uncle went down for 8 days fishing with around thirty fish to bring home and released a few as well. #We fished our annual club comp at lake pedder where the first one was held 21 years ago sort of a return to pedder thing the fish are small but still fun. I fished with my fellow queenslander partner #uncle John Rowe from Borumba we braved the windy conditoins after waiting nearly all day.
We mannaged to hook a few but lost them I snaged a couple and that was enough to seal a victory.

After comp day the weather fined up and it was fly time, fish every were.... # two lovely day of warm sun,the we headed for the chain lake's and it was on there twowith plenty of nice rainbows and brownies what a trip!!!

warrior
28-01-2006, 07:46 PM
being an ex tassie(no jokes) brings back great memories of the fishing in the highlands, will go back some day to fish again.

Tropicaltrout
28-01-2006, 08:11 PM
Good on ya guys heres a photo of my fearless buddiesworking left to right is me (Nathan) Franko, My dad Kerry and John Rowe.

Tropicaltrout
28-01-2006, 11:10 PM
The best thing about fishing in Tassie is the breath taking seanery this is the sentinals range at lake pedder in the south west national park. what more could you want veiws like this from your bout whist fly fishing for wild trout. ;)

Tropicaltrout
28-01-2006, 11:15 PM
this is lake Binney Now stocked with browns rainbows, Brookies and atlantic salmon

Tropicaltrout
28-01-2006, 11:48 PM
The Catch

the_matrix
29-01-2006, 07:01 AM
Hey Tropical,
Lucky bugger. I havent thought about Tassie for a while, been caught up in other fishing, but your post certainly reminded me. Ive always thought to myself that the only thing I missed about NSW (now that I live in QLD) was my 4 trips a year to fish the Thredbo River.
Wandering mountain streams with a 5 weight, ducking between the tea tree's, totally absorbed in the experience.
Your post reminded me of the Tassie trips. Log cabins at Bronte, scenery impossible to describe, crisp mountain air, Incredible lakes full of trout and warm friendly people.
Ive made a mental note to include Tassie into my "only thing I miss about NSW" list, even though Tassie's not in NSW. But its an aweful lot closer than Gladstone. ;D
Cheers.
Jas

Tropicaltrout
30-01-2006, 09:50 PM
;)Mate I try to get there once a year and everytime i go there its a great felling sort of weird I guess i have fished for nearly all kinds of fish Tuna, Marlin, Barra, but the humble trout has to be one of my favourites, its a real stalking thing move too quick and you spook him move too slow and he move's on but lay that fly right on him and he eats the fly next to yours ha ha, ;D

Cheers for your intrest. Tropical Trout

the_matrix
31-01-2006, 08:21 AM
TT,
Yeh its pretty hard to beat. Its the whole experience, plus a trip away with your mates is always a lasting memory.
Trout fishing is where it all started for me.

My fishing background started with trout when I was eight. It moved up through all the bread and butter species, LBG off the rocks, then on to blue water species, mainly Yellowfin and Marlin.
Ten years on a Blue water charter boat slowed me up a little, but is something I still love to do.
Nowadays, the impoundment scene has got me by the short and curleys, but I still love hitting the salt,the mountain streams, the beach, the shelf etc etc. I guess when you are a fishaholic like we are, EVERY style or type will appeal.
Mates back home often say "how could you be still intereted in Trout, they are tiny compared to Barra".
They might'n not be as big, but wiley old Trout is a formidable foe, and results come down to how good you can stalk and how perfect your presentation is.
Ive seen little evidence of stupid trout, every one you catch, you earn. (In mountain streams at least.)
They will always remain an important species for me.
Make sure you post when you go back! ;D
Jas

Tropicaltrout
31-01-2006, 07:06 PM
To right mate I hope to go back next jan again just depends on the wife, if you know what i mean. But I am A pretty strict freash water man aswell love chasing the saratoga,bass and barra up here. I don't mind going out for some reefies every know and then.

cheers for you intrest jas.

bugman
01-02-2006, 09:29 AM
TT,

I'm Tassie born and bred and cut my teeth fishing for wild browns up the back of the Mersey River around Railton and beyond. Used to catch nice fish out of Bells Parade at Latrobe - no-one would beleive me but persistence used to pay off.

My first real venture up to the Highlands didn't come until I was 14 when we walked in to Lake Ada and Flora with a mates dad. A 14 hour day starting to walk in the dark and finishing the walk in the dark. Fishing all day and catching magnificent browns on celtas and little minnows was amazing. There's no-one else there and the only sound is the wind rustling across the surface of the lake and through the grass tussocks.

An old blok across the road took me under his wing and taught me fly casting. He wouldn't let me take the rod to the water until I could successfuly land the fly in bucket in my backyard from about 10 metres. I was 15 at the time and for someone as impatient as me this was one of the most frustating times of my life. ;D

He died before I got a chance to fish with him on fly which was an absolute tragedy and I never really felt right taking it to the water edge after that.

I started going back to Tassie seriously about 6 years ago and now make a trip up to the Lakes part of the itinery. I plan to leave the tinny at home in recent trips and get back to basics and walk from lake to lake casting from the shore.

There really is nothing like it in the world. Magic

Brett

Paul_Dolan
01-02-2006, 10:20 PM
G/day Nathan,great to hear ya had a good time mate,I was talkin to Jonno on monday night and he was tellin me all about the trip.
Hard to believe that it was 11 years ago that I went down there with him to fish for the trout and would love to go back again one day.They are a special fish to catch and I enjoyed them very much.Great to see a pic of the boys together and gee ya dads lookin good mate,
Hope all is good for ya Regards Paul

Tropicaltrout
02-02-2006, 10:04 PM
Good on ya brett its good to see you got the love of the hole world of trout fishing it is trult magic!! . Its a sham about the old mate but hes probably casting a fly in much better waters up there. Those area like ada botsford rocky and carters are really challenging but the rewards a worth it I fished that whole aream and the crystal clear water freash winds and stunning landscape can realy make you feel far away, let alone when you hook a fish up there they seem to pull harded and longer, mybe because the living is pristine.
anyway mate I could go on all night thanks for your post,

Nathan

Tropicaltrout
02-02-2006, 10:20 PM
Hey Paul its good to hear from you mate. 11 years hey well you know what you must do, come with us next year, its would be great to have you with us.
. Dad is well its was two years since his transplant last month, and all is still well. Hes a tuff old man and nothing would keep him away from those Lakes. He will be here next year in may so he might get up there this time. It was a really good trip to fish in those surroundings with Dad, Johno, and Franko was brilliant.
Anyhow mate hope to get up to lenthalls this year and might even hit callide so all the best and hope to catch up through the year..... Nathan

Paul_Dolan
03-02-2006, 09:26 PM
G/day Nathan,yeh time goes by quick mate,would like to take ya dad out when he comes up to repay the hospitality he showd me all those years back.Great to hear he's doin well :) dam nice bloke your dad is as with the rest of'em.Might get to see Jono in the next coupla days will have to see how things pan out.
Would love to go down there with ya's next year if I got the time and money,and if ya commin up this way let me know.
Regards Paul