PDA

View Full Version : Somerset

wrip109
20-02-2006, 07:27 AM
I have just got my boat back from the workshop so I decided to go to Somerset to test it. Now all this year I have had little success at Somerset - just the odd bass.

So I took my fishing gear anyway but my boat had been emptied before going to the workshop (you never know do you?) so I load everything I needed and off I went.

Wow! it was windy. The boat seemed ok so I decided to pull a lure behind me. I had a Jackall which I had never tried; still in its packet. I threw it over the back and just as I was putting the rod in its holder off it went. Gotta be stuck on the bottom. Hey the bottom does not pull like that! Good grief I have caught a big one. All skill on my part of course!.

It really is big. Took me ages to get it to the boat. 2kg line with 3kg Vanish leader. I reach for my landing net and - Bummer I forgot to bring it.

The fish is next to the boat now(yellowbelly) and it might even break my 55cm record. Its mouth is full of my lure so I aint gonna stick my thumb in there. Arh! the comfort lift. The boat is all over the place because of the wind, but I carefully put my hand in the water and in 2 foot waves reach under the fish. Easy, easy, I lift up the fish - It's mine! Just then a skier comes past me at a million miles an hour within 20 feet. I know the dam isn't very big and there are two of us out there so it's very crowded. He just HAS to come right next to me. Anywhere else and he might have been lonely.

The boat goes crazy, so does the fish- Bang! - 1 lost fish and one lost $30 lure(Used for 1 cast only).

I hate skiers
I hate fishing
I hate buying lures
I hate Somerset
I hate life
I hate everything
I will never go fishing again

Phil
(Might go next week anyway 'cause I am crazy)

Feral
20-02-2006, 08:05 AM
Shoulda had a second line rigged wiv something real jaggy to toss the mongrels way!

Adamy
20-02-2006, 07:08 PM
Very nice wrip... about sums up my experience - Hate it... but gotta go again.. and again... and again We truly are a sick breed us fishos!!

ahoj
20-02-2006, 08:42 PM
Wrip

Next time don't get so organised... ;D ;D

Ahoj

Elysium
21-02-2006, 03:15 PM
to avoid situations like that why not get a boga grip...you can the cheaper Berkley style that are ideally suited for controlling bass when landing/removing hooks. I think my pair cost just over $30 off memory. Well worth it I say.

Dont really need to say this (because you mentioned the comfort lift) but dont go hanging the fish vertical for too long...do more harm then good!

P.S You shouldnt be paying more than $25 for jackalls these days

wrip109
21-02-2006, 05:07 PM
To be really honest it DID cost $25 - but $30 makes the story sound better :) I always use my landing net because I think it harms the fish the least, however in this case the fish would have been a guest at lunch. Next time I am going overboard to get it.

The fish is growing by the way as I tell the story. It is now over 70cms.

(Never let the truth spoil a good story...)

Phil
::)