PDA

View Full Version : fresh water muscles

Canoedle
06-02-2006, 03:01 PM
Hi all, had a pretty poor trip to Wivenhoe on the weekend, heaps of catfish and banded grunter. got a few gar and one spangled perch, but too small to eat.
My question is, has anyone eaten the muscles that you get in the fresh? I brought back a dozen and have em in some water cleaning, if they arent worth eating I will release em in our dam.

chanquetas
06-02-2006, 04:40 PM
I know someone who has eaten them, and he reckons they are ok, but you would have seen all the signs at Wivenhoe warning you about algal bloom, and "dont drink the water".
I saw them there too after I skidded my Hobie onto them and put big gouges in my hull :'(.

I would be interested to know if they are edible myself.

Cheers,
Jake

Feral
06-02-2006, 07:25 PM
I have eaten them in the past, but they need a lot of stewing, they are tough as old boots. (Generally on week long fishing trips, when enough grog flowed to be silly enough to eat em!)

Canoedle
06-02-2006, 07:38 PM
LOL ok, might just chuck em in the dam then :P

Darryl
06-02-2006, 07:40 PM
Wild pigs love em, iv'e never tried them tho so cant help ya.

McCod
06-02-2006, 08:39 PM
Mussels.... chuck em in the coals or on the hot plate and when the shell opens up there ready to eat :P May need a bit of Salt and pepper
Great catfish bait also.

Cheers Les

petelaska
07-02-2006, 10:21 AM
Ive chucked a few into my boys fish tank they seem to keep the water clean
havn't had to change the water for ages

Louis
07-02-2006, 11:06 AM
I camp and fish at Wivenhoe quite frequently.

On one occasion I decided to throw some of the muscles on the barbeque and have a go at them.

I ate one. That was enough for me.

Personally I thought they tasted really bad.

I don't mind eating Catfish and Shovelies which some people shy away from but I draw the line at these foul tasteing things.

But each to there own.

I'm sure that there are some who quite enjoy their taste.

Louis

Canoedle
07-02-2006, 01:30 PM
They are safely in their new home now :P

Jim_Tait
08-02-2006, 09:50 AM
I have eaten them and they weren't too bad but I did prepare them in a way some would say camoflages the taste - i.e. let em clean themeselves out for a day or so - quiclky broil them in a shallow frying pan few seconds to get shells open - shuck them out of their shells - drop into egg then bread crumbs - fry just long enouth to cook through (not too long as will make tough) then eat with chilli sauce - preferbly 'pric nan pla' - don't know if that is the way you spell it but Thai sauce made with fresh chillies, lime and fish sauce.

Regards - Jim

paz
13-02-2006, 05:22 PM
best freshwater shrimp bait i have ever come across....and they come in their own container to freeze em....
paz

onionpants
20-02-2006, 01:09 AM
I tried eating fresh water mussels back in the USA and thought they were awful. They tasted like dirt. It was in Massachusetts, and there was no point in eating them anyway as there were plenty of delicious salt water mussels in the nearby estuaries. Brings up an interesting question for me to post on the salt water board.....

Truck
21-02-2006, 11:43 AM
They taste like mud. i wouldn't eat them.

fishingnottake
21-02-2006, 06:13 PM
They taste like mud. i wouldn't eat them.
the how do you know tey taste like mud? ;)

laz
26-02-2006, 02:15 PM
Fresh water mussels tried them raw once from the Leichhardt river definitely an acquried taste but if it was choice between them or starving i'd go the mussels