PDA

View Full Version : Michelle's first barra

Kayak1
22-02-2006, 10:25 PM
The morning of 18th February dawned fine and calm on what promised to be a hot day, temperature wise, on the waters of Awoonga. 13 year old daughter Michelle was dead keen to hook up with a barra to add to her impressive species list. I was promising nothing as apart from being jumped off twice and having the hooks pull on another occasion, my only barra at Awoonga was a 56cm version. However I had gleaned some knowledge from several sources and was quietly expectant if not confident of a successful outing. As we launched the tinnie the sun went back to sleep behind a low lying cloud to delay the start of the rise in temperature. After a few casts at promising spots I decided to troll the areas previously identified as having fish holed up in them. While Michelle is quite adept at using her light threadline outfit, she had not practiced with my baitcasting outfits and trolling with them was the most suitable option. We worked an area where I had caught the 56cm baby a few days earlier and where I had seen two quality fish taken by other anglers. Sunscreen was liberally applied as the sun poked out from behind the early morning cloud and began its traverse in earnest. Things were proving to be very quiet until around 7.00am when Michelle's outfit, a light Silstar stick with an old but good ABU 5600 loaded with 30lb braid, gave two bucks before doubling over in her hands and she was on... or was she as the rod straightened briefly before again curving over and the fish was taking line rapidly. I knocked the motor into neutral and retrieved my line to clear the way to provide Michelle with any assistance she may need. I had previously coached her with the tactics needed with a big fish, particularly close to the boat. She knew better than to ask for help when hooked up. It was some 5 years earlier as an 8 year old when she went head to head with a 490mm bass at Cania. Didn't that thing go! She screamed for help on that occasion, got plenty of encouragement, but had to fight the fish herself. Mind you, when we got colour on that one my knees felt a bit weak. She also holds the family record for biggest Yellow at Cania. Back to the present... Michelle was playing this big fish with dogged determination and a fair bit of skill despite losing grip on the reel handled a couple of times as some sunscreen had found its way there even though she tried to be careful to wipe it off. One of these occasions coincided with another run against the drag resulting in a line burn across the wrist and thumb area holding the rod. This wasn't remembered until later as adrenalin is a powerful pain suppressant. As the big fish got closer we got a glimpse of colour and saw to our satisfaction that it was a nice barra. Several more anxious minutes followed as Michelle tried to remember and action the tactics needed close to the boat. The action seesawed a little at this point which saw Michelle manouvering around the boat, keeping the rod clear of the side of the boat and the line clear of the keel. The fish was finally steered into the net to be lifted, measured and photographed before being placed back into its own environment and fully revived before swimming off strongly. From zero to hero in a few short minutes... 81cm of prime Awoonga barra...and a smile that was so wide it made her face ache. The day could not get any better and after a few mor minutes trolling we called it quits...until next time.

Steve.

DNO40
23-02-2006, 06:03 AM
Well done Michelle, Oh and Steve. #Top stuff catching that first sizeable Barra, any pics ?

DNO

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
23-02-2006, 09:26 AM
My ears tune in to those stories!
How sweet it is!!!
Johnny M

waggy
23-02-2006, 10:00 AM
Well written Steve, It's great to make memories with the kids, but as time passes, you need to maximise your fish and slowly minimise hers, just to keep things in perspective!!!!
That 56 can easily become a 65 while her 81 could end up as a 18. Maybe you could confuse her barra with the Bass's size until you have a bigger Barra. Any, good luck as it seems each time you take her out, she comes home with the goods. A good bit of coaching I think. Regards, Ray

Kayak1
23-02-2006, 07:52 PM
Sorry people. :'( No pics available at this stage. Captured on film, not digital so will have to catch a few more to fill up the film ;) Will post in the barra pics section when available.

Steve

HAZY
24-02-2006, 09:45 AM
Well done Steve what a great story,(report) it was like one of those novels you pick up and cant put it down until you have finished it well done and congratulations to MICHELLE..

CHEERS HAZY

Kayak1
27-02-2006, 03:29 PM
Couple of images to go with the report.

Kayak1
27-02-2006, 03:30 PM
During the fight.

Cheers, Steve.

tonofffun
03-03-2006, 11:00 PM
The morning of 18th February dawned fine and calm on what promised to be a hot day, temperature wise, on the waters of Awoonga. 13 year old daughter Michelle was dead keen to hook up with a barra to add to her impressive species list. I was promising nothing as apart from being jumped off twice and having the hooks pull on another occasion, my only barra at Awoonga was a 56cm version. However I had gleaned some knowledge from several sources and was quietly expectant if not confident of a successful outing. As we launched the tinnie the sun went back to sleep behind a low lying cloud to delay the start of the rise in temperature. After a few casts at promising spots I decided to troll the areas previously identified as having fish holed up in them. While Michelle is quite adept at using her light threadline outfit, she had not practiced with my baitcasting outfits and trolling with them was the most suitable option. We worked an area where I had caught the 56cm baby a few days earlier and where I had seen two quality fish taken by other anglers. Sunscreen was liberally applied as the sun poked out from behind the early morning cloud and began its traverse in earnest. Things were proving to be very quiet until around 7.00am when Michelle's outfit, a light Silstar stick with an old but good ABU 5600 loaded with 30lb braid, gave two bucks before doubling over in her hands and she was on... or was she as the rod straightened briefly before again curving over and the fish was taking line rapidly. I knocked the motor into neutral and retrieved my line to clear the way to provide Michelle with any assistance she may need. I had previously coached her with the tactics needed with a big fish, particularly close to the boat. She knew better than to ask for help when hooked up. It was some 5 years earlier as an 8 year old when she went head to head with a 490mm bass at Cania. Didn't that thing go! She screamed for help on that occasion, got plenty of encouragement, but had to fight the fish herself. Mind you, when we got colour on that one my knees felt a bit weak. She also holds the family record for biggest Yellow at Cania. Back to the present... Michelle was playing this big fish with dogged determination and a fair bit of skill despite losing grip on the reel handled a couple of times as some sunscreen had found its way there even though she tried to be careful to wipe it off. One of these occasions coincided with another run against the drag resulting in a line burn across the wrist and thumb area holding the rod. This wasn't remembered until later as adrenalin is a powerful pain suppressant. As the big fish got closer we got a glimpse of colour and saw to our satisfaction that it was a nice barra. Several more anxious minutes followed as Michelle tried to remember and action the tactics needed close to the boat. The action seesawed a little at this point which saw Michelle manouvering around the boat, keeping the rod clear of the side of the boat and the line clear of the keel. The fish was finally steered into the net to be lifted, measured and photographed before being placed back into its own environment and fully revived before swimming off strongly. From zero to hero in a few short minutes... 81cm of prime Awoonga barra...and a smile that was so wide it made her face ache. The day could not get any better and after a few mor minutes trolling we called it quits...until next time.

Steve.
good on her steve well done u will be more proud of that fish than any fish u have ever caught well done michelle keep them coming