PDA

View Full Version : Ebor Trout

ynotaj
17-02-2006, 08:25 PM
Hi guys I'm hoping someone can help me out, I was told that at one stage John West bought smoked trout from Ebor :-?. I am going to Ebor in early march with some mates for a weekend away and I told them about the smoked trout that John West buys from there, and well I think they are still laughing, when I left them tonight they had tears streaming down there faces, my mates gave me heaps over this and I want to prove to them that I was right so I need some proof.

Oh and I will be taking a rod with me to Ebor so I can catch so of these John West trouts ;D so can I can get some tips on where to go fishing and what to use, my tackel box is stocked for bream and bass so I might need to do some shopping before I go.

And the proof can the dodgy just as long as it looks real ;D maybe there is an ausfish member who is a printer and I can get a John West label made up to glue onto one of their other trout cans ;D.

cheers
Tony

Dannyboy
17-02-2006, 09:25 PM
Mate they have never sold smoked anything at Ebor! Ebor is a very small town and has some great wild trout fishing but no smoked trout!

Before you start fishing get a licence.

sf17fisherman
17-02-2006, 11:07 PM
can't or should i say i don't want to say much but i can tell you ebor has a trout hachery and that may be where westie is getting the trout from

as for the main trout they are pretty small most of the time and the best place to find then apart from the hatchery is in the water ;D

Big_unit
18-02-2006, 12:17 AM
Ebor Store sells the best Bacon Ive ever tasted & it was smoked in fact Im sure it was double smoked, I will never forget it. I used to manage a Dairy at Deervale, and another Dairy down the road also had a supplementary income from stocking Trout in dams for grow out and people would pay to fish the dams as well. From memory the Trout all went on to be processed & smoked, not sure where though. Spose I could make a call and find out. The farm I was on, we used to get quite a few guys come and ask if they could fish our dams and creeks. I know that the local Trout fishers from Dorrigo used to rave about Tassie Devils in a fair range of colours.

Cheers
James

klyons
18-02-2006, 10:54 AM
ynotaj

Up until a few years ago there was and I presume still is a trout hatchery outside Ebor on the road to the New England National park. Ponds full of the things that you can feed. Both at the hatchery and at the local store, smoked trout could be bought. They were very good.

Just checked the mighty google. JP Dutton trout hatchery still there.

Kev

fish_outta_water
18-02-2006, 10:13 PM
here in u.k do a lot of fishing for brown and rainbow most productive lure ive found was a 2 inch sp shad on a light jig head (bout 10 gram) earth worms good bait
good luck mate
ps. you could always try smoking em youself

ynotaj
19-02-2006, 08:32 AM
Thanks guys, looks like the John West story is going to bring me undone with my mates, they were up me again last night at a bbq and I did my best to hang in there and convince them but I think I am just digging a deeper hole for myself ;D, all good fun though and looks like its going to be one of those things that lasts for a while.

tony

matuka
19-02-2006, 09:46 AM
ynotaj

The hatchery lost all of its brood stock during the January heatwave. #I don't know what conditions the streams are in at the moment but it's hard to believe they did not also suffer some fish loss given what happened at the hatchery. #Fishing in the Ebor district has not been good for a number of years now so I wouldn't get too excited about your prospects in March. #However as a lot of people on this forum know it's difficult to have a bad day walking a trout stream even if you don't catch a fish. There are some beautiful streams down that way especially when the Rain Gods have been kind.

Good luck
Matuka

LOUIE
19-02-2006, 12:04 PM
;DMate

Just go to the remaining servo in town and they will fix you up with as much smoked trout as you need to convince the sceptics.

The trout farm at Guyra produces smoked trout you can purchase it at many outlets in Armidale.

Travelled thru there yesterday and there is a very productive fresh in all streams between Dorrigo and Ebor, cant comment on the fish bite although there were a few fly fishers poking about.

LOUIE ::)

ynotaj
20-02-2006, 08:22 PM
You are spot on matuka getting out for a walk in a stream is great even if you don't catch any fish :).

Louie, looks like rivers are up all over, I'm on the richmond which has a nice flow at the moment and just did a sunday family drive along the clarence upstream from the gorge down to grafton and she also has a really fast flow going.

Looking forward to going to ebor fish or no fish.

cheers guys
tony

pjfrad
21-02-2006, 09:32 AM
Hey,

There is an article on the Shore Fishing Australia website about Trout fishing in Ebor. Take a look at:

http://www.shorefishingaustralia.com.au/Articles.do?action=Show&articleType=Fishy%20Tales&articleName=From+SA+to+Ebor...

Hope this helps

Peter

Big_unit
22-02-2006, 08:46 PM
PJFrad,
Thats a good article and a very good site.

Cheers
James

pjfrad
23-02-2006, 10:28 AM
Thanks James,

It's nice to get a bit of feedback on the site. I would love to do more fishing to be able to write article and less time at the PC working on it but that's the way it goes sometimes and I do love doing the site.

Peter

ynotaj
28-02-2006, 04:02 PM
Thanks Peter,

That is a good article, I'm looking forward to getting down there, not long now only a couple of weeks to go.

Not sure how I'll do though, I don't have any fly fishing gear and will have to make do with my braid and shimano sahara rack raider setup, I have heaps of sp all sorts but no flys, can you cast flys with braid and an eggbeater ?

This is a bike riding trip for some mates, I don't ride and will be driving up and won't get there until about 3 in the afternoon, can you fish for trout at anytime of the day or is it better in mornings and afternoons ?

cheers for the info guys, I'll let you know how I do

Tony

ynotaj
28-02-2006, 04:23 PM
Hey Peter,

I have just read a couple of your articles, well done mate you have some good tips there, looks like you have an Ian Miller rod in your hand in one of your pictures showing how to walk and carrying your rod, thats one of the types of setups I have and the one I am going to have to take to Ebor.

Keep up the good work mate

Tony

hussy
28-02-2006, 09:35 PM
used to fish ebor nearly every weekend mate. the only thing you can get there that is smoked, is bloody black snakes good fishin great spot.

pjfrad
01-03-2006, 10:07 AM
Tony,

Thanks and I'm very happy that you enjoy the articles ;D. That's why I write them. I've also got one on Trout Fishing in Thredbo that I'm about to publish but that's about fly fishing more than anything else. I'll let you know when it's up on the site if you like.

The setup you are taking to ebor with you sounds Perfect then. We nailed a few trout on that setup and small celta's (spinning blade lures) whilst in Thredbo.

Peter

matuka
03-03-2006, 05:40 PM
ynotaj

A while back I commented on how the Ebor hatchery had lost all of its fish because of the summer heat, well here's the latest news from down that way (copied from ABC On-line this afternoon);

Fish escape risk

Further upstream, four workers at the Ebor trout hatchery expect to be stranded for at least several more hours because the causeway that connects the facility to the main road is flooded.

A guide attendant at the hatchery, Anthony Coulson, says it is possible that more rain may enable some fish to escape.

"We can't get too much extra, because if we do get too much and they come up over the ponds, well they can easily up and go, up and swim away," he said.

"We've still got a few feet to go yet, at this stage they're safe at the moment.

"I've been told that it has happened before, back in early 2001, it actually came up and we lost a few fish that way."

You might be in for a big weekend after all!

Regards
Matuka

ynotaj
04-03-2006, 09:16 PM
Thanks Matuka,

I just hope it stops raining before I get there, we go on the 11th.

I have just finished watching a berkely dvd where mad dog was catching trout on sp, they always make it look easy, you have to wonder if they put the fish on the hooks then through them out again for the camera's ;)

ynotaj
04-03-2006, 09:21 PM
bugger hit the wrong button and didn't get a chance to check my post, it should of been like this

Thanks Matuka,

I just hope it stops raining before I get there, we go on the 11th.

I have just finished watching a berkley dvd where Adam 'mad dog'Royter was catching trout on sp, they always make it look easy, you have to wonder if they put the fish on the hooks then throw them out again for the camera's.

Thanks for the info I will make a note of the abc on line site.

cheers
Tony