PDA

View Full Version : Bass Tips

jackash
09-03-2006, 11:16 PM
Heading to the upper Brizzy River on the weekend to ahve a crack at a few bass. Have only ahd one other go at them and wasnt that successful... so jsut looking for some hints on softies, spinner baits and poppers. What to look for and how to work them.
Cheers
Jackash

Matthias
10-03-2006, 03:26 PM
I use surface lures in the late arvy. Things like double jointed jitterbugs, and fizzers work the best for me. During the day try your HB's, SP's and spinnerbaits. Apparently darker colours work better but I believe that lure placement is more important. Bass will hit out of aggression so throw close to where they lurk to make em angry.

goodluck ;)

jackash
10-03-2006, 05:35 PM
Cheers mate. Thanks for that. Will make sure i get whatever I'm using in a close to the snags. Any tips on the retrieve... will something similar to what i use for bream work?? or should it be different.
Cheers
Jackash

Toppy
10-03-2006, 05:50 PM
Hey Jackash, Fish Dawn or Dusk on the surface if its still, lures as Matthias mentioned are perfect. If you want an easy lure to work use heddon tiny torpedo in frog green or baby bass.
These are deadly on bass & still one of the best topwater lures in America.

They cast well so get them in close to the snags or weed edges & wind slowly some pauses can help but I find a constant retrieve is best.
They make a small wake similar to that of a beetle thats drowning & they love it!

They arnt cheap but the prop will spin every time you open the packet unlike some of the cheap knock offs.

If its a little windy use something that bloops on the surface like Pop-R or Chug Bugs other wise small hard bodies & spinner baits to get down a little.

If you think SP's on the coast is addictive, you just wait till you get these guys sussed.

If you have a canoe there is some great water at Lowood west of Brisy & if you have 2 cars you can park one at each end of the river so you dont have to fish the same section twice.

Remember the early bird catches the worm!
Cheers & good luck
Toppy

jackash
10-03-2006, 06:22 PM
Thanks amte that awesome advice... will defs give the little fizzers and surface lures a crack. Dont have a canoe but are in the process of looking at one. Cant wait to get out there and get into them.
Cheers
Jackash