PDA

View Full Version : Somerset ramps?

Paul_C
07-03-2006, 11:15 AM
Last time I launched from Kirkleigh, the earliest time you could get throught the gates was 5 am.

If you really want to get on the water around daybreak, you'll need to camp overnight.

Luc

Daybreak out here at the momment is about 5am

Paul Cade

tiges
07-03-2006, 06:26 PM
Hey Ausfisher's. Was after a bit of help regarding where's best to launch at Somerset. I've only been there once, and at the time my bro-in law was already camped at Kirkleigh, so his boat was already in the water. Am I right in the fact you can phone the campground ahead and they'll give you a pin # for the gate, keep in mind I'm only on a fishing daytrip. Do they charge you a fee? I understand there's a ramp down near the dam wall too, is this one open 24hrs? I wanna be on the water at first light, so any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Tiges

McCod
07-03-2006, 07:51 PM
Tiges.... yep ya right! just phone up Kirkleigh and get a pin # and ya can be on the dam @ 04:00 if ya want.... no fee charged :) Can't get in at the Spit "near dam wall" though till they open the gates.... I think there locked around 7 or 8 pm. Launching a boat @ kirkleigh is not a problem with a bit of care.

Cheers Les

tiges
07-03-2006, 08:15 PM
Onya McCod, much appreciated.

The_Walrus
07-03-2006, 08:29 PM
Last time I launched from Kirkleigh, the earliest time you could get throught the gates was 5 am.

If you really want to get on the water around daybreak, you'll need to camp overnight.

Luc

greyfox
12-03-2006, 08:49 AM
You can get in anytime after midnight if you ring for a pin number for the day you intend to fish. Better check if you need a boat permit (min$15 per week) and if so, they'll give you the permit number in case you get checked out on the dam. They rely on an honesty system that you pay for the permit before you leave the campground. I'm in a club that fishes there a few times per year and they accommodate us this way. Hope you do better than us. It's been tough fishin for a feed but maybe the recent run off in the dam will help a bit.

The_Walrus
13-03-2006, 07:47 PM
Had a PIN number and was told that 5am was the earliest.

Not much use around xmas when you need to be on the water around 4am to catch the sunrise.

Luc