PDA

View Full Version : Redclaw stocking?

wobbygone
04-03-2006, 09:45 AM
Redclaw.

1. Do they occurr naturally in our waterways?

2. Are they introduced to your impoundments be useres?

3. Generally, does there introduction form part of offical stocking programs?

4. What locations( deep,weed beds, run ins ect) and baits best come up with the goods?

Wobbygone

mylestom
06-03-2006, 09:33 AM
Hi,
Going north next week, have fished redclaw in Tinaroo, Some of the best baits then were half boiled potato and also rock melon.
Seems strange but worked well.
Caught most of the claws in deeper water late in the afternoon.

rebelone
07-03-2006, 03:15 PM
Hey wobbygone, read your post and have many simlar questions, shame there have been no replys as yet. Am heading to Awoonga in May and then places further north as far as Cooktown in June and plan to fish and have a go at the claws in a number of dams on the way up and back. Have just watched a DVD I bought from BCF called Dam Hot 2. The blokes in that had a go at the red claw in Peter Faust Dam and got a s**t load. I watched closely and it appeared they had their traps set along the edge of reid beds etc and they said they were using chicken and cat food for bait. Information I received from Atherton tourist Info regarding fishing at Tinaroo said that pellets (chook I presume) mixed with anniseed is the best bait. [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

The_Walrus
07-03-2006, 08:33 PM
Try this link.

It should give you all the info you want.

http://www2.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb/13890.html

Luc

wobbygone
08-03-2006, 01:22 PM
Thanks guys for helping smooth out the bumps with this redclaw thing. I have good vibs from Big W when the level is up. It is the stocking or natural habitation process that has captured my interrest at the moment. I will follow up the links and keep you all posted. If you are travelling , have a safe and ##### time.
Wobbygone.

luckyone
11-03-2006, 04:40 PM
ther use to be heaps in bigw till the water droped now u can work all week and wont get ahand full its got too have something to do with the water levell

wobbygone
11-03-2006, 10:21 PM
Luckyone,
As you say, if the water level is well down then where do you hide if there are zero weed beds left?
In the mud, deeper holes, around fallen timber, who knows.
I was fishig at Kinchant Dam near Mackay late last year. The dam level was good and picked up a 1030 barra at night.
A local was telling me that not that long ago the dam was a puddle, and that during that time the healthy population of redclaw vanished.
Maybe, no where to hide and the fish population doing it tough just cleaned them out.
Wobbygone :)

TinarooTriumph
24-03-2006, 06:35 PM
Sad to hear they are no longer stocking Reclaw in2 Tinaroo Dam and Koombaloomba Dam. They need to be stocked every few yrs to keep numbers up, as they get taken out of our dams in extremely large numbers.

Im looking above and around this site, and im seeing my home dam mentioned alot. If any1 wants, needs or is curious about Tinaroo i am only to happy to provide you with info on the dam, but i wont give too much away, thats up to you. Anything to help you guys have more fun out on the water and on your dinner plate :)