PDA

View Full Version : why don,t skiers pay for the use of our dams

Tropicaltrout
22-03-2006, 01:25 PM
:) Hi guys
At the moment there restiction on the amount of skiers on the water at any one time sooner or later theres going to be a bad accedent :(

With all there money in those boats and equipment why don't they pay for a permit the buggers where everywhere the other weekend at borumba amnd they seem to think they own the joint they spread there gear out over the ramp, take a year and a day to back a boat, and dissobey the speed restrictions put on where the bouys ar lacated at the boat ramp.

I say if they can affords to pay for a day on the water with thier boats they can afford to pay a permit and the money from there permits goes into boat ramps (wider) and proper morings etc

what do you say?

nev-e
22-03-2006, 01:55 PM
you get good guys and bad guys whether they fish/ski or do both as I do. At Burrendong NSW last weekend no -one was obeying the 8 knot zone and that included the fishermen who were putting boats in off the bank.
I have a fishing and a boating licence . To take your argument further I have seen plenty of fishermen who have trouble backing a boat so why shouldn't they pay more as well? By the way I did not know that they were OUR dams thought they were for all to enjoy. Just need a few more people with common sense I guess. ;D

goddy84
22-03-2006, 03:14 PM
well i think it's a great idea ... we pay $30 odd a year to fish OUR dams per person
so wy not make the owner of a ski/jet ski boat pay a sum aswell ..$30 odd is stuff all for a year of useing the ramps and stuff ...

ps OUR DAMS as in all our dams in aus i think was the point

Argle
22-03-2006, 03:33 PM
At Somerset the skiers DO pay for the use of the dam in the form of a boating permit. Just remember that the dams are for all to use not just exclusive for fishing.

Cheers and Beers

Scott

WHITTO
22-03-2006, 04:08 PM
They do at Somerset, Cheers Whitto

timbacutta
22-03-2006, 05:48 PM
In Qld. fishing permit pays for fish restocking. Boat ramp money comes from boat registration funds(not enough though) so everyone pays. But have to agree regarding boat wash around ramps, more common sense and regard for other boaties needed be they fishos or skiers. Only takes one idiot to ruin it for everyone.

Jeff.

Feral
23-03-2006, 04:47 AM
No it takes three idiots
One driving the boat
One observing
One skiing!
;D

TinarooTriumph
24-03-2006, 09:05 PM
Any boat should have to pay to hit our freshwater impoundments. Ski-ing, Fishing, whatever, there should be a fee in ALL dams.

wrip109
25-03-2006, 06:37 AM
You could say similar things about the parents who let their kids play in the water at the bottom of the boat ramps. The kids seem oblivious to the boats comming or going.

Phil

Elysium
25-03-2006, 07:40 AM
How many times have we seen threads on here about people complaining about the fees involved in fishing somerset and the like. Having to pay for the SIP and boating licence..."getting to expencive, yada yada ya"...now we have an arguement (not saying its a bad one) about why skiers dont have to pay a fee to use the impoundments.

Just seems to me this arguement is a double bladed sword.

I do agree with the SIP whole heartedly, its a great idea!

As for boating permits, that is an open can. In the impoundments that boating fees are paid...its all boats that have to pay it. The SIP is only paid for by fisherman (and that is fair enough).

I think it all comes to down to common sence (as said above), maybe places like somerset that do charge boating fees could invest it in a ranger of sorts that goes around looking for stupid people doing stupid things and issuing warnings, if not fines! Hitting these people where it hurts (wallet) may be the only way to get them to learn.

Or heres a dramatic thought....I have never really had a problem (at boatramp) at somerset, because there is a lot of areas in which a skier can make their camp for the day....but go to places like Maroon Dam and the skiers are ALWAYS camped right beside/on the ramp...I am not giving them excuses for it, but when you look at the place, they is nowhere else they can pitch a decent camp for the day. Compare the banks of somerset to that of Maroon...vast difference!

Maybe if areas were made for this sort of thing, we wouldnt have the problems we do at some boatramps.

TinarooTriumph
25-03-2006, 08:37 AM
Good points being posted above. Wrip109 i couldnt agree more, the amount of times my family have had to get up youngsters for playing near ramps is just crazy. Accident waiting to happen.

I dont mind at all paying a fee to fish in our dams, and my parents dont mind paying all the fees etc for our boating, we dont mind it at all - anything to keep our impoundments safe and enjoyable. And i hope this idea is brought to real life soon, its only a small amount to keep our dams alive. Costs can go to providing better ramps, warning floats or whatever they may be called, and also parking their trailer and equiptment. Thats a big problem up my way, plenty of room to move around, yet everyone fights for who puts their trailer closest to the water.

Tropicaltrout
25-03-2006, 03:39 PM
Thankyou all for your intrest, all good points, ;) heres my point if us as fishos pay a charge to inhance our catch,in our choise inpoundment why not the skier pay a charge to inhance theres ie. better boat ramps etc yes we all pay rego and money goes into ramps but if they pay a fee wider better ramps,jetties and moring areas would have to be more affordable?

Cheers Ausfishers