PDA

View Full Version : My Own Dam! Handy Info needed...

TinarooTriumph
24-03-2006, 08:39 PM
G'day everyone! Just looked afew pages back and saw a Subject on Aussie Bass in this guys very own dam. Great to see, if you ever get the chance to buy your own property with your own dam I recommend you do it! Its alot of fun, and you dont need a f***ing licence for anything you may do on it!. I am new to Ausfish.com.au, and i can see things on ere' are very slow, but I tend to think the more interesting things the better. In this 'blog' i am currently writing, i will include 1 picture of my own little dam on a mates station, about 200km west of Cairns, at a little' place they call Mont Albion. I am lucky enough to live relatively close to my mate, and on weekends and holidays me and my mate are either fishing, tubing, or flipping 3.7m flatbottom boats with 250hp's on the back (trust me most fun ive ever had!) on his Dam.

Fishing is a top thing out there, as winter is practically summer for us, and summer is.... well.... like Bahrain i guess you could say!. Winter nights can get a little chilly tho, last year we had 1 night at -10 degrees recorded on 4 themometors at different heights. But all year round it is a top little spot. Black Bream are doing astonishingly well, too well infact! But i am after the much saught after Sleepy Cod. Boy do they taste nice :D . Personally i cant stand them, sure they taste dam good, but come on, a dead nun could pull harder on a hook under water!!!! I know to many of you these bastards are an 'accidental catch' to many of you, but im interested to find out what bait (dead or alive) you guys have caught these critters on!. I tend to always use Shrimp (dead, and alive), live Crayfish, and even squid. Not interested in line etc etc, trust me i got all that worked out.

As a keen 16 year old fisho, the more fish i catch, the better! Ive learnt so much fishing, so so much, but there is always plenty more to learn. Keen at heart! #

Cheers. TinarooTriumph (Theo)

goddy100
25-03-2006, 12:26 PM
Ah, the good old sleep cod. My best bait would have to be a peice of raw steak. They love it. Just leave it alone and if any about they will sidle over and slurp it down. I have also caught them on lures, but rarely, and mostly at night. Best part is that they will breed in the dam naturally. If you want more info, get onto the DPI at Walkermin, they were breeding them there for a while. They will tell you how to maximise breeding.

TinarooTriumph
25-03-2006, 03:44 PM
Yeah i am forever at the DPI at Walkamin, mostly inquiring about other species then sleepy's. Cheers for the info :) Yer they breed alright, gee's can they breed! Unfortunately the cold up here kills them quick, and so fishing for them in summer is always poor, but after Summer the numbers crawl back. Cheers again.

TinarooTriumph 8-)