PDA

View Full Version : Ewan Maddock dam

tiges
22-03-2006, 05:35 PM
Anyone know much about Ewan Maddock dam? I know there's fish in there, Bass and Goldens as well as rumours of other species. You never used to be allowed to take a boat on there, have these rules changed? Anyone got any info?

Gorilla_in_Manila
22-03-2006, 06:24 PM
Fitzy's page:
http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au/EwenMaddock.htm

mitch_05
25-03-2006, 09:55 AM
3 yrs ago when i was there for my schoool camp it was no motors of any form

tiges
25-03-2006, 11:09 AM
You wouldn't think using an electric would be a problem, and no-one would really know anyway. My father in law canoes there a lot, and reckons he's seen guys fishing out of boats a few times. But until I'm sure I don't think I'll take my boat on there, but definitely will take my canoe. So is it worth a fish in there, anyone know any good areas, and what caught and how? (not asking much am I)

Sniper
25-03-2006, 08:46 PM
There is rumour around the coast here at the moment that there is a new stocking association forming and they are negotiating with the Caloundra City Clown School to allow boats with electric motors on there. Until anything has ben confirmed, it would be wise to keep off the dam (unless in canoue or kayak with paddle power only) so that the negotiations aren't compromised. I hear there are some ripper Bass in there. Be good to get a boat on there.
Cheers
Bill

Feral
26-03-2006, 07:59 AM
I heard a rumour that they dont use it for water supply anymore, due to bad publicity over a sewage outlet or leak in the upper part of the dam. That would help fatten up the bait fish for the bass!

darren
26-03-2006, 09:17 AM
Gee ''Sniper does that mean I'm at Clown school'' :D Im on the bridge gang we have 47 new bridges to build sounds like fun gunna be had better get my big shoes on ;D

Feral
26-03-2006, 12:15 PM
I miss my days working bridges, crab pots and fishing lines got packed before the old shovel!

Sniper
26-03-2006, 08:06 PM
Sorry Darren.
Didn't mean it like that. Just meant that the council beauracrats make some decisions like clowns. Thats why I call local councils, clown schools.
Never heard about the sewage spill. I was told by Calaqua, Caloundra's water board, that the dam was a back up in case Barron runs low.
Bill

Tropicaltrout
26-03-2006, 08:58 PM
I have been out there and i have seen guys in a canoe with a electric motor trolling around, so you must be allowed on there but not with petrol.

Cheers TT

Paul_Dolan
26-03-2006, 10:13 PM
Ewen Maddock,ARGH the memories >:( I was on the sterring commitee to get it up and running as a fishery,that all fell in a heap due to the backward view of the Caloundra City Clowncil and CalAQUA ::) then we the Lake Baroon FSA took it over and changed our name to Caloundra City Fish Stocking Assoc and took it on to stock both dams.

I managed as president to arrange meetings with the Mayor Don Aldous who really didn't give a rats ar$e about the fish or our group and the Director of Cal Aqua and he had the same attitude,these are supposed to be educated people but couldn't see the benifits of setting up a fishery as a tourism destination ::).

I managed to get 2 grand out of Cal Aqua for native fish and spent it on Saratoga for the dam ;D. They apparently weren't real happy about that but once they were in there too bad ;D we had a permit from fisheries so it was all legal ;D.
I went to numerous community meetings with all other stake holders about the dam and the weed and fought long and hard to get access for all anglers and there electric motors to fish the dam that all fell on deaf ears ::).So I realised there was no point in persuing the issue and left and moved to Hervey Bay and to this day there has been no change in there attitude towards the dam so I'm told ::).
I recon just go fish it with your electric motor on weekends as there's no ranger there then ;) only week days ;D I used to and so did some of the other guys and we caught and released some fish ;D . Start just before daylight and get off the dam by 9 and no one will ever know ;D.
The toga were stocked in 2000 and would be around the 60cm mark or better by now and should be breeding up nicely.
We also stocked quite a lot of bass in there too,can't remember the figures too long ago.
If your local and wanna go fish it make some noise about it one day they might listen but they wouldn't listen back when I and others tried and we certainly made some noise through the media.I don't think the clowncil liked me but I really didn't give a rats ar$e what they thought ya gotta fight for what ya believe in.
Ya never know if ya don't give it a go.
Could be an awsome fishery that one it just needs a council with a bit of foresight :o a big ask I know but ya could get lucky :o.
Regards Paul Dolan

Feral
27-03-2006, 05:23 AM
Well there you go, just need to wait for a change in the Council, could happen very soon, I think we are due for a council election soon. Get the Fishing Party involved! or do it yourself, I'll come and stand on the picket line at a polling booth!

Paul_Dolan
27-03-2006, 09:31 PM
Feral best of luck to ya's I tried with 2 different Clowncils with the same result ::).
It's easier to just keep quiet and go fish it,some good fish in there.
Paul

darren
28-03-2006, 06:21 PM
There is talk of making it available for a water supply again if needed I will try and find out "shhhhhhh 8-) on the inside" whats going on and wtf they are doing as we all know it is just a wasteof a good fishing spot and the weeds are out of control will see what I can find out.
cheers darren

tiges
29-03-2006, 10:44 AM
Guess what guys? There's bass in there. Took the canoe out this morning and got a nice one, 45cm fork length. Only got one other strike on a surface lure, seemed like a bass strike rather than a toga. Definitly be sussing it out more, especially the surface options as the terrain really suits.

tiges
29-03-2006, 10:45 AM
Whoops meant to add some pics.

tiges
29-03-2006, 10:46 AM
And of course letting her go.

McCod
31-03-2006, 08:07 PM
Just abit more info..... have fished it a few times out of the yak.... and have seen a few Toga's..... there is some football sized Yella's up around the 10 to 12 lb mark and a few year classes of Bass .... 38 to 45 cm
Plenty of eel tail catfish for the bait fishos.... Plenty of catfish caught off the bank also. Lots of water between the bass and Yella's tho.

Cheers Les

paddo
05-04-2006, 08:49 PM
Ewan Maddock Dam has a lot of similarities to the Common Swamp at St. Albans on the MacDonald River in NSW.
This was an ideal shallow water fishery for our [the University of NSW] study of Australian bass and I reckon Ewan Maddock would be equally as good.
I suppose my next step is to approach the Caloundra council to get some sort of permission to put a small canoe or dinghy on there and indulge in some scientific research.
After the trouble Paul Dolan has been through I don't hold much hope. Maybe if I give them a more efficient method of removing the salvinia weed we may get to an agreement.
Paddo.