PDA

View Full Version : Barra rod for Millionaire CV-Z203

last_cast
22-03-2006, 01:10 PM
Hi everyone,

I am setting up a barra outfit with the above reel. It will be spooled with 30lb braid. I would like some opinions on rod choices. I am most interested in the length of rod people use. 5'6" or 5'8" seems to be the traditional length of barra impoundment rods. Does anyone use anything longer? I would imagine that longer rods would have the advantage of taking up some of the shock of the strike and fish acrobatics resulting less hooks pulled. This may not have been too much of a concern with mono, but with the advent of braid it may be more important. The kicker for this is that I would also like my rod to be 2 piece (my parents live near teemburra dam, so I like to take my gear when I fly up to see them). Has anyone used a 2 piece rod for impoundment barra? The only two I have seen in Aus are the 5'8" Shimano Raider and the 6'6" Nitro Innovator Barra rods. The Nitro is the better rod but I am worried about its length. Any opinions on the length and two piece construction of barra rods is gretaly appreciated.

Cheers

turley
22-03-2006, 04:51 PM
I've been in the exact same position as you looking for a rod to match my abu garcia 4600. I went with the Raider barra mauler and I haven't regretted it at all. If you are looking specifically for a 2 peice i don't realy think you can go any better.

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
22-03-2006, 05:14 PM
1 piece, rod tube, is it really an issue for travelling. A 1 piece rod is a much better fishing tool than a 2 piece. You have a nice reel, you want a nice rod. 2 piece might be ideal if you travel all year long, but I bet you fish more than you travel.
Just my thoughts.
5 foot 6 penn pinpoint series, great for barra fishing etc. 10 kg blank. I have 2.
Regards,
Johnny M

scott_b
22-03-2006, 10:17 PM
Gday last cast
Mate if your like me and don't get to fish for dam barra very often, the least things that can go wrong the better. So one piece rod would be less worry. I'd go with a 8 or 10 kg 5'6" and 50 braid and don't worry about the shock of the strike and the acrobatics because barra don't give a sh#t how long your rod is !!! and you won't eather once you hook her.
wamjam

goddy84
23-03-2006, 07:29 AM
i have what is called a '' barra snaper'' i got from brarra jacks in rocky its a 2 pice and i found it great on any fish its all i have used and its a tough rod but yet soft enough to feel the small stuff . i love it and never go any where with out it as its in the ute all the time :D :P

rick_k
23-03-2006, 10:18 PM
I've had a few rods killed by the big red Roo (QANTAS or baggage handlers) which QANTAS very graciously paid to be replaced.

I've also had a rod tube run over on the airport road in Darwin because the driver of the little bus, distracted by a chatty little old lady forgot to lock the trailer door. They paid for new luggage and tube and broken rods too. Luckily Darwin has good fishing shops, and we had enough time before the flight to the fishing spot to make replacements.

If that is the only spot you are going to use that gear, I would leave a rod with your parents, and take the reel as hand luggage (let me tell you about the security guy at Alice Springs airport who wanted me to remove the line load from my reel collection, or check it in.......)

As to 2 piece or one piece, up to a point I agree with Johnny M. But I'm not sure how you smash 60cm off the end of a sewer pipe rod tube, and break rods through the butt, unless you carefully line up a narrow door and floor the accelorator on your little luggage cart. Maybe someone who works there can help?

A short tube should get into less trouble. Either way, PUT A HANDLE ON IT SO IT CAN'T ROLL AROUND

And, good luck 8-)

BobbyJ123
24-03-2006, 06:47 AM
G'day mate, a couple of suggestions for a rod; Daiwa IM-6 10-17lb. At 5ft 10in it is a beauty, and the Strudwick, Sik Stik, 10-17 lb, also 5ft 10in, as in the photo.
Both proven barra rods.

maat
05-04-2006, 09:32 PM
I'd go for the raider barra mauler

last_cast
06-04-2006, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. Seems like a few people are happy with their Barra Maulers and this is probably the way I will go at least initally. For $100 (at Sundown Marine and BCF at the moment) you cannot go too far wrong I think. If I upgrade to one of the very nice 1 piece rods (eg a 6-10kg t-curve and plenty others like the ones mentioned above) in the future then I will have a good back-up rod for travelling and for random fishing partners. Great fish there BobbyJ, have seen your reports on Kincant. Keep up the good work! Will have to give it a try next time I am up that way.

BobbyJ123
06-04-2006, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the kind words, mate. Certainly is nice to get a pat on the back.......but not too hard, hey?? Might disintigrate ;) ;)

Stumpthumpa
06-04-2006, 04:18 PM
Great thread and something I am interested in as well. No-one seems to have voiced a preference for the longer style rods that are getting about now (6'6" and 7'). I personally do not like them - especially when trowing bigger lures. Anyone have any comments on these?

I have been using a Daiwa IM-6 like BobbyJ123, teamed with a Calcutta 400. It is a great rod and easy to use all day, but I am beginning to feel it is just a bit light for the big girls at Prossie.

bigdan123
06-04-2006, 04:22 PM
hi last cast
bobbyj has caught some very nice fish with the rods he uses.
i know i have seen it first hand and on my boat too ::) ::) ::) ::) :'( :'(

i use 6'6" Nitro dominator extreme barra bc663 i find it gives me longer and more accurate cast then any other rod i have used and being a two piece very transportable.
it's also very strong in the butt end when you need it the most.
anyway heres a pic when Paul Dolan and i went to awoonga and field tested the nitro late last year ;)

Dan

BobbyJ123
06-04-2006, 07:51 PM
Great thread and something I am interested in as well.
I have been using a Daiwa IM-6 like BobbyJ123, teamed with a Calcutta 400. It is a great rod and easy to use all day, but I am beginning to feel it is just a bit light for the big girls at Prossie.

Mate, I find that a bit of an odd statement..."a bit light for the big girls at Prossie"

This came out of Prossie one night at 10.30 in the sticks, it weighed 60 lbs and went 119 cm. And caught on the Daiwa IM-6 and 20 lb braid.........

http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/uploads/Picture_248.jpg

bigdan123
06-04-2006, 08:02 PM
its not just the rod is it bob?
you got to have the lucky shirt on ;D ;D ;D ;D

Dan

BobbyJ123
06-04-2006, 08:16 PM
Ya mongrel. That was my secret ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Stumpthumpa
07-04-2006, 08:36 AM
Mate, I find that a bit of an odd statement..."a bit light for the big girls at Prossie"

This came out of Prossie one night at 10.30 in the sticks, it weighed 60 lbs and went 119 cm. And caught on the Daiwa IM-6 and 20 lb braid.........

Bob, you have pipped me by 1cm, also from the sticks at Prossie. #I fish 35lb braid, but only get to Prossie once a year, so may not be as experienced as you. #What was pleasantly noticeable is the increase in fish sizes each year. #Whether is is natural fish growth, or I am finally nutting it out a bit better (probably the first option), is hard to say. #The Daiwa is a great rod, but I really felt last trip I was getting near the limits (maybe just adrenalin kicking in).

BobbyJ123
07-04-2006, 11:20 AM
Mate, I only go once a year, when my son comes down from Darwin at Christmas :)
I prefer to fish Kinchant as it is half the drive time (50 minutes). Ha!! That's a laugh ;D ;D
Only fished Kinchant since Dec....ever as I prefer the salt water.....only 200 metres away ;) ;)

Stumpthumpa
07-04-2006, 12:40 PM
Bob, so we have about the same fishing opportunities................... how do I get one of those lucky shirts then?

BobbyJ123
07-04-2006, 01:02 PM
Bugga!!! Bigdan and his big cakehole ;) ;) ;) >:( >:(

Mate, I got it at....er... :P :P :P