PDA

View Full Version : Brisbane River Bass

bigman6969
19-05-2006, 06:26 PM
Hey,

I was wanting to know how far up the brisbane river i have to go to get some bass. I don't have a boat. Also what lures or bait will i need to get them.

many thanks
brendon

turley
19-05-2006, 06:45 PM
You can go as far up as wivanhoe dam wall looking for bass but anyone who has tried will tell you they are few and far between. Probably the best spot to try would be below mt-crosby weir and try any of your classic bass lures.

Clint06
19-05-2006, 08:43 PM
Through winter the bass will move down the river to salt water but there are always a few that stay in the upper reaches. Up around Fernvale there are a few spots that have produced for me year round, (i havent fished lower than fernvale) just need to walk the banks and look for structure like logs, rocks etc. i dont usually spend too much time in one spot.
Best bait is shrimp, the bigger ones (2-3 inches) are better, just pin them through the tail so they can flick around. I usually fish them about 3 foot under a float. Crickets are also good bait, worms are ok. Its a good idea to look around where you are fishing and if there are grasshoppers or moths or anything like that around these will also be great bait.
I wouldn't bother much with surface lures at this time of year but any of the standard bass lures are good, i usually use smaller ones and slow down the retrieve if the fish are hard to tempt.
Good luck!