PDA

View Full Version : Dams low - retrieving lures?

Feral
22-05-2006, 05:00 AM
I was just wondering with the main dams so low in the South East, if anyone has been keen enough to go for a walk around any of the exposed snags to do a bit of free "lure shopping".

I reckon with all the mad keen lure fishermen out there, the exposed snags must just about be full of em!

ibbo
22-05-2006, 10:42 AM
I saw a bloke wondering the banks of Leslie dam a few years ago and when i asked him later what he was doing he said he was doing exactly this and found 6 lures in an hour.

IBBO

PAYNE
22-05-2006, 01:24 PM
happens a lot in places like the Daly River after the Barra Nationals and Barra Classic when the water levels drop after the wet....

;)

TinarooTriumph
22-05-2006, 05:02 PM
Why not i tell ya! Did the exact same thing when Tinaroo was down to 11 odd % a few years back, picked up a few Gold Bombers around the Tinaburra region thank you very much!

With the prices of lures these days, why not! You may have to do some work on them to get them back to scratch, but its well worth it.

TinarooTriumph 8-)

BobbyJ123
23-05-2006, 06:51 AM
Picked up 17 lures one day at Copeton dam, mainly in excellent codition, a few trebles needed changing. Next day, went along the other way and picked up 8, all "downunders" :)
Just followed along the debris after the water level dropped.

Steve_Monckton
25-05-2006, 11:05 AM
Copeton Dam in the 1990's. We fished the northern shore as the wind blows into it on most occasions and attracts the fish into the wash. Got out to drain the dragon and almost stepped on a lure. A mudeye, thanks jamie!! My mate Bob and myself got out of the boat to stretch our legs and walked about 1km around the bank. It was abit like christmas time especially in the flotsam up the gullies. Got a mixed bag of around 40 lures, A lot of boomerangs,mudeyes and storm lures, went out the next weekend and scored another 26 in a different spot, just slap some new rings and trebles on and off you go. We were up barefoot gully 12 months after that and I spotted a little red halco combat lure floating out from some rocks with line attached, pulled up the line and gained myself a nice little Im6 graphite rod with a Diawa millionaire Baitcaster reel in good working order. It must have been some hit!! next time hang onto your rod,and no you can't have it back. Cheers ,steve.

rivermanau
25-05-2006, 01:46 PM
The best lure my mate used at Peter Faust dam last year was a Killalure Barra Bait he picked up on the shore. It had almost no paint left, it was a pearly white plastic underneath,
the barra loved it, scored 3 over a metre with it. My latest theory with barra lures is they like a subdued colour scheme, not too flashy
Robert

scott_b
25-05-2006, 08:20 PM
Hey rabbi
when can I pick up me daiwa combo??? , just joking mate. Jeez ya hear of a lot of gear going overboard at Copeton , bloody brother inlaw lost a brand new abu and rod for me once !!! , got it back when the dam dropped about 12 months later , worst thing was I found another rod and reel in the same spot ,was his but didn't know he had lost it.
Bit sad wamjam

Steve_Monckton
26-05-2006, 09:34 AM
G'day Wamjam, Yeh, it's a good hunting ground out there. Another good spot to look is on top of granite rocks when the water level drops. you can find all the spare parts for outboard gearboxes that you would need. Hoping to get back over there when the weather warms up.cheers,steve. ;D ;D

mulisha
06-06-2006, 09:22 PM
i was up at moogerah on sat when the westlys were blowing and i found 23 of them ;D ;D

TinarooTriumph
06-06-2006, 09:40 PM
23 :o . Either you have good eyes mate, or people just cant fish at that place ;D .

Theo 8-)

mulisha
07-06-2006, 08:45 PM
lol theo i live about 10min away so im quiet often up there fishing and i just get out of the boat and go 4 a stroll ;D ;D

mulisha
07-06-2006, 08:47 PM
free lures ;) ;) ;)

Fitzy
08-06-2006, 08:00 AM
At the recent Barra Nationals the river was up 12 meters at the start of the comp. It dropped by half that during the week. By weeks end I recovered a couple of lures I'd lost earlier & picked up a few more on prominant snags with the tackle back while retrieving our own.

Ended up about 10 lures better than we started with,,,, go figure.

Cheers,

Fitzy..

ronnieandbill
08-06-2006, 07:25 PM
Lived at Dartmouth dam for awhile and often used to go on lure hunts when the dam and river were low. Picked up some great stuff. If youu have the time its a good idea. Take the kids-- use them to do the hard yards and find them, then all you have to do is untangle them and put em in your pocket.
Cheers
ronnie