PDA

View Full Version : Awoonga lures so far

-Henno-
22-05-2006, 09:06 PM
Hey guys,

Attached is the collection of Awoonga lures I have purchased so far. #They are all the Predatek Sandvipers. #I have all the colours I want so far except for the Metallix Chrome model.

I am now after the same colours in the Viper models. #Here's a quick question though. #I phoned the kiosk at the lake and asked which model of both the Vipers and Sandvipers were more popular, the three hook model or the two hook model. #According to the lady she said everybody uses the two hook model up there. #I found out there were two different models when perusing a catalogue at a tackle shop. #When I got home today though and went to the predatek website it looks like the two hook model has two massive VMC trebles but also a luminous bib, the redhead having a red bib.

Any thoughts on the two hook versus the three hook and the luminous bibs?

Thanks in advance to any of the Awoonga gurus for any help.

Mark

TinarooTriumph
22-05-2006, 09:23 PM
G'day Mark.

The Viper Model with the 2 Treb's is the V150X Viper Xtra (Heavy Duty). I cant understand why alot of fisho's would choose the large 2 rather then the medium 3 size hooks :-? . With nearly every lure, the middle treble hardly does jack all, with most of the fish hanging onto to the end hooks. The middle one is barely there just to add that extra hold. The tripple hook Vipers have always worked well, cant say ive used a double hooker yet ;D .

I cant say that the luminous bibs do alot for me, but if i really wanted id stick to a plain lumo bib rather then a reddy, largely because the red bibers wouldnt work nearly aswell because of the red being a shade more difficult to see underwater. At the end of the day i cant see much diff in using one or the other...

TinarooTriumph 8-)

barradise
22-05-2006, 09:30 PM
Hi Mark,
The Sandviper and Viper in twin or treble hook pattern are both very good lures for troll or casting.
The two hook version swims with slightly more action but it's a debatable subject as to which pattern works best on any given day or personal fishing technique.
I've captured plenty of barra on both hook patterns and don't have any preference when it comes to these lures other than to say that the twin hook is slightly more responsive for casting.
The floro bib has little if any effect after dark from what I've seen, it's more in the sonic rattles.
Don't pack only Vipers when visiting Lake Awoonga, also take Classic's, Scorpions, Laser Pro, B52, Bomber Long A and Chaos in similar colour to what you posted. Also pack some barra blue and lime green over yellow to your kit.
John

WHITTO
23-05-2006, 08:03 AM
All you have to do now is change the Split rings and Trebbles to OWNER and u will be half a chance, have a ball Cheers #Whitto

Zahly
23-05-2006, 07:25 PM
you wouldnt believe it, but the only successful trip for me, was when we caught 3 out of our 4 barra on a unknown lure found in a tree on the southern side of the dam :-? i was going to throw it away (it looked that bad) until my mate said he would give it a go ;) just shows if the lure gets in front of their face when they are hungry, it will get belted. the other lure was a lively lure mad mullet. also lost a fish on a crazy deep scorpion 150.

hardb8
23-05-2006, 07:55 PM
Hi Mark,
# # # # # #I'm hardly a guru but I've caught a few.Don't go there without a couple of Rob Gadens' Classic Barra Pros.The Pros are a bit harder to locate but have a wider body than the standard Classics.The pros will displace more water and make the lure feel bigger to the fish through her lateral line than it really is.At this time of year I'd also recommend the Halco Scorpions,Crazy deep 125s or 150s,The later is available at the kiosk for pretty good prices in a range of colours.As mentioned upgrade ya hooks and rings,Hooks to VMCs 6X strong or Owners ST66 (I think)With ya rings go 6H or Halco 4XX,Halco also make some bomb #proof snaps,The smaller size 3 are rated to about 50 to 60 lb not to sure exactly from memory,But they are tiny reducing visible terminals to the fish,And freakishly strong for their size,If ya in doubt they make bigger models but trust me the 3s will hold,I bent 6X hooks and the snaps remained perfect.Good luck and don't forget ya brown undies. :o

hardb8
23-05-2006, 08:00 PM
# # # # #

elephrez1
23-05-2006, 08:40 PM
nice barra

-Henno-
23-05-2006, 08:50 PM
Hey Zahly,

I have always been a fan of the lively lures in the little sizes for flatties! I might grab a couple of the large sizes for barra.

What colour was the crazy deep scorpion you lost a fish on?

-Henno-
23-05-2006, 09:51 PM
Thanks for that hardb8.

Although I have heard that snaps are a no no I have also heard that there are some bullet proof ones that I might give a try. I'll jot those numbers down.

I am not actually going at this time of year, it's not until October. I know, its a long way out but the planning is keeping my mundane job bareable. Do you only troll the crazy deep halcos? If so will I need to buy the same colours in the shallower models for casting into the snags?

I have the MO tackle catalogue in front of me and they have the classic barra pros by Mr Gaden. Any particular colour in those that ya like?

Oh yeah. Barradise posted a heap of suggestions that I am going to get as well but I have never heard of one of them. What is a Chaos?

Mark

Mak579
24-05-2006, 07:08 AM
Don't forget the SP's guys,

I like ones with a big T tail that has a lot of movement like the squidgy slick rigs. Easy to use, strong hooks and the barra just love 'em!!

Matt

-Henno-
24-05-2006, 03:50 PM
That's a wicked shot there Matt. As I was first scrolling down onto it I thought it was some kind of gynaecological nightmare though!

I am also looking to take up some plastics and am a fan of that drop bear colour for the big flatties. I have never used the slick rigs though as I like to swap the colours and brands over regularly. Is the advantage to them that they are balanced better with the weight in the guts of them?

Zahly
24-05-2006, 06:19 PM
themooks the crazy deep was in the color- R26 Golden Green.

i really like the mad mullets, as they also cast like a bullet, so they are a versatile lure, that can be used trolling and casting.

hardb8
24-05-2006, 07:30 PM
Hi Mark,
# # # # # #Don't know of a lure by the name of Chaos,But because you or I haven't heard of them doesn't mean there no good.Could be worth a cast.I've also been told about snaps,Tie ya lure on if in doubt,Confidence is everything!But if ya changing lures regularly snaps are great,There fast,Efficient and are improving in strenght all the time.If ya regularly changin lures and tying them on it dosen't take long before ya need to tie on a new leader as the accociated loop knots can use up a bit of line.I used the Crazy deeps for trolling only.Effective Crazy deep colour patterns for me were :- King Brown it's got a dark gold back with a bright gold side and belly with a few black spots on the side.And I think it's called Bleeding Mullet :- Black back with red vertical bars,Chrome sides and a bit of yellow on the belly.The Classic Pros were :- Gold mullet dazzler and Elton John,These were both great at day and night,Casting and trolling.The first colour for me in chosing any lure for any species is a natural type for obvious reasons(Chrome/Silver)Barra are well renound for their love of gold and this influenced my next choice.Alot of regulars and locals were doing well on these two patterns with two other stand outs being,Qantas (Red head white body) and a pattern with a purple back and red vertical bars,Chrome sides and a yellow belly with a splash of pink on the side of the head.This is available from both Halco and Mr Gadens stables,I took about four boxes to Awoonga about 40 lures.Ended up taking 10 aboard for use after I learnt what was effective and worked for me.Congrats on your early prep,This tells me you are organised and this only leads to success.The Pros were the 12+ footers.My father in law used to work there and swore by anything with pink on it.The lures you have pictured are an excellent choice for October as I've seen them work very well at that time of year,Predeteks would have to be one of the most popular lures at the dam.Mate if ya go in October take at least one Bills Bug! ;)
# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # Hope I've been able to help.

-Henno-
24-05-2006, 07:34 PM
Ok guys, this is all good stuff.

Here's one more question from the novice. What depth in the scorpions for casting? The 125s come in shallow, standard, deep and crazy deep. I'd hazard a guess as either shallow or standard but which one?

What about the laser pros as well. The bibs on them look weird to me though. Too much to choose from! AAAAARGH!

-Henno-
24-05-2006, 10:45 PM
Again many thanks hardb8

The Bills bug appears to come in the Fuzz Bug (long skinny 75mm,100mm) and the Mice Bug (shorter fatter 40,50,75mm)

What's ya poison there? I'd hazard a guess at the Fuzz Bug in the 100mm. maybe in the darkest colour if your using them for fizzing at night time? Or can you use fizzers in the daytime up there? That'd be something different to my dawn and dusk bass fizzing experience.

Feral
25-05-2006, 04:29 AM
HI phoned the kiosk at the lake and asked which model of both the Vipers and Sandvipers were more popular, the three hook model or the two hook model. According to the lady she said everybody uses the two hook model up there.

Mark

Probably coz she only sells the 2 hook models....

Mak579
25-05-2006, 09:37 AM
That's a wicked shot there Matt. #As I was first scrolling down onto it I thought it was some kind of gynaecological nightmare though!

I am also looking to take up some plastics and am a fan of that drop bear colour for the big flatties. #I have never used the slick rigs though as I like to swap the colours and brands over regularly. #Is the advantage to them that they are balanced better with the weight in the guts of them?

Mooks,
there's quite a few things I like about the slick rigs...

Strong hooks - a must for barra
Hard Wearing - because the SP is a designed fit for the jighead. Also one of the few SP's where you can catch multiple fish on the same lure. I've found other SP's often tear or deform around the jighead\hook on a strike and once that happens they need to be replaced because they don't swim right. (just talking barra of course, obviously anything with teeth is going to damage them as much any other SP)
Cheap - being hard wearing and reuseable I find I'm not using as many. I still haven't opened the spare packet of tails I purchased (reuseable because your not damaging them threading on a jighead )
Easy - I don't have to worry about lining up the jighead with the body or matching jighead weights so it swims properly. I just tie it on and start fishing, it's pretty much the SP for dummies....

Even though they come with a standard weight, I sometimes change things around a bit using 80mm Slick Rig weights in 110mm Slick rig bodies or even resin head jigheads.

Oh yeah and lastly, they catch fish.
I'm a bit of a bower bird when it comes to SP's and have literally hundreds of them (2 tackle bags full actually), but I keep going back to the squidgies. As mentioned earlier, I'm a big fan of any SP with a big paddle tail and the squidgies just seem to have "it" when it comes to barra.....

mylestom
25-05-2006, 03:46 PM
Classics in the 12+ and 15+ as one of your trolling lures seems to attract them in a lure Smaller lure flashy multi colour in close to boat seems to then get the majority of big strikes. Landed four over a metre a couple of weeks ago. Vipers in gold and silver in the 150 or crazy deep in 3.5 for third lure. Saw metre plus fish caught on them all.
The secret is the smaller lure in the middle with 4x owner. Type of lure u will have to work out for yourself as have given u all the others. Gold and Silver seems preferred but bright lime green and multi colours (Elton John) all have accounted for the big ones.
The little lure got four out of the five metre plus and lost about six big ones on this setup. Yes 50 fins braid brand new with 80lb penn 10x leaders. Upgrade split rings and hooks to the Owner 4x or VMC 6X
Good Luck Trev

-Henno-
25-05-2006, 08:41 PM
Does anybody know much about the JW Nitro Express I have heard about? I can't find any reference to it when I google it. Who is the company that distributes them etc?

hardb8
26-05-2006, 07:25 PM
Hi Mark,
# # # # # #Don't ever be worried about asking questions as knowledge is power.And I hope thats what Ausfish is about,Fishos sharing knowledge.The model of the Bug I think is the mouse,Slimmer at the front and fatter at the rear,Prop front and back,75mm,Black with silver glitter (Night time) ;) A mate done well on a Reidys Propa Popa,Same style lure in green and yellow at night.Some of the Bills Bugs are huge,About 200+mm long in the bigger models,And after sticking my hand,A bit of my forearm,A small torch and a Leatherman in the gob of a 109 to get a deep lure out I'm not surprised their makin em this big.As some monsters to 130 have been reported,Hence the brown undies,A fish that size on a top water at night and I'd be proud if I only $hit meself.Probably have a heart attack.I only comment on lures I've used or seen perform next to me.But the pereviously mentioned in law also spoke of the Nitro Express as did local ranger Mr Gary Wode.He's lost count of his meter+ fish and is in my eyes an authority on the matter.Very nice and very hummble man indeed.Sorry mate dunno where ya can get em,But I'm sure somebody reading will know.

Mak 579,That is a top shot!Great fish,Happy angler,The grin says it all 8-) # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #Congrats on the photo and the fish.hardb8

andrew73
27-05-2006, 02:53 AM
Hi all

And dont forget B52s and there big bros Big B52s, kingdoms etc etc. if you are up in october casting will possibly be a little more productive that trolling but will really depend on the sort of winter we have, namly long or short but by the temps at the moment it could actually be a winter this year.

Andrew

timbacutta
27-05-2006, 10:03 AM
If fishing night time, get a sandviper in the black colur with silver scale pattern, works for me.

Jeff.

jim_farrell
27-05-2006, 11:23 AM
We find it isn't so much as the lure, but putting it where the fish are. If you have some time use your sounder to sound out likely areas. We have no preference to lure and catch them equally on storms, crazy deeps, bombers and sps.
Good luck. Jim

-Henno-
27-05-2006, 01:06 PM
It's funny how many times I hear that about the colour of the lure not really mattering that much. I think to a certain extent it is true, indeed if the fish are really hungry. I have watched that bloody Malcolm Douglas catch fish on bits of rags and the lid of a milo tin! Of course that was up in the top end where if you lower your big toe in the water it comes out with a barra attached to the end of it.

I have also myself put in millions of casts in one summer on one particular creek here on the Gold Coast with my fishing buddy for jacks and we found if it wasn't pink it didn't get a look in. We chucked our entire tackle box at the creek and fished with confidence using exactly the same methods and placement and it just had to be pink.

I am not going up there with any false notions in my head of knowing it all or even expecting a fish. I will be using all the tools I have at my disposal. The next thing I will be researching is depths and drop offs. That screen shot is great! 55 feet of water hey? When they say look for drop offs is that slight angle I can on the bottom there from just over 48 feet down to 55 considered a drop off as such?

Thanks again

-Henno-
27-05-2006, 01:08 PM
or is that the 40 foot line I am misreading as 48

agnes_jack
27-05-2006, 03:22 PM
Sounds like you will have it all down pat by october Mooks!!
We should have some fun, I look forward to it.

Regards, Tony

manangatang
28-05-2006, 09:22 AM
mak579,what an unreal photo ,cheers mick.

-Henno-
28-05-2006, 08:00 PM
Now you've bloody jinxed me Tony! Well at least that will be my excuse if I don't turn a reel anyway.

-Henno-
28-05-2006, 08:20 PM
Hey John (barradise)

How about these buggers? I thought when you told me they were called Intruder Intruder that you had accidentally typed it twice but no! According to the packaging they are exactly that! Hanging on the same hook as the nitros.

The Halcos/RMGs I've ordered should arrive this week sometime.

jim_farrell
30-05-2006, 08:24 AM
Sounder photo was the edge of the main river bed out from the dam wall . Just west of the creek valley that heads south after the same. Just on dark. Half an hour prior, there was only bait here at about 20 - 30 feet, no fish.
Jim

-Henno-
30-05-2006, 09:31 AM
Thanks Jim,

Attached are the latest lures deleted from my post above.

-Henno-
14-06-2006, 08:15 PM
Latest Mars lures but which length? I'll chuck both I spose. Very B52ish.

When I asked Brad down at the boatshed the other day if he was getting any more of these in he replied "I dunno, I haven't seen the man from mars for a while." He realised what he had said instantly and we both roared laughing at it for a while. Had to be there I spose.