PDA

View Full Version : Off to cairns

Jeremy87
08-06-2006, 10:15 PM
Hi guys i'm heading up to cairns for a long weekend in the beginning of july. We're going to take the travel rods with us and hopefully chase some sooties etc with some lures. Can anyone give me a few pointers or land based alternatives for light spin gear.
Thanks
Jeremy

TinarooTriumph
09-06-2006, 04:14 PM
Jeremy mate, head to AusFish Freshwater Reports and check out the thread on FNQ Fishing posted by young Dyl. Hope thats some help...

Theo 8-)

baldyhead
10-06-2006, 04:11 PM
Try any of the freshwater creeks crossing the Highway between Cardwell and Cape Tribulation for Sootys Jacks etc. Around Cairns itself try the fresh water reaches of the Barron upstream of Kamerunga loco bridge...good for the odd barra too. Go down Old Freshwater Rd and fish Freshwater creek both up and down stream of the bridge...barra there too. Just south of Gordonvale drive under the mulgrave river bridge and drive upstream and follow the track and you will find some good fishing spots . Head up towards the gillies range(turn @ the servo on Gordonvale turnoff)follow the road for a few Klms and turn into Ross & Locke water hole and fish upstream of the loco bridge.
In all of these places be aware of saltwater crocodiles. Just be aware that there could be one in the vacinity. I have actually seen a 10 footer upstream of the loco bridge @ R&Locke some 3 years ago....He's not there anymore...got lead poisioning he did. cheers baldy

Jeremy87
13-06-2006, 07:47 AM
cheers baldyhead i'll give some of those spots a go

Fishin_Dan
13-06-2006, 10:02 AM
Baldyhead is on the money. I fished up the Mulgrave River a while back and caught Sooties & Jungle Perch. They weren't real big, but there was a few there. I've heard recent reports that some big ones are lurking in freshwater creeks up there at the moment though... But the buggers wouldn't tell me where! ::)

Jeremy87
13-06-2006, 03:16 PM
are there any preferences on lures. i've got a few skitterpops and an assortment of diving lures. Does anyone use softies for them

TinarooTriumph
13-06-2006, 04:36 PM
Baldyhead - Mate is Ross and Locke a productive spot or not? Everytime i drive past there on my way to Cairns i curse at myself as i forget to pack a combo in the back ;D . So is it any good?

Jeremy dont worry too much about using SP's for the moment with rivers up here, i find it takes a long while to use them properly up here. Just stick to the hard body minnows and divers. Surface lures will get smashed at early morning and at late evening by sooties, i know that much ;D . But yer, what ever you got, bring it up and have a go!

Cheers.

TinarooTriumph 8-)

baldyhead
28-06-2006, 09:47 AM
Hi TT I have just got back from a bush trip. Its ALWAYS worth a toss in the R&L area. Downstream in the rapids and deep holes and upstream of the loco bridge. On the road side edge (deepest) of the pool just d'stream of the loco bridge when the red bush berries are PLOPPING in the water is a very good time. If you use a berry and plop it into the drink a la natural it will get devoured in a rush. Also if you plop a lure etc duplicating the PLOP noise you will do well. Upstream of the loco bridge there is a sml ck that flows in from the road side, with heaps of blady grass that the fish like to hide in. There are some good looking logs and trees with abundant cover on the southern side of the creek in this area also.
REMEMBER....the FISH ARE WHERE YOU FIND THEM.
cheers baldy

TinarooTriumph
28-06-2006, 02:11 PM
Cheers Baldy! Great info...

Might be camping/fishing there this weekend if theres nothing on... you can camp there overnight can't ya?

Theo 8-)