PDA

View Full Version : Hinchinbrook Island

danos
15-05-2006, 01:18 PM
I'm going up to Hinchinbrook to walk a 4 day trail in mid June and just wondering what I should be chasing and where. #

It will be all land based with light bass tackle and I'm hoping to get access to some small creeks either fresh or salt.

I have heard about jungle perch and sooties in the area...

Cheers

Danos

TinarooTriumph
21-05-2006, 08:13 PM
G'day mate.

Sorry about the late reply, havnt been in the Freshwater chat for some time...

Good old Hinchinbrook, one of my favourite spots up here in FNQ, its a magical place. Some BIG Sooties and JP's come out of there mate i can tell you that.

With Hinchinbrook id target the sandy creeks for the Sooties and JP's, it would be perfect for you as your going on a trail, so you will come across some nice streams. I wouldnt worry too much about the salt around Hinchinbrook, thats when you really need a boat and some medium strength tackle.

But from the Info you've given me mate you should pluck some nice fish out of the rivers on some light bass tackle. Take a large variety of lures with you in all sorts of colours, and if you wonder amongst some nice waters, which i must admit are all around the place so they arnt hard to find, then you should do well.

Give us the 'low=down' when you get back mate, dont forget to take the camera aswell ;D

Cheers.

TinarooTriumph 8-)

danos
23-05-2006, 11:23 AM
Thanks Champ!

Sounds like we will have a great time. I'll let you know how we go...with photos to boot.

Dane

Jim_Tait
23-05-2006, 11:32 AM
As far as I'm aware there are no sooties on Hinchinbrook, and as much as I like chasing JPs I think you'll find that all the freshwater on the Island lies within the National Park and is no go in terms of fishing - check it out first as a cranky ranger could be a costly encounter - as opposed to Tinaroo's advice I'd suggest a bit of shore based fishing off the rocks or beach or in estuary margins (look out for mud geckos) for the likes of jacks, trevalley, barra, salmon, queenies etc

Regards - Jim

TinarooTriumph
23-05-2006, 04:49 PM
Phhht. National Park ;D . If you want to play by the rules then dont fish the fresh by all means ;D and yes Jim there are quite a number of Sooties in the streams at that place, havnt caught any but ive heard many a stories about them. Next time im at Hinchinbrook, im going fresh, national park or no national park, im going fresh! With the rangers permission of course...

Shore based options could be considered, but id opt for a bit more strength rather then light bass tackle. Shore based fish are in mass numbers off the rocks, but if your taking bass tackle, id be weary - sure it would be fun, but you want to catch fish not feed them ;D . And with the strength of those fish, your going to be left rodless. Also remeber your going hiking - you dont want to be lugging 2 peice estuary rods along with bulky reels.

TinarooTriumph 8-)

BrandonH
23-05-2006, 10:54 PM
bump

Jim_Tait
24-05-2006, 06:03 AM
I'm prepared to place my scientific credibility on the line and state that there are no sooties on Hinchinbrook.

Regards - Jim

danos
24-05-2006, 10:39 AM
I think we'll stick to the brackish streams just to be safe and get the best of both worlds, sooties or not.

TinarooTriumph
25-05-2006, 07:30 PM
I'm prepared to place my scientific credibility on the line and state that there are no sooties on Hinchinbrook.

Regards - Jim

As i said, i havnt caught any there, but i cant see my mates from down South lieing to me about it... but if your scientific credibility is right, then i'll have to go along with you, wont I?.

What gear will you be using in the brackish streams mate?

Now i can state MY scientific credibility on their being some MONSTER Jacks around Hinchie, that i most definetely know of.

TinarooTriumph 8-)

danos
29-05-2006, 09:39 AM
Currently i'm using a 3-6kr HG Graphite Silstar rod with a small shimano eggbeater and 10lb fireline. #I usually use a 20lb mono leader cause the fireline doesnt like rocks. You think this would be alright? I mainly use it for fishing the banks of small streams chasing bass but have landed a few barra up NT as well.

gwydir
01-06-2006, 03:48 PM
Danos,

I will be doing much the same thing as you are. almost. will be walking the trail from the 17th and then have a week or so fishing out of Lucinda after that.

Might catch you round the place.

Gwydir

danos
02-06-2006, 11:11 AM
By the sounds of that youll be 3 days ahead of us. Unless you take a week to do the trek we prob wont run into each other. Anyway I guess we'll cover the same ground and hopefully be just as successful with the fishing.

Just watch out for the rangers!

Dane

daveo
07-06-2006, 11:26 PM
im going with danos, gywdir u walking north to south? if u have any luck leave a message for us in the log books!

danos
28-06-2006, 06:20 PM
Hey fellas,

The trip was absolutely amazing. #Some of the best parts of Austraila by far and highly recommended. #We got stuck into the fish but no biggies. #Overall between us we managed a few trevally, cod, archer fish, bream, mangrove jack and plenty of JP's. #Unfortunately the camera was only on hand to capture a few fish.

Have a look.

danos
28-06-2006, 06:23 PM
Jack

danos
28-06-2006, 06:24 PM
JP

danos
28-06-2006, 06:26 PM
JP again

danos
28-06-2006, 06:28 PM