PDA

View Full Version : Anyone hit somerset lately.

Bassjunky
18-06-2006, 06:57 PM
I was thinking about heading to somerset next weekend and was wondering if anyone has been there recently? If so, how did you go?

Were the bass up high or hanging around down low? I was going to target them around bay 13 or the hump! Has anyone hadany luck in these areas?
Cheers.

RayB
19-06-2006, 01:35 PM
Top question Bassjunky

I am also looking to head up there in next few weeks. Let us know how you go on the weekend

cheers
Ray

The_Walrus
19-06-2006, 03:00 PM
I fished for 8 hours on the Friday of the long weekend for one hit none landed. #Launched at Kirkleigh and went staight to the spit

Came across some great bait balls around the spit towards the no-go zone near the dam wall.

Some bait balls were so dense the middle looked solid. #Tried soft plastics, spinnerbaits, trolling, jigging for not a touch. #

Tried a number of places heading back to the Kirkleigh for no action.

Got off the water and on the way home (Brivegas) just before the wet stuff came down.

Luc

wrip109
19-06-2006, 04:13 PM
The hump has still got the For Sale on it but I don't know if it has sold yet. Try the flats opposite the hump.

If you go to Bay 13 try the deep water at the mouth.

Be careful the water is very shallow and there are many many logs for you to run into. Yes, the skiers are still on the dam risking life and limb in the shallows

Phil

Bassjunky
19-06-2006, 07:14 PM
Cheers,
I'll let you guys know how i go. In the meantime I will try and figure out how to post photos. I'm not to good on the ol' computer!

RayB
27-06-2006, 09:26 AM
BassJunky,

How did you go at Somerset? Did you have any troubles launching you boat and getting around the dam with the low water levels.

cheers
Raymond

Bassjunky
29-06-2006, 07:38 PM
We went up a couple of weeks ago. The weather wasn't the greatest as the wind picked up reasonably early and made it quite difficult with the lighter gear. We ( the missus and I) managed to pick up around 20 bass ( all realeased ) 12 of which being over legal, 3 being over 40cm, so all in all it wasn't a bad session.
We found alot of them were schooling up in the shallows. Especially around kirkleagh! Black and red spinners were the go.
The spit wasn't really active.

Launching your boat wasn't so bad as long as you took care and had half a brain you can't go wrong and the same goes for driving around in your boat. A few hidden and exposed stumps. I still to this day don't understand why people are still skiing there!

Has anyone else had any luch fishing there lately?
Cheers.

Also - We went out deep sea fishing on sunday. Chech these out!

Bassjunky
29-06-2006, 07:40 PM
And this kingy

RayB
30-06-2006, 08:12 AM
Thanks for the update Bassjunky

cheers
Ray