PDA

View Full Version : livebaiting

barrafever
14-08-2006, 03:01 PM
Hey guys, long time reader but first time poster. #Just after a bit of advise bout lake monduran. been up there quite a few times and have had reasonable success with lure fishing but was just curious if anyone has had any luck livebaiting for barra? notice there is alot of boney bream round the place id imagine they would be a major source of food for the barra. if anyone has had any luck using live bait up there just curious as to what bait was used, and how u caught it. have seen blokes up there with castnets, not sure bout the regulations but i would have thought castnets werent allowed. any info on that would also be appreciated. thanks guys

mylestom
14-08-2006, 03:29 PM
Have seen blokes livebaiting up there without much success.
More likely for the bass than the barra.
Castnets arent allowed in impoundments are they???

Monudran is a great system and most lures including hardbody and soft plastics work fine.
Why go to all that trouble of catching bait.
Can cover a lot more territory with the lures.

Be there in early october and can't wait. Last trip in March was fantastic.
Trev

barrafever
14-08-2006, 03:35 PM
i was under the impression that castnets would be illegal aswell but have seen plenty of blokes using them around the boat ramp area. i only use lures up at the dam but am headin up there late september with a mob of family and not all can come out in the boat at once so thought live baiting might be a go for those stuck on the bank. suppose theres plenty of catties to keep em happy ;D

Matthias
14-08-2006, 04:33 PM
Cast nets are illegal in freshwater impoundments but you can catch most of your live bait on bread or garden worms.

Pete.

still_water
14-08-2006, 06:54 PM
As mentioned Castnets are not allowed in impoundments, If you are partial to Live Baits the Bony's and whatever else in that size range does work well. I personally have not used Bait but some Clients that have travelled with me have with good success.

Good Luck
Brett

rick_k
16-08-2006, 12:41 AM
based only on experience with saltwater herrings, I would have thought that bony bream are a fragile bait?

Would be an interesting exercise. Strong but fine hooks with 3 trailing reversed off the first hook and only the first hook in the bait, per spanish mack, or one hook in the shoulder and a treble stinger.....

still_water
18-08-2006, 08:09 AM
Guys a 6/0 Owner Kl model through the top lip will do the trick, very minimal sinker just to keep it under the water .

The Boys I have spoken to have used this technique and one couple caught 4 Barra from 3 Baits lol ;D in 30 minutes just near the concrete ramp.
Apparntly the third Bait was only stunned a bit and was sent back out for another swim.
I have a feeling they may of also been using Barred Grunter for Bait.
I have tried to burly up some live bait once, but gave up due to Monduran Trout eating everything we put down and we went back to our casting lures.
Good Luck if you give it a go from an avid lure caster. ;)
Brett

barrafever
18-08-2006, 10:49 AM
sounds like it might be a go. thanks for the info brett. have not really tried the livebaiting before up at monduran but figured as there is plenty of bonys around they would be a main source of feed for the barra so surely thered be some success in it. ill be using lures mostly myself but hopefully the family will hook up with the livies. thanks again guys. will let yous know how i go after the trip