PDA

View Full Version : help me with yellowbelly

grenadier
28-08-2006, 04:39 PM
i am heading west to fish such rivers as the barcoo and coopers creek can anyone give me some pointers on how i would best catch a yellowbelly (besides someone throwing one at me hehehe) i will be fishing from the banks not taking a boat just going to camp beside rivers if possible so i would love some tips on fishing at night out there as well i have been told just set lines at night with worms and check them every now and again

Owen
28-08-2006, 05:35 PM
We used to stick a little fish trap in and catch a few prawns.
Then just jig them up and down.
Never caught heaps (usually a feed), but it wiled away the time between hunting forays :)

cheers,
Owen

Brenno
29-08-2006, 07:39 PM
try using some freshwater crayfish for bait, best fished whole, use a long shanked hook. put the hook in from the tail and bring it out where the tail joins the body.

cast in up stream from a snag or under a tree during the day, and you can try fising on the sand bars on the inside of bend in the river at night.

sav
29-08-2006, 09:52 PM
Seahawk, give the live bait a go - shrimps etc even crickets, grubs.
If the Barcoo hasn't run for a while which is probably the case at this time of year try a few spinners eg celtics. Red/Black combinations are the best. Do a cast to the opposite bank and do a medium retrieve. If they are on - you will get more this way then on bait.
Watch the bag limits.
Regards
Sav

wazza5262
31-08-2006, 08:27 PM
hope u catch a few good old worms cheers ::)