PDA

View Full Version : technique for creating suspending hard bodies

Papa_Smurf
01-09-2006, 07:49 PM
I have been using suspending lures for barra since 1999. Although the old whitelady bellbrook swayback i used in the 60's would also have qualified. As others have written, the advantage is that you can let the big girls trundle up below and eye ball the lure. They often grab it either when its dead still or just as it moves.

The problem is there are few good ones about. B52s with 6X trebles and heavy split rings and a split ring at the eye are effective and storm saltwater thundersticks are great if upgraded. But a number of others are just too bouyant.

A trick I was shown works a treat.

Take your bouyant super shallow runner, use a fine drill to put a hole just behing the bib. Drill until you just enter the internal cavity. Make sure you have fitted upgraded hooks and split rings and a snap if you use them. Now fill a bucket with water. Use a syringe to inject water into the lure. I use the same syringe i use to deflate swim bladders offshore. Then put it into the bucket. By adjusting the amount of water you can make the lure float/suspend how you want it. Finish with a tiny drop of quick setting epoxy.

A couple of things. In coldwater lures float more, in warmer water they sink more. The deeper they go the less bouyant they are. Most lures will lose some action. But the large hooks probably have more impact.

eotbmg
03-09-2006, 09:03 AM
Thanks for the great tip Cap.
Will be doing it to my lures this week as i am going to Monduran next weekend!!! Cant wait

LOUIE
03-09-2006, 07:34 PM
Guys

A thought!

A critical factor that will effect the bouyancy of a lure is the salt content of the water you are fishing in, I believe this will have a greater effect than a change in the water temperature. The nigger fisherman have this well tabbed when they calibrate their floats for maximum sensitivity.

For the pristine fresh water fisheries of the far north this may be insignifant, however drought conditions do create higher salt levels in freshwater streams.

Louie

I have been using suspending lures for barra since 1999. Although the old whitelady bellbrook swayback i used in the 60's would also have qualified. As others have written, the advantage is that you can let the big girls trundle up below and eye ball the lure. They often grab it either when its dead still or just as it moves.

The problem is there are few good ones about. B52s with 6X trebles and heavy split rings and a split ring at the eye are effective and storm saltwater thundersticks are great if upgraded. But a number of others are just too bouyant.

A trick I was shown works a treat.

Take your bouyant super shallow runner, use a fine drill to put a hole just behing the bib. Drill until you just enter the internal cavity. Make sure you have fitted upgraded hooks and split rings and a snap if you use them. Now fill a bucket with water. Use a syringe to inject water into the lure. I use the same syringe i use to deflate swim bladders offshore. Then put it into the bucket. By adjusting the amount of water you can make the lure float/suspend how you want it. Finish with a tiny drop of quick setting epoxy.

A couple of things. In coldwater lures float more, in warmer water they sink more. The deeper they go the less bouyant they are. Most #lures will lose some action. But the large hooks probably have more impact.

Papa_Smurf
03-09-2006, 08:45 PM
Doesnt matter too much a slow sinker or slow floater is still effective but the beauty of the technique is that it takes little time to take out a little water or add to it dependent on how cold or salty the water is.

I find if you adjust the buoyancy suitably you can make a cast last up to five minutes. But watch the line, often the only evidence of a strike is a change in tension.

BigChiefBarra
03-09-2006, 09:57 PM
Proof is in the catch'n. Used this exact technique only last week @Awoonga. Landed a 107cm with the BEST hook-up i've ever had. Retreiving a Blue Fox Barra to the boat had the Barra following, it was about to head home again when I simply stopped my retrieve. The lure slowly fluttered downward and SMASH. The best most VISUAL strike ever, what a rush. Thanks to Ben Platten for the tip............. An unadjusted lure would have simply floated to the surface and the fish would have swam away.

Thanks Ben, again..

Papa_Smurf
04-09-2006, 07:24 PM
Taught him everything he knows - just ask him. He tries hard and might beat me one day!!!

BigChiefBarra
04-09-2006, 08:08 PM
Hey Capt'n, we'll have to hook up one day for a trip. Lets me teach you something hey !!!!!

You know where to find me...................

BigChiefBarra
04-09-2006, 08:12 PM
Capt'n Nemo JNR that is ..........

fubarfish5
17-09-2006, 11:15 PM
Hi Guys
Just been reading about the suspending lure trick.
I fish mainly for trout but have found that in some cases the suspending lures can be the diff between a couple of nice fish in the keeper or a pitstop at the fish market.
I manufacture my own lures now but a trick a friend of mine used to use was similar to how you have described only he used to drill a hole large enough to put a small rubber plug into as he could then push the needle back through whenever he wished to add or remove water to suit conditions.
I thought it may be worth a mention even though I dont know much about Barra coming from Tas.
I think he used push bike valve rubber ;)

Mak579
18-09-2006, 07:08 AM
Another less intrusive way of creating suspending lures is to use "sticky weight". It's a bit like blu-tac, put as much or as little on as you like, very simple.

Matt C

BigChiefBarra
18-09-2006, 07:24 PM
Another great benefit to drilling lures that I've found is, not only does the added weight give greater casting distance but in some cases the added weight improves the action of the lure when worked.

The water doesn't effect the swimming action the same as the Sticky Putty would.......

Gaz