PDA

View Full Version : Filleted Dam Barra - Male, Female or Shemale?

black_sheep
19-09-2006, 02:05 PM
Ausfishers,

Just wondering if anyone can share advice/experience on dam barra they have filleted.

Firstly, most fisho's know that barra change sex from male to female at a certain size. I have also read that although barra do come in spawingin the dams, they never lay their eggs or release melt and reabsorb it back into their system.

Through further research I have also discovered that stocked barra should never turn into females in the dams as their hormones only react and allow them to meta-morph in saltwater. Therefore, only remnant wild barra that existed in the system prior to the dam being built would/could be female (when they still had access to saltwater).

I know most fisho's refer to big barra as "she, her, big mamma's" etc but are they???

Has anyone filleted a dam barra that had row or melt in it???? Where did you catch it and what size was it and do you remember the month?

Most importantly, was it melt or row????

Any other opinions or theories would be welcomed and appreciated - it's been bugging me for years.

McCod
20-09-2006, 07:34 AM
Can't recall seeing any roe in big impoundment Barra some were that fat like bloated big Golden Perch but nothing in side...... may be big boys???
Should be a biologist out there that can let ya know!

Cheers Les

black_sheep
20-09-2006, 08:31 AM
Thanks Les,

All research I've done says that Barra need saltwater to change sex so I have to assume that stcoked barra are all male.

I was just interested to see if anyone has caught a dam barra with roe in it. It could very well be an original fish before the dam went in.

Cheers
Navi