PDA

View Full Version : Favourite topwater lures 4 Bass

scoocer101
14-09-2006, 07:48 PM
Hi guys, wondering what type surface lures work for u on bass?
Intending on stocking up on my surface lures. I never can have enough lures as they say. ;D
If u got some good surface lures that work well on bass, could u give me the details like how much u paid for them and where abouts can i get them.

All help appretiated :) :)

scoocer101

warrior
14-09-2006, 08:03 PM
mate the rapala skitterpops and rivertosea cicadas work a treat for me,the rivertosea lures are dinamite out at maroon dam just on dark in the warmer months ,roll on summer

scoocer101
15-09-2006, 02:29 PM
warrior

I got a couple of rapala skitterpops but they havent really work for me at borumba dam. But the river2sea poppers have worked fairly well. I might buy some more rapala skitterpops in some other colours.

thanks warrior

Hey has any no where i can get some zig zags?? I saw them on a fishing show and the bass loved em.

The_Walrus
15-09-2006, 03:34 PM
Heddons Jitterbugs, Heddons tiny & teeny torpedos, tong poppers and Bassman's mini buzzbait.

Luc

Jonli
15-09-2006, 03:47 PM
I like Rapala skitterpop , Heddon Sara spook and Thai designed frog lures , always have them in my tackle box among other things .

JonLi .

hardb8
16-09-2006, 11:05 PM
Howdy scoocer,
# # # # # # # # # # # # The lures you're refering to as zigzags are called stickbaits,They have a side to side action when the right rod work is implied.This retreive is know as a (Walking the dog).

Stickbaits :- Heddon Zara. # #Puppy is (Large) Pooch is (Small) These lures sit with their tail slightly down in the water.About $14.

# # # # # # # # # #Eddys Surface Buster, Australian made for Australian fish.$12 8-)

Pencilbait :- These sit at about a 45 degree angle (Tail down) and are good with tiny twitches to keep ya lure in the strikzone longer,I try to make mine look like a surface feeding mullet.They will also suit the walking retreive if the fish are aggressive.

Jackall Bros, Water Moccassin,$22 :o
Megabass, Dog X Jr,$18 ;)

Poppers :- Lots of good ones out there.

Rapala, Skitter Pop 5cm,Try lime frog. ;)$12
Rebel, Crickhopper.$12

Paddlers :-

Arbogast, Jitterbug,1/4 or 3/8oz in black.$14
Predetek, Spaddler.$12

Fizzers :-

Heddon, Tiny Torpedo.$14
Lucky Craft, Bevy Prop.$18

Buzz baits :-

Megabass,Short pitch twin prop.$16
Or keep ya money in Aus and buy a Bassman. 8-)

Most of these lures should be at decent tackle shops,And all are available online.Prices will vary,That's a guide for ya though.There are many other brands that work well also.Just put a couple of each style that I use myself on Australian Bass.

# # # # # # Hope I've been of some help. #Regards hardb8 # #;) # # #

scoocer101
17-09-2006, 03:27 PM
Thanks hardb8

Looks like i'll be going shopping for some lures.

All help appreciated ;D

scoocer101

hard
22-09-2006, 10:10 PM
new to surface lures whats the name of the lure in jonli photo can someone help

thank you hard

metallica
23-09-2006, 08:56 AM
I dont know wat the ones in Jonlis pictures are called. but they are very similar to the ones i use, scum frogs and bass rats. 16.95 for the scum frog, 10.55 for the bass rat. My favorite surface lure for bass would have to be the heddon tiny torpedo.

cheers, Dave

hard
23-09-2006, 02:51 PM
thanks dave i think they look like addy lures from Thailand i will try heddon tiny torpedo

thank hard

LOUIE
24-09-2006, 12:50 PM
Check out Bills Bugs if you want a proven Aussie product.

LOUIE

hard
04-10-2006, 06:08 PM
lovie
# # where can i get bills bugs from cant find much about them

thank you hard

Tropicaltrout
04-10-2006, 07:33 PM
I like those big flies I call them scruffies dynamite on Bass, Toga etc Trying them this weekend up the noosa river :)
TT

elleburra
04-10-2006, 09:20 PM
scoocer, I reckon it depends if you are fishing impoundments or rivers.
We are on the upper reaches of a NSW mid north coast river
and Arbogast jitterbugs (original American made ones) and Heddon tiny torpedoes have been very good. Particularly the Heddon tiny torpedo in the black shore colour, it is black with a white skeleton painted over. Although the bass do seem to go crazy with the plop, plop sound of the Jitterbugs.

Also we have had a lot of success with the Koolabung Cicada fizzer, locally made in Port Macquarie and deadly both for bass and bream (I favour the green and gold colour but black is supposed to be good also).
Funny enough probably my most successful bass lure is this strange lure my daughter bought me for my birthday out of a Taree fishing shop, it is this obscene small black and pink thing with more bass teeth marks in it than you could ever imagine.

budgebass
04-10-2006, 11:28 PM
Sorry guys

The best topwater lure for bass is the Hula Popper in 1 3/4 inch and black in colour.

It can be worked very loud but very subltely and it has teh roly poly roll which makes it so lifelike at rest.

I fish it at Maroon all the time and it produces the best fish.

Maroon is a very hard dam to score bigger bass. 1 morning at Maroon we scored 10 bass over 40cm.

cheers
budgebass
a bassy on a popper is better than .........................