PDA

View Full Version : Catching freshwater shrimp

NormC
19-09-2006, 03:32 PM
Heading for Somerset this week. I generally fish with lures and SPs, but my wife often prefers bait, so I thought I'd try to catch some fresh water shrimp.

I've previously used a standard rectangular bait trap with bread for bait with some success, but not great. Bread is a very convenient bait when camping, but is there something better?

Clint06
19-09-2006, 04:05 PM
Soap seems to work pretty well, or any sort of meat. I find that you get too many small fish and not that many shrimp when using bread.

NormC
19-09-2006, 04:38 PM
Yeh Clint, I'm aware of soap (the fat content I guess), but I've never used it. We are always being told not to use soap in or near streams and dams, so I don't.

Don't know if I'm doing the right thing or not.

Norm C

scoocer101
19-09-2006, 06:09 PM
Hey NormC

Small tins of cat food are the best bait for redclaw and SHRIMPS.

poor_mans_barra
19-09-2006, 06:11 PM
If you can catch a carp cut it up and put it in your trap, or good old standby is dry dog/cat food, not messy and is always ready.

PMB

bearclaw
19-09-2006, 06:15 PM
Not sure but I think it is ilegal to use carp as any sort of bait.

Myles

robb0
19-09-2006, 07:09 PM
Norm,
for years we used all sorts of bait for shrimp, soap, meat, chicken bones, fish frames the list goes on. Recently we've been using cheese with great sucess.
Tim

rowdycowdy
19-09-2006, 08:33 PM
gidday norm

I use the cheapest home brand soap and eucalyptus leaves and it works a treat, the soap because its made from animal fats. I think the leaves work because it is what the shrimp use for shelter and it makes them feel at ease, but that is a guess, my neighbour from when I was a kid put me onto it.

cheers

rowdy

budgebass
20-09-2006, 10:59 AM
Hi Norm

Yellowbelly frames hands down are the best shrimp bait.

But of late we have been using small plastic medicine bottles with a lid.
Punch em full of holes and stuff them full of old pilchards.
Or use any cat food with a pilchard/sardine flavour.

Stick them in your shrimp traps. If you are using the rectangular pots at this time of year leave the zips on top open.

Good Luck
Cheers
Budgebass

BobbyJ123
22-09-2006, 06:25 AM
I have an old landing net that the nylon perished and made up a net using shade cloth, sewing it on to the frame using 25lb line. I go into the weed beds, about knee deep and scrape the net through the weed. Millions of shrimp. :) Just that easy.

Herby13
22-09-2006, 12:58 PM
dont use any part of the carp at all >:(, just a sure fire way of spreading the little bastards if you ask me!

BrandonH
22-09-2006, 02:45 PM
Bread and a small amount of good quality dry dog food ;) (the good stuff has more "nurtrision" in it) bass belly flaps work well also but you still need to drop the traps in a spot where the shrimp are.. Night time is best also. I have found that i get more fish then shrimp during the day and bugger all fish but heaps of shrimp at night :)

Cheers
Brandon...

jpart10
23-09-2006, 10:12 PM
Non Scented Soap and Catfish ;) can never go wrong. I deffinety oppose to carp and just to let you know if your thinking of doing it. $150000 fine Id rather spend that money on a 42ft cat ;) cheers

LOUIE
24-09-2006, 12:46 PM
NormC

Look in at the local butcher and purchase a heart or liver, cut into useable portions and tie a piece into trap. The shrimp love it.

LOUIE

Massive
27-09-2006, 07:17 PM
Hey Norm try some boiled potatoes after many trials it wins hands down, Massive.

Scott_Thunder
01-10-2006, 09:09 AM
Hey Norm,
gum leaves in the main section and dry dog food pellets in the bait zipper cant fail

KelvinH
05-10-2006, 08:16 PM
chicken bones work great

Fishing_Freddy
07-10-2006, 07:44 AM
I was down the river last night netting some shrimp and this old fellow came down and had this home made net that was about 600x 400 rectangle and 300 deep with a handle which was off an concrete bull float. He simply thru it out beyond the grass and dragged it back thru the grass and caught quiet a few in twenty minutes he had the same as me which took me an hour so I might have to try and copy this set up
Ken ;D ;D ;D