PDA

View Full Version : Fishing spots with camping by the water

NormC
07-09-2006, 12:16 PM
I've set myself up with a 3.5 m roof top tinnie with 15 HP outboard. When travelling, we don't have a trailer for it. We tow an off road camper trailer and I don't have a fold up trailer and haven't worked out how to carry one yet.

I'm looking for good fishing spots within 2 to 6 hours of the Gold Coast where we can camp by the water. That way I can leave the boat in the water, or take it out on clamp on jockey wheels, but leave it set up.

We are self contained with shower, toilet etc, so bush camping is OK (actually preferred).

Happy to target any species as long as I have a chance to catch something. Even better if I can toss in the pots for some Red Claw!

Any ideas?

mylestom
07-09-2006, 01:09 PM
Norm,

A few places come to mind, but a lot depends on what type of fish you want to chase.

Yellowbelly, Silver Perch and odd Murray Cod would think of someplace like Leslie Dam.

Bass lots of dams available, get the Bass and Barra Trail brochure from QLD Tourism.

Someplaces like the Boyne camp at the back of Awoonga dam might also suit for Barra.

Lots of choices and lots of threads available.

Have a camper trailer myself with 3.7m Traveller and outboard and also have bulldog trailer on top and no problems with any of the gear over a lot of years.

Regards Trev

NormC
07-09-2006, 02:51 PM
Thanks Trev. I've ordered a copy of the Bass and Barra trail. Hopefully it will give details on camping available on the lake shores.

Potential sites I've identified so far (from web search, so not a lot of detail known) are:

Awoonga (Boyne camp area)
Atkinson (CP on waterfront)
Boondooma (Camp area with full CP facilities on waterfront)
Leslie (Washpool camp area; seems to be a CP on waterfront)

Any further info on the above, plus others to add to my list would be most welcome.

bdowdy
07-09-2006, 03:07 PM
:)moogerah dam camp right on the water, but if your after redclaw try cressbrook both have bass ,yellas, cod, and cressbrook has gar so you ;)ll always get a feed if the redclaw arnt on. cheers bdowdy

NormC
07-09-2006, 03:17 PM
Thanks bdowdy, I found a great site with info on Cressbrook:

http://www.aroundoz.com/november_2001/cressbrook_dam.htm

Isn't the net wonderful!

mikedel
07-09-2006, 03:24 PM
Kirkleagh at Somerset is not bad, Boondooma is a bit further away ( over 4-1/2 hrs from the Gold Coast ) but a top spot.

mylestom
07-09-2006, 03:55 PM
Atkinsons no good as no water in the dam.

Good luck with the fishing, camping and its great fun planning a trip to somewhere new.

Lots of info on this site and available on the web.

Sweetwaterfishing has great info on his site. Go to links above to help.

Regards TREV

Fitzy
07-09-2006, 09:17 PM
There's several locations you can camp near the water (depending on levels).
Go to www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au & click on Locations

Somerset
Moogerah
Boondooma
Leslie
Coolmunda
Wivenhoe

Also check out some of the areas on the western downs.
Just been adding info on access points around Gundi, Charleville & Tara regions..

Cheers,

Fitzy..

NormC
07-09-2006, 10:07 PM
Thanks Fitzy. I had checked out your Sweetwater area, but your post prompted me to check it out again.

I now have quite a list. Some are a bit further away and I don't have full details on camping at them all yet, but I have enough to get me out there. The complete list is:

Atkinson's
Leslie
Boondooma
Awoonga
Cressbrook
Moogerah
Maraboon
Somerset
Wivenhoe

Thanks everyone for your help

rick_k
08-09-2006, 12:35 AM
harry's hut on the Noosa River if you can muscle your tinny over the log fence? No petrol powered motors above campsite 3 (?) Check the seasonal movement of bass; i.e. not many there in winter.

gav39
08-09-2006, 09:57 AM
Hey NormC,
When are you looking at going away ?
I will be honest have not been to many other Dams camping but we normally go with about 4 or 5 other families and we all love fishing and plenty off redclawm so the place to go for me is somerset dam (kirkleagh) so much so we are all going there on the 21st of sept for about 8 nights.
From what i have been hearing and seeing there are plenty of fish being caught ( Bass, Yellowbelly) and we never have any trouble getting a good feed of redclaw.
Plus the grounds and toilet facilities are always clean and tidy, we have found.

one day we might venture elsewhere but for now somerset is the place, plus we all have kids, great for them as well.

Regards
Gav

Herby13
08-09-2006, 10:15 AM
Lenthalls is alright mate, but i dont think they have upgraded the toilet block yet, still no showers! >:(

NormC
08-09-2006, 03:48 PM
Gav, Somerset around that time sounds great.
I'll e-mail you separately.
Norm C

ROB80
08-09-2006, 05:14 PM
You could try Rules Beach about 45 min nth Bundy. good prawning and crabbing on large reasonbly protected river.

finga64
09-09-2006, 07:25 AM
Camping right on the waters edge at Leslie. Pity there's not much water to go fishing in though.
Amasing to see campers at Leslie mowing the camp sites just before the Easter period. Gets pretty busy. Nice clean (ie no mud, few bits of rubbish though :'() beaches as well. It's all decomposed granite.
Glenlyon also has camping within a good lure throws from the water.

Tropicaltrout
10-09-2006, 09:04 PM
Lenthalls is beautiful, and theres a massive lake there for a bath? ;D

yellahunter
13-10-2006, 11:59 AM
i see that everyone is saying Leslie is right on the water, i wouldnt go that far.

Tha camp ground at Leslie dam is a few hundred meters back from the water with the low levels, i guess you could camp right down on the shore but theres no campsites with bush bbq etc

still a great place though