PDA

View Full Version : What's your favourite lure for fresh?

Canoedle
08-09-2006, 10:31 AM
I'm relatively new to this fresh water lark, and pretty much use 3 lures now on the troll when fishing Wivenhoe. A brown Manns deep diver, a Jackall TN60 and a killalure as seen in the attached pic. I had expected to see bass on both of the latter lures as they have got me solid bass in the past, and the Manns, well the catties seem to love it lol. It was a pleasant surprise to get a few nice yellas on them both as well. I've heard a few locals talking about spinner baits, but never had any luck with em, SO, cough it up! What's ya fav lure for bass and yellas?

davez104
08-09-2006, 11:41 AM
Used to have great success using stumpjumpers in the chrome colours, gold and silver. Also liked the halco polterghiests 50mm in purple or ozfrog. We mainly fished rivers where water depth was rarely deeper than about 4M but also fished Wuruma Dam a bit and did well with them up there too.

Dave.

seajay39
08-09-2006, 02:19 PM
All time favorite bass lure when trolling has to be a Bass Viper,in the brown/honeycomb colour,(pic).

Casting is a Bassman spinnerbait with a purple head black/gold skirt.and 1 Silver and 1 gold blade...

Sean

davez104
08-09-2006, 02:22 PM
Ah yes, the viper, almost forgot about that one. Every bit as good as the others I mentioned but gets a little more depth on the troll, came in handy quite a few times at Monduran. Also used that one in purple.

Dave.

scott_b
08-09-2006, 07:08 PM
Gday Canoedle
Mate I think spinnerbaits work best casting but I have seen them with winged sinkers on them , I'm not sure if it was being trolled because i found it stuck to a stump up the bank about 20 feet.
It was a good find because a few weeks later I put in on for a cast around a rocky loggy area and nabbed a nice 27lb cod.
wamjam

hardb8
08-09-2006, 07:49 PM
G'day canoedle,
# # # # # # # # # # # # I've got too many,But if I had to pick one....Sorry m8 I just can't do it.Am I crazy,Or is it just Bass fisherman?

Top waters:- # Megabass Dog X Jr # - # Pencil bait
# # # # # # # # # # Rapala Skitter Pop 5cm #- # Popper
# # # # # # # # # # Arbogast Jitterbug 1/8oz # - # Paddler
# # # # # # # # # # Heddon Zara Pooch # - # Stick bait #
# # # # # # # # # # Lucky Craft Bevy Prop # - # Fizzer
# # # # # # # # # # Megabass Gatta-X # - #Crawler with twin willow trailing blades
# # # # # # # # # # Megabass Short Pitch Twin # - # Buzzbait

Heaps of other favourite top waters,Just picked one of each style.

Minnows :- # #Mini Blitz Baga
# # # # # # # # # Flicks Cobra
# # # # # # # # # Megabass Bait X
# # # # # # # # # Knolls Native,And Native Minnow
# # # # # # # # # Bennets Baby Merlin
# # # # # # # # # Majik Sprat
# # # # # # # # # Jackall Bros Squirrel 61
# # # # # # # # # Lucky Craft Bevy Shad
# # # # # # # # # Predetek Boomerang
# # # # # # # # # Megabass MR X Griffon
# # # # # # # # # Bellbrook Wobbler

Traps :- Jackall Bros TN/60 and 50
# # # # # # Ecogear VT-65
# # # # # # Lucky Craft LV-500
# # # # # # Cotton Cordells' Rattlin Spot
# # # # # #
For slugs,Raiders in 20 and 40 grams work well when jigging. #

Not a big spinnerbait user but had success with the,Jackall Bros Eruption. # # # # # # # # # #

If it really had to be one............

# # # # # # # # #Jackall Bros TN/60,Due to the diversity of depths this lure will catch fish,It would be my choice,Effective from 1 foot through.

# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # Regards hardb8 # #;)

rogue2527
08-09-2006, 08:57 PM
Would have to say my favorites would be Jaysea patriot 80's, halco poltergiest 5m, barra classic and smiling jacks deep 15. Wish I could add soft plastics to the list but I truely suck with them. Have tried hard with jackalls and other bibless crankbaits but don't have the knack with them either...

Matt

Canoedle
09-09-2006, 10:02 PM
Thanks guys, looks like I've got some shopping to do. :P

jimmybob
09-09-2006, 10:51 PM
if ya can find the "old" halco combat with the bib that was part of the whole mould....thats a great yellowbelly lure in skinny water ;)

rowdycowdy
09-09-2006, 11:00 PM
I have had good sucess with imitaion lipless crankbaits, especially with the likes of reddies and yellows, so as I see it as long as you are using the right colour to suit the water you are fishing in you dont have to spend a fortune to catch fish?
I do not put down the benifits of Jackells and such lures, but they cost heaps and losing one is tradgic, so if a cheaper one works good!!

rowdy

Canoedle
09-09-2006, 11:02 PM
snags don't appear to be a big problem in Wivenhoe, never lost a lure to a snag yet in fact.

Tropicaltrout
12-09-2006, 09:36 PM
ANY LURE THATS GREEN AND GOLD ;),from tassie devil cobras to big vipers and halcos green and gold is it

Herby13
15-09-2006, 01:18 PM
Myself i fing trolling Jackels the best ever for bass, as well as spinnerbaits mainly SMAK spinnerbaits with the smaller gum tree shaped blabe on the back, (think its called willow blade).

Then with yella's i think the brown mann's 15+ and the No. 3 Gold with red back stumpjumber the best by a long shot.

Thomas.

Hairymick
15-09-2006, 06:05 PM
Heya Karl, ;D

cough, cough. SX 40s & 60s mate, ;) gold colours.

Canoedle
15-09-2006, 06:34 PM
::) You should have shares in ecogear Mick, cough cough (guessing he probly does) :P

aaron_gilmour
15-09-2006, 11:05 PM
Jackall mask 60 for sure. Very versitile and the best coloutr is one with a bit of purple.
Most times it is taken on the drop and in heavily pressured dams it can make the difference. The loud jackalls are not as effective any more with the bass wising up to the sound.

Cast or troll the are a gun lure for bass.

Cheers

Aaron

Canoedle
16-09-2006, 08:54 AM
I don't know why, but I always assumed smaller lures would be better for fresh water. I guess it's no surprise that larger lures get larger fish when you look at the size of some of the bonys in Wivenhoe though.

hardb8
16-09-2006, 07:56 PM
Hi all,
# # # #The boys at Jackall Bros have made the TN/60 with a single large ball opposed of the many small.It is called the Ioken sound.It produces a lower frequency sound and has all the attributs of the originals and works well.I agree the originals are not as effective as they once were on heavily fished waters.The Ioken model only comes in a handfull of patterns though.Don't forget the silent TN/60.SHHHHHHHHH..... ;)

# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #Regards hardb8 # #;)

Wild_One
17-09-2006, 03:18 PM
My favorite lure would have to be the good old oar-gee plow in frog pattern! ;)

metallica
20-09-2006, 10:58 AM
3/8oz vortex spinnerbait in black and white, its my favorite lure because i caught my first ever bass on it. i also like the heddon tiny torpedo for surface fishing.

cheers, Dave

Bronson
08-10-2006, 02:02 PM
I bought about 5 of these lures from this shop for $5.50 each
and they worked a treat they are called prince lures they dive around 5-6 foot
and catch a bucket load went down to maroon dam and i got 25 bass
the best going arout 38cm. only amall fish but i no these lures definetly works for bass. :) ;) :D ;D :o 8-) ::) :P :-X

The RMG poltaguist is not to bad for bass caught for fish one the prince lures but still works quite good.

bronson

ipswichfisher
08-10-2006, 09:54 PM
sorry everyone...caught up in the jackall hype just cant stop using them. lost four of them but at moogerah last week for 40 fish. losing the four jackalls and one smak spinnerbait hurt more than catching all those fish :-/ :) :'(

mikooh
08-10-2006, 10:36 PM
When it comes to cod you cant beat 1/2 oz spinnerbaits with twin colarado blades. Bassman, AusSpin, the brand doesnt realy matter you will soon find the fish if you slow roll them around snags.

Also 75mm Bills flutterbugs in black are great for surface work.

bob69xw
13-10-2006, 08:06 AM
In Somerset i seem to do alright on Horsey's lures (dive to 15 feet) and manns 15+ in the red and black, and in the green. This time last year i caught 16 bass and 5 yellas over two days. These lure also do alright in Wivenhoe.

Haven't used them lately as i have been hooked on soft plastics and these bloody jackels. not much success yet but still trying.

blue-mako
13-10-2006, 12:29 PM
I have only just began my fresh water fishing. So far I would say a small 2inch Berkley Power Grub in Bloodworm colour rigged on a 1/16th TT Jighead with size 2 hook. That's my soft plastic. My favourite Hardbodied lure would have to be an Ecogear SX40. Weird for Bass I know but they work for me :P .

Troy