PDA

View Full Version : Barramundi Cull info from GAWB

robyoung1
24-10-2006, 03:07 PM
I wrote a letter a couple days ago to the board, asking just what the real deal is with the rumors. I simply expressed the rumors being concerned about, that it seemed from hear-say that a ranger was advising the need to remove fish to save the fishery from overstocking, and such. I mentioned if the rumors were founded, then of course it'd be done by consciencous fishermen, but not knowing just what to do left one unsure.

Anyway.. the phone rang just a few minutes ago, and a Lady from the board (I forget her name now) told me she couldn't seem to raise my email account. All her attempts saw the email return to her. She'll try again, and so if and when it arives, i'll post it direct here, as she gave me permission to cite it, and her to quote the "official word".

And that word is that no advise to remove fish for the betterment of the fishery exists. That there's no alarm of overstocking in the slightest, and in fact current information shows an understocking is the curent problem (if any problem at all).

A survey will be conducted in full in April/March next year, with new and complete details probbaly resulting in enhanced numbers being stocked.

Seems an un-offical rumor is circulating, and a lot of panick is being recieved at the office. Again, it's completely base-less.

Water level is about 50% if that's of any interest too.

Anyways..

cheers
rob

BTW, I posted this as new thread because I thought a lot of people might have lost interest in the ongoing debates in the other threads. I figured this would reach more people this way is all.

Big_Ren
24-10-2006, 03:59 PM
Thanks for that Rob. I seriously hope that is the case. Good work in chasing that up.

Cheers
Paul ;)

smee
24-10-2006, 05:49 PM
About time some body actually got some facts out there as this conversation has gone on that bloody long without even knowing if the so called ranger even actually said anything. people have been getting off their high horse before the people in the know have had a chance to be asked..
regards smee

still_water
25-10-2006, 06:59 PM
Lets hope Monduran catches the same Ball.

mylestom
27-10-2006, 02:18 PM
Brett,
Still seems they are going ahead with the pens in Monduran. Already committed a lot of funds into that shed.

What was the source of the grant, hope it was not through the Sips program.

All seems to be a bit iffy, wonder what the factual science was behind the request and the grant.

Enough input over the last few weeks on Monduran with not of a lot of catches. Seems like returning the bigger fish to the dam would be more of a tourist attraction.

Hope your leg has healed.

Vote more fish for Monduran and not taking them out for feeding the homeless????

Trev

MORFIN
28-10-2006, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the valued information robyoung1, the process of rumours seems to be layed to rest and the facts are being brought to light. Seems as though maybe the understocking comment may see more barra being released back into the dam instead of rotting in the sun.

Pete Mate.