PDA

View Full Version : Caboolture River (above the Wier)

Feral
28-10-2006, 04:54 PM
I was reading on the sweetwater site that the Caboolture River wier is stocked with Bass. Anyone know anything about that (when, how many, by whom etc etc).

Has anyone fished there, Sweetwater says suitable for canoes, which means suitable for my 7 1/2 footer with the electric on it! I'd like to have a go at it, any ideas on suitable launching locations (can carry her down to the water if not to steep).

choppa
28-10-2006, 07:46 PM
gidday mate,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

one of the lads where i used to work reckons he caught bass AT THE WEIR ITSELF,,,,

now don't scoff,,,i've never fished it,,,but he and a mate used to haunt the place after work each saturday and came back with their reports each monday morning,,

they used a variety of offerings,, but reckon they had more success on that ""long life"" stuff that you can buy,,,(dunno the name,,,never used it)

anyway,,,my 2 bobs worth,,,,might be worthwhile investigating it

choppa

Feral
29-10-2006, 05:11 AM
Thanks Choppa - I reckon I'll stick my small boat in and have a cruise and try my luck.

candogu
29-10-2006, 06:14 PM
hey Feral let us know how you go ;).. as for launching location,, centenary lakes, beside the main bridge over caboolture river(morayfield rd)... I have seen canoes beening launched there many times in the past.. It's about 1km up stream from the weir.. good luck

Feral
29-10-2006, 06:26 PM
Ta!

Tim_01
29-10-2006, 08:01 PM
Hey Feral,

I've fished the Caboolture river a few times with some mates in the last few months. We were just fishing off the bank about 100m downstream from the launching site Candogu spoke of. Every time we went we caught 3 or so bass, some catties and also a few bloody eels >:( . All were caught using live worms and crayfish, and RMG scorpions. And thats not too bad alright considering its location and the fact that we didnt change location the whole time. I think it would definitely be worth a try in a canoe.

Good Luck! :)

Tim.

woolybugger
31-10-2006, 01:54 PM
I have fished in there with a canoe on many occasions.

Good launches are the main bridge near the lakes or further up at Bellmere at the bridge on River drive etc. There are a few more, but the best thing is to launch in those two areas and/or do a recce of the area.

The upper reaches seem to be better for snags etc and had good success at the fork of the main river and Wararba crk and up the Waraba crk itself.

This time of the year they are all through the system but in winter they congregate near the dam wall or in a deep stretch just upstream of the walking bridge near riverview st.

We used spinnerbaits and fly in there and yes it has been stocked by the Caboolture fish stocking society (I think they're called)

I hope this helps alittle.

shayned
31-10-2006, 06:07 PM
Great thread, just got the first kayak and was looking for places to explore. I'd forgotten about here. From memory there is a launch site below the weir next to a bridge club? might be called rafting ground reserve or road? A lot of mullet there and apparently the odd bull shark to be had.

The_Walrus
31-10-2006, 07:26 PM
Upstream of the weir is great bass water for canoes & kayaks.

Past the walking bridge there's a water pipe you'll need to get past.
Depending on water level, you go over, under or turn around. ;D
It depends on how heavy your craft is.

Am on hols at present so I'm planning a trip there midweek.

Early morning is great with surface lures :)

Luc

Obi___Wan
31-10-2006, 08:14 PM
Played golf at the course along the river a few years ago and thought at the time it was a very promising bass spot, lots of cover and snags.
Ideal for a canoe.
Good Luck

OBI_WAN

Feral
01-11-2006, 06:28 AM
Yeah definately will give it a try.