PDA

View Full Version : where to fish in fernvale?

staddie_local
01-11-2006, 11:26 AM
hello mate,

in a few weeks in going fishing up in the town of "fernvale" that just down from wivenhoe dam and across somorset dam. now im going camping in the runs off creeks and river surrounding that area. now does anyone know where i could go fishing around that area, for some nice catches.

thanks les :D

aussiebasser
01-11-2006, 06:50 PM
G'day Les,

You're talking about my home town now mate. I've just moved to Lowood which is only 5 k's from Fernvale. First spot to try is the bridges just west of town on the main highway. A canoe will give you access to plenty of excellent Bass water but you can walk the banks. Next stop would be the reserve on Fieldings Road off the Lowood road. It's a bit of a walk but you can access some of the river there. Keep heading up the Lowood road until you come to the 80k sign then take the dirt track in to the river, plenty of bank for walking there too! There are quite a few river crossings on the roads leading off from the Fernvale Ipswich road where you can walk some banks as well.
Good luck.

staddie_local
02-11-2006, 08:56 AM
thanks alot aussie, what would you recommend i use? see im not much a freshwater boy but, i did live in beudesert for a wil and used to fish the lakes and dams with bamboo rods catching the mullet and catfish.

last time i went to fernvale, i used my saltwater gear. i caught a lungfish, a preistoric fish that is you keep there is a huge fine and some small perch, i seen a bloke using worms and a float catching gar?

then i herd rummors that there where barra and large fish near by, do you have any idea where?

one last thing, this is where ill be camping is down the road from the town of fernvale, past the servo and just as you come around a right hand turn there is a small dirt track, that leads you to a bridge very small one and further up there is farms but ill be camping just at the bridge. what rigs and bait should i use bearing in mind ill be bank fishin.

thanks les :D