PDA

View Full Version : AWOONGA DAM STILL BUSY

DNO40
01-11-2006, 07:03 PM
Went for a bit of a nosey out to Awoonga today to check out the numbers.

There is still a lot of punters around, maybe they've stayed after the Fish (Kill) Fest. Must have been at least 40+ trailers at the ramp @ around 1330

I was hoping the place had settled down and most of the terrorists had gone home, with the good weather forecast for the weekend I was hoping.

Bumped into and had a quick chat with Darryl (Pelagic Chaser) who had just arrived and was setting up camp along with seajay39. Darryl was up to give the new Boat a run.

Maybe next week things will settle down, doesn't anybody work a full week anymore !

DNO

McCod
01-11-2006, 07:46 PM
Gday DNO! wishfull thinking mate ;) Ya may have to wait till winter for it to settle down..... I guess there will be plenty of lunatics up there this week-end..... May crack the 200 mark @ the ramp yet? Then ya got the 4 days of the ABT next week! Someone should write an article or 2 on Awoonga and how to catch Barra ;D so the local tourist industry can be boosted. Maybe a few more Mexican’s need to know ;)

Cheers Les

DNO40
01-11-2006, 09:21 PM
Les,

Is there anybody left that dosen't Know !

DNO

barramad.
01-11-2006, 10:13 PM
Someone should write an article or 2 on Awoonga and how to catch Barra ;D so the local tourist industry can be boosted. Maybe a few more Mexican’s need to know ;)

#Cheers Les

Shit, thats a great idea! Might get onto that. ::)
JW

DNO40
02-11-2006, 05:37 AM
JW,

Don't even kid about it !

DNO

Awoonga
02-11-2006, 06:30 AM
Went out on Awoonga last night....Yes a few there....64 trailers @ 6pm...Still tales of woe at the ramp when we returned...Lots of little fish around though.....

TonyM
02-11-2006, 07:41 AM
Yuck, was thinking of heading up but might be safer to wait for winter!

And don't anyone dare write anything about catching Barra in winter because we all know that doesn't happen right? ;)

Hey Trev, got those lures yet mate? I've almost finished painting the house and pick up the new boat tommorow so finally get some time for some serious (or not so serious) fishing :)

timbacutta
02-11-2006, 12:48 PM
Palegic Chaser (Darryl) just called and said they got 2 Barra this morning. One 875 and other a bit smaller. He counted 88 boats on the water yesterday arvo(no fish). Me I'm just getting an itchy casting thumb. My boats out at the dam ready to go, I'm back at home in Gladstone looking at the ausfish sight while the car's at the repair shop. Went for a ride on the back of a tilt truck last evening when it broke down on the way to the dam. Nearly got there, got as far as the corner for Lookout No. 1. Just waiting on the phone call to say it's all fixed and I be out there again. Darryl was good enough to come and get the boat and tow it to the camping ground. It helps when you have his rum supply on board. Here's hoping the barra play the game.

Jeff.

DNO40
02-11-2006, 03:26 PM
Good to see that Darryl has actually got something, beats the reports from most people at the moment.

Hoping to get out for a beer on friday.

DNO

MORFIN
02-11-2006, 09:43 PM
Awoonga,
64 trailers @ the boat ramp,thats a bit bellow avarage. Sounds like I should tow my rig up this full moon to make up the numbers & maybe a few of my mates as well then!! ;D

PETE MATE.

outrigger
03-11-2006, 05:20 AM
Better make that 65, I will be there sunday after a drive from the G/C for three days. Hope there is one left for me. Hope to run into a few members, drive F/Truck with 4.5 mts glass Bermuda please say g/day
Regards Outrigger

DNO40
03-11-2006, 06:15 AM
Outrigger,

Sounds like Franco will be in the houseboat for the week as well (with mates, I presume) so that will be 66+ on the Dam.

Will keep an eye out for you.

DNO

Awoonga
03-11-2006, 07:32 AM
Its going to Rain.....Yes we need it.....But this weekend........ABT Comps Sat/Sun.l dont fancy spending 16 hours in the rain :'(..and again Tue/ Wed.....l think there will be over 100 boats on the Dam these next few days

McCod
03-11-2006, 08:08 AM
nothin in it mate..... don,t know what ya worried about :-/ anyway ya should be used to it by now ;D

FRI
Afternoon Clouds. Mild. 20 km/h
N - 65% 20 27
SAT
Passing Showers. Morning Clouds. Mild. Humid. 18 km/h
N 6mm
(50%) 81% 20 24
SUN
Morning Clouds. Warm. 10 km/h
N - 46% 19 30
MON
Morning Clouds. Warm. 8 km/h
N - 50% 20 30
TUE
Mostly Sunny. Warm. 14 km/h
ENE - 60% 21 30
WED
Mostly Cloudy. Mild. Breezy. 33 km/h
ESE - 66% 20 25

barradise
04-11-2006, 01:44 AM
Yep nothing in it mate!

Besides the the overly heavy dew???

Always avoid the crowds by using the bush camp embankment ramp, although the weed is starting to to become broad spread. Nothing for using the Benaraby ramp though, that bloody hill climb would kill a brown dog.
John.

darryl_l
06-11-2006, 06:58 PM
Well I made it back from the madding crowd OOPS I mean Awonga. ;D ;D With my new launching technique (me in the boat and deckie parking the trailer) ;) :) 8-) I didnt find a problem with the amount of boats on the water. Final score for the three days was five small fish to me and four fish (three over the metre) to the deckie >:( >:( :'(so now I'm looking for a new deckie (can't have em beating me). ;D ;D Good to catch up with CQHornet even if it wasn't drinks on Friday but maybe next time.

Darryl L

SeekingBarradise
07-11-2006, 11:34 AM
Well done pelagic chaser on catching those stubborn Barra.

How did you catch the fish? Casting - Trolling?

What type or lures and retrieves - if you dont mind us asking?

What areas did you get the fish and what times?

Cheers SeekingBarradise