PDA

View Full Version : Tagging data.

hardb8
06-11-2006, 09:50 PM
Hi all,
# # # #I caught my first tagged fish on my birthday (Cool present) and sent the info to Suntag.They in return sent me back details of the original capture in a matter of days #8-).I have always been intrested in the growth rate of fish,And was more than happy to help this great cause.Here is the information that has been learned for those who are intrested.

Species :- Australian Bass. Tag #R32334.

Original tagging info :- Angler :- B Hazelwood. # # #Recapture info :- Angler :- Me #:D. #
# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #
# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # Date :- 22/1/06. # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # Date :- 1/11/06.

# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # Fork lenght :- 450mm. # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #Fork lenght :- 460mm.

This was the first time this Bass has been recaptured scince it's tagging to Suntags knowledge.It spent 283 days out from the tagging date for a growth of 10mm.

This Bass is still at liberty #8-).Upon being caught be me it was in excellent condition,And it was released in the same manner,And I'm looking foward to meeting up with her again in the future.

I also caught another tagged fish on Sunday.The details will be on their way to Suntag tommorrow.
# # # # # # # # # # #
# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #Regards hardb8 # #;)

BrandonH
06-11-2006, 10:54 PM
Sweet that was my fish!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Would have thought that it would be a little bigger after that long but still looks in good nick :)

wonder who caught the other one!! My dad and me tagged a hell of a lot of them that weekend ;)

Cheers N
Tight Lines

Brandon...

Awoonga
07-11-2006, 06:01 AM
Top effort both off you... :) :)

hardb8
08-11-2006, 06:04 PM
Hi Brandon,
Small world hey.I too thought that the fish here would grow quicker.You always hear stuff about growth rates,But this is the first concrete stuff I personaly know of.As mentioned ya Bass was in prime condition and swam off with vigour 8-).

My m8 caught a Bass recently that went 48cm to the fork,And upon landing this fish it regurgitated a bait that went 18cm to it's fork :o. (See pic below) To say I was shocked would be an understatment.With the Bass eating food of this size,And it being abundant in the lake,I thought growth rates would be much higher than learned.

This is one of the best things about fishing....The constant learning curve.

Been seriously contemplating upsizing my lures :).

Those at Suntag and those who put tags in go to alot of trouble to make the this program happen.And it only takes a second to do a little that helps alot....

Fish lenght :- Fork,Overall,Or both.
Tag number
And location caught.

These are the only details you need to get.Put this number in ya phone....Suntag...1800 077 001.It'll probably happen when you least expect it.

Awoonga,
Thanks m8,Glad to put a small piece into a big picture.

Regards hardb8 ;)

tiges
08-11-2006, 06:42 PM
That's a classic story Hardb8, good on you and Brandon for taking good care of the fish. It gave you both an exciting little snapshot in time, and will give another angler a thrill sometime in the future (hopefully not someone who will just dong it on the head). As for bigger lures, any lake with boney's in it you can use some quite big profile lures. Been using lots of 70mm+ size lipless cranks with good success. As in your pic the bait they've been regurging have been pretty large, so just matching the hatch. Amazing, they'll gorge themselves silly, and still manage to engulf a lure right down their throat.

tiges
08-11-2006, 06:46 PM
Took my nephews out a couple of weeks back, and we found a school of boneys being pillaged by some bass. They had a go at the boney in the pic below, but he must of been too big for them to handle. He was swimming around all disorientated on the surface, and pretty beat up. So the boys netted him for a pic, then sent him back to his doom.

The_Walrus
08-11-2006, 07:10 PM
I believe that as bass get bigger, their growth rate slowsdown proportionaly due the the mass increase for each increase in lenght.

A 1 cm increase in lenght on say a 50 cm bass would represent a grater increase in mass than the same 1 cm increase on say a 30 cm bass.

Luc

mylestom
08-11-2006, 07:56 PM
Well done, a bit of catch n release is great for the future with the help of the tags.

Congratulations to both anglers, fish for your childrens future -- (hopefully it will be catching )
Trev

Big_Ren
09-11-2006, 04:40 PM
Awesome to hear that. Great work guys. Thumbs up.

Cheers
Paul

RML
09-11-2006, 09:09 PM
I think the AUSTAG program is fantastic.

I caught a tagged bream back in July and after reporting the details received a great certificate showing all the tag and recapture information.

Their website has regular news bulletins showing tag and recapture maps. It is interesting stuff.