PDA

View Full Version : Jungle Perch

Taipan
08-11-2006, 07:32 PM
Just wondering if anyone in the know could possibly point me in the right direction to catch some JP's close to Townsville. Also what lures seem to work best on them?? I have a light spin outfit with 6 pound braid.

goddy100
08-11-2006, 11:54 PM
Let me know if you find out, really keen to score a couple now I'm over here. Talking to a few people Tully seems to be the way to go. Maybe get a few of us together for a day trip on the Tully river chasing sooties and JPs. Would be fun!!

Goddy

Jim_Tait
09-11-2006, 04:42 AM
If your keen to walk Townsville (Thuringowa actually) has fantastic JP fishing but you have to get into the headwaters of the streams - every coastal catchment drainage from Blackriver to Crystal Creek have good JP populations in their perrenial headwaters - get some 1;50,000 toppo maps and /or the Geoscape 1;25000 aerial photography on disk and virtual explore which creeks you can drive or walk to the upper catchments - check National Park boundaries for some of them - the biggest fish are usually in the last pool before the imapassable waterfall - in creeks that are perrenial to the coast the JPs also extend all the way through the coastal lowlands - here's a hint there is a coastal State Forest (publically accessible) north of Townsville that has two JP creeks within it - tight lines - NB they're verywary and inteliigent fish - wear drab clothing and approach waterholes with stealth - stand off for the first cast and move on after a couple - regards Jim

Taipan
09-11-2006, 08:39 AM
Thanks for the info Jim. Any lure preference for these fish.

Sounds good Goddy

Jim_Tait
10-11-2006, 04:16 AM
anything in the right size range really - I prefer small medium depth diving minnows (Mcgrath one of my favorites) but include a couple of surface lures for fun - don't forget to go barbless if you want to avoid hurting fish - Jim

Taipan
10-11-2006, 10:42 AM
Thank for the info Jim.

wheezer
10-11-2006, 09:10 PM
used to have fantastic sessions on JP's and sooties north of tully...mainly used smallest rebel pop r's also an small minnow will do the trick