PDA

View Full Version : Monduran Platypuss??

BR65
08-11-2006, 09:21 PM
Was tucked up a little bay on Sunday morn and saw what I thought was a platypuss duck diveing. Definately wasnt a shag or turtle.
Any one else seen one of these up there, if it was a platty it was the first sighting in the natural for me.
cheers
Brian

davez104
08-11-2006, 10:01 PM
Quite possibly was. Was it fairly early in the morning? Have not seen one myself at Monduran but have seen them a few times in Teemburra. Have also seen them in the Burnett River. If you have an electric you should be able to get fairly close to them. If they dive under as you aproach, just stop and be quiet, they will often resurface pretty close to you. A beautiful animal and a fairly rare experience to see one in the wild.

Dave.

Freeeedom
09-11-2006, 10:32 AM
I was up there for a week in May and was casting in amongst the timber in one of the bays only a kilometre or so from the dam wall. I had motored in and let a slight breeze push me along so I hadn't made much noise for a few minutes when a platypus surfaced about 6 metres from the boat. Surprisingly he didn't see me and he played around for a few minutes before disappearing. It was a real magic moment - it didn't matter that I didn't get any fish that day
Cheers Freeeedom

themisses
09-11-2006, 02:30 PM
How beautiful are they!! I saw my first one at Toonanbar Dam near Kyogle on Sunday. Made my day!! :)
Cheers Kim.

still_water
09-11-2006, 04:39 PM
Brian there are a few platty's in Monduran. I have seen a few now but not often, I am sure the old manager has a photo of a couple playing up against the dam wall.

Brett.

MORFIN
09-11-2006, 06:34 PM
BR65, About this time last year I was fortunate enough to get up close to one at Waruma dam when the water levels were up.

PETE MATE.

raindancer
09-11-2006, 07:14 PM
I was up the end of flutter creek & the boyne arm of awoonga recently & saw platypuss in both spots. Its magic to see them in the wild like that .

Davo.

scott_b
09-11-2006, 07:26 PM
Gday Brian
Mate we seen one up in the top end of Monduran last week !,same as Freeeedom we were drifting with the wind and it swam out from the bank in front of us and looped around back towards the boat ,then it seen us and sh#t itself and disappeared. There is a lot of them in the rivers around here but its the first time Iv'e seen one in a dam.
wamjam

BR65
09-11-2006, 07:56 PM
Yeah was on the leccy about 5.30 in the morning so was nice and quiet. Thought it was a platty, but never haveing seen one in the wild I had to give the eyes a bit of a rub to double check.
Awesome.
Sounds like theres a few more around than what I thought.
Brett, how did you go last Sunday, saw you up the back there but you had a couple of fishos on board, so I didnt come over to say g,day.
Brian

rick_k
09-11-2006, 11:19 PM
that was me swimming for a classic barra gold that a nice fish took around an unseen and deep stump.

I'm a little bigger than a platypus, but about as hairy.

Now I know to tighten the HRF drag right up.

still_water
10-11-2006, 07:28 AM
Brian the last week for me has been the worst I have ever had, with the occassional fish ripping out at 1000 kmh and heading home with us not connected. ;)
I was going to fish the comp this weekend with Awoonga , but have been laid up again with another Infection in my leg. >:( :'(
I had to pull out at the last minute as the pain is just to much to bare. >:( >:(

Brett.

mikedel
10-11-2006, 04:03 PM
Had two around the boat at Cania 2 weeks ago. I think they were feeding on the bottom then coming up for air every 60 sec or so. They would swim around for 10 sec getting their breath then dive down again. This went on for i/2 an hour and they came within 2mts of my boat, got some good video of it.

el_carpo
11-11-2006, 02:12 AM
I was up there for a week in May and was casting in amongst the timber in one of the bays only a kilometre or so from the dam wall. I had motored in and let a slight breeze push me along so I hadn't made much noise for a few minutes when a platypus surfaced about 6 metres from the boat. Surprisingly he didn't see me and he played around for a few minutes before disappearing. It was a real magic moment - it didn't matter that I didn't get any fish that day
Cheers Freeeedom

I feel the same way. There are times when catching fish is secondary to just getting out there and enjoying time out in nature and away from civilization. I was fishing once and was lucky enough to see a white-tail deer emerge from the woods, walk into the lake and eat some water-lillies. I didn't take a single cast the entire time.