PDA

View Full Version : Richmond Goldfish

Matthias
27-10-2006, 11:29 PM
After fishing the Richmond this week my brother and I stumbled upon a hole with goldfish around 5kg. I was wondering if anyone knew how I would go about catching them. I have heard they are herbivours and eat corn kernals etc. How hard is it to get them to eat your bait? They swim around without being remotely scared of humans so would like to nab a few. Any advice would be appreciated.

Pete.

blaze
28-10-2006, 06:52 AM
airnt they in the carp family, so I asume any of the methods used to catch carp would work, corn, bread etc
cheers
blaze

sweetbream
28-10-2006, 07:40 AM
ive caught them on bread, worms etc
sweet corn will work as well

good luck with it, post some pics when u catch em

wardypig
28-10-2006, 08:25 AM
See my earlier post in the photos section showing one I caught years ago on fly (titled "Interesting fly capture"). I have seen them up to probably 8-10kg in emmigrant creek dam.
Here is the link.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1150181558

Wardy.

stonecold
28-10-2006, 08:40 AM
G'Day Pete,

Is that hole below Cassino by any chance? I caught carp in a hole a few K's down steam from Cassino 15yrs ago (big suckers 4kgish).
Bread or corn kernnels under a little float should do the trick, failing that try a couple of 10/0s using a jerky high speed (high speed spinning of course) retrieve back thru the school!

Goodluck Mark

JEWIENEWIE
28-10-2006, 09:58 AM
Wardy, i fished the killen falls and the shalow pools below it last weekend. And yes there are still a few bass in there. I fished in the middle of the day and still managed to get 3 bass, although small but still a nice suprise. I will be very keen to follow the stream further down as i reckon there would be some nicer pools down further.
I did notice however that there were a heap of fish breaking the surface and chasing the spinner bait directly under the falls, but would not hook up, they were not carp, or gold fish, look sort of like a big herring or mullett, any ideas? Also did see a few big fat goldies though but a strange silver white in colour. Would love to drag the spinner bait through the actuall dam but the warning signs saying do not fish put me off as there semm to be a few officials hanging around there.
Jewie

Matthias
28-10-2006, 10:11 AM
Cheers Wardy, I was actually trying to find that thread as I had remembered it from a while ago.

Stonecold- They were actually in the Wilson. Sounds like they're everywhere :(

Pete.

wardypig
29-10-2006, 10:11 AM
Jewie, without seeing them I couldn't say for sure but they are probably mullet or herring - plenty of those in all the creeks and rivers down that way. The bass are pretty willing below the falls but I never used to go too far down as I was land based and didn't want to intrude on anyone. A small canoe and an afternoon should see you make it to the road crossing down a few kays. That would be a great little stretch.

themisses
30-10-2006, 12:24 PM
So that's what it was. :-? We were at Killen a few weeks ago. In the pool below the falls I saw a fish jump, when the boss asked what it was I was a bit stumped because it was orange??? It must have been a ruddy great goldfish. ;D
Is is private property along the creek edge down to the road?? We didn't want to go to far either just incase.
Cheers Kim. :)

Roo
30-10-2006, 04:35 PM
So that's what it was. :-? We were at Killen a few weeks ago. In the pool below the falls I saw a fish jump, when the boss asked what it was I was a bit stumped because it was orange??? It must have been a ruddy great goldfish. ;D
Is is private property along the creek edge down to the road?? We didn't want to go to far either just incase.
Cheers Kim. :)
You heard it here boys, I'm "the boss" ;D ;D

Where's me dinner :-/
;)

themisses
31-10-2006, 03:23 PM
Your so tuff behind that keyboard. Just wait till u get home young man!! [smiley=whip.gif]

JEWIENEWIE
03-11-2006, 01:32 PM
Right oh you to, what are you guys fishing for, by the sounds of it yu both might do allright tonight, look forward to the report! ;D ;) ;)
Jewie

Matty_M
06-11-2006, 11:57 AM
Hey Pete,

Use to fish in the Wilsons a lot when i went to Uni in Lismore. Saw heaps of big Carp to 10kgs at least just downstream from the boatharbour bridge. Did you see them where the Wilsons meets the Coopers? Plenty of Sharks there too!!!

Wardy, you can access downstream from the falls. There is a park just up from the bridge, not to far from the tidal influences, a little path goes threw and takes you to the creek. Good bassin, but haven't pulled anything with any real size. Good fun though.

Cheers Matt

Matthias
06-11-2006, 12:25 PM
;D ;D. Are you talkin bout the North side of boat Harbour reserve Matty?

It's an interesting place. :P :P

I saw the goldfish closer toward Bangalow and will give them a go this week. I recon they would go hard and can see some good fun on light gear.

I assume they have no teeth so does anyone know what sort of leader I should use? Are they finiky or will they take a bait with ease?

Pete.

Matty_M
09-11-2006, 11:33 AM
Hey Pete,

If you walk into boatharbour reserve about 50m then head through one of the paths towards the river, i saw them there.
In London they use corn, and they say they go like the clappers. They love catchin them ova there, more so then sportfish like Pike!! Mind you if your headin to Boatharbour you should target the Bronze whalers, now they pull!! Especially when you have snags everywhere, its a lot differnet then catchin them in the bay!! You can catch freshwater herring there, just as the wilsons river hits the tidal part of the river there. Put a live one of them out on a wire trace.

Cheers Matty

Matthias
09-11-2006, 01:14 PM
Cheers mate.
Not sure if I'm keen to swim for my snaged lures now that u say there are whalers up there. Wouldn't mind catchin one though.

Damn rain has squashed all my plans to go catch a goldfish this week. Maybe next time.

Pete.

Matty_M
11-11-2006, 11:12 AM
Hey Pete,

Yeah i stopped swimming for lures in Coopers Creek the day we saw one there. I thought gee's thats a bloody big catty, then as it got closer worked out what it really was, a bloody Bronzy!

Cheers Matt