PDA

View Full Version : Tinaroo Barra Bash

sooty66
07-11-2006, 01:58 PM
Well all I can say is what a great weekend.

Took a leisurely drive up to Tinaroo from Townsville

Filled out Nominations and setup camp.

Talked to a couple of guys who have been in the bash for a few years and they suggested I try the Barron Arm (lower section of the dam, less wood and easier to fish).

Fishing conditions for the Barra Bash were excellent although a little on the cooler side, making for some extra effort in locating fish.

Saturday we trolled for hours, shallow, mid column and even tried some deep divers. I was beginning to think that there were no fish in Tinaroo Dam, UNTIL

We were trolling along a weed bed and I thought that I had snagged my lure up. grabbed the rod and felt a tug. Wasn't a big fight as I was gear for Barra. After a couple of minutes I had a 3.5kg 43cm Sooty Grunter in the boat (caught on a HALCO RMG SCORPION). I had an idea that this fish was a quality one as I have never seen one that big before. Fish was big enough for me to take out the 1st Senior Sooty Grunter section of the Bash and earnt me a $450 Diawa Baitcasting combo (not bad for a weekend).

Brayden once again couldn't be outdone, we were about to head back for a break. We were on our last run trolling a little bay when his drag spun off and a big Barra breached the surface and took off like a freight train. Well, my lure flew through the air and landed back in the boat, we gunned after the fish, Brayden gaining as much line back as possible.
15mins of hard fighting had a 112cm 18.5kg fish in the boat, unfortunately it only placed him in the top 5 juniors. But still a damn fine effort and shows there are plenty of quality fishermen and women in the junior ranks here in NQ.

Took a couple of photos of the Bash which are attached below.

If anyone is thinking of coming north around November 2007, this is a comp worth having a go at. It was our first bash and we'll be back again next year.

Great people and a great piece of water.

sooty66
07-11-2006, 02:00 PM
Braydens fish

sooty66
07-11-2006, 02:22 PM
crowd

sooty66
07-11-2006, 02:23 PM
line up, half the fish still in the freezers

mylestom
07-11-2006, 05:12 PM
Yeah great photos congratulations.

But really where did they all end up.

Just think half of them released and a few extra kilos on for next year and a catch n release comp.

To each his own

Trev

TinarooTriumph
07-11-2006, 07:14 PM
Nice meeting you and your family on the Sunday Brett, good to see you had a top time. Congrats on the combo you won too, that Team Daiwa reel is a snappy little thing, and those custom made rod's of Barney's are incredibly powerfull. Nice team shirts too mate ;D Hard on the eyes, but could pick ya's out of that crowd pretty dam easily.

We didn't have the greatest weekend, but on the Friday night we did manage to land the only fish for the whole weekend :-[ , Dan and his handsome 112cm Barra, which he chose to weigh in. Great conditions for the entire weekend also, dropped a few fish, but it just wasn't our weekend unfortunately. But, thats fishing.

Seeing those fish hung up on the racks this year was again a heart-ache, with many large fish up there dangling around. I had a go at a few anglers who chose to have a go at the 'Closest to legal 58cm Barra' category... They won't be forgetting me anytime soon. Hopefully with the help of others, we can get this event to switch to a C&R event, which would be a step in the RIGHT direction for this magnificent fishery.

luskin
07-11-2006, 09:46 PM
Yep.

Disgraceful I reckon to see all those fish strung up >:( >:(

Can't see the point in all those fish wasted.....

As trev said to each their own.

I have never seen the point in eating a freshwater dam barra????

Better from the salt for sure.

No barra bash will see the likes of me

Cheers and tears

Sy

phatty
07-11-2006, 09:59 PM
nice work on the sooty.

but that hurts seeing all them metre plus barra hanging up there, and you say that there were more?? that hurts even more. its really nothing to be proud of. makes you think how much longer a fishery under that much pressure will last.

Awoonga
08-11-2006, 06:49 AM
What a waste...... :'( :'(

sooty66
08-11-2006, 07:10 AM
Seeing those fish up there does break ya heart a little. I am total agreeance with Tinaroo Triumph about pushing toward a Catch and Release Comp (weigh ins for those considering to top the record only). On talking to alot of the other fishos around on the weekend, quite alot of fish under the metre were released back as the fishos considered them below parr for a result. Probably not right thing but there is a little C&R going on. For the record we did take our fish and will do something with it, even if it is feeding the neighbourhood cats for a year!!!!!

Just joking we'll find some use for it.

Tried out the new combo on Sunday arvo at the dam and it trolls really well, haven't tried cast it yet as I have to customise the spool settings first.

davez104
08-11-2006, 08:03 AM
It is a bit of a shame to see all those Barra strung up. But how many more barra are going to end up in the dam as a result of the comp? I reckon you'll find the net result would be more barra, not less. So in the long run the comp is improving the fishery. I know catch and release can achieve a similar result, but for a comp to appeal to the average family they need to be able to see the fish that have been caught. I don't think this is viable for fish of this size, and I reckon the mob that runs this comp would have thought through all the options and are doing what they feel is right. Good on ya's for running a top event.

Dave.

Dr_Dan
08-11-2006, 12:26 PM
Well said dave

fishsmith
17-11-2006, 03:58 PM
The Barra bash is one of this countries most appallingly comps IMO .Its 70's 80's fish kill for weight mentality justified by some as a management tool for the fishery..A family fishing event should not promote kill for weight comp. Money can be raised for restocking via C&R style comps....Whilst there is a barra bash kill comp at Tinaroo i will vote with my feet and wallet and never fish this dam..I urge others with the same veiws to cast the same vote...... >:( >:(

davez104
17-11-2006, 07:09 PM
I will bite my tongue, I will bite my tongue, I will bite my tongue, I will bite my tongue, I will bite my tongue, I will bite my tongue, I will bite my tongue, I will bite my tongue, I will bite my tongue, I will bite my tongue :P :P :P :P :P

Dave.

barramad.
17-11-2006, 08:52 PM
I will bite my tongue, I will bite my tongue, I will bite my tongue, I will bite my tongue, I will bite my tongue, I will bite my tongue, I will bite my tongue, I will bite my tongue, I will bite my tongue, I will bite my tongue #:P :P :P :P :P

Dave.
And so will I!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!