PDA

View Full Version : Peter Faust Barra

Fisher_Boats
01-11-2006, 10:58 AM
Was lucky enough to get a trip out on the dam with Lindsay from Proserpine Bait and Tackle
on Sunday morning before heading back home.
The fish weren't playing the game but managed this nice Barra on a soft plastic (Squidgee drop bear)
Must say it was a pleasure being out on the dam with Lindsay even though the fish were playing hard to get. It's great to see someone so passionate in what they are doing. ;)
His Tracker bass boat was a bit of a weapon and perfect to fish from.

Cheers Col

Fisher_Boats
01-11-2006, 10:59 AM
:) Exactly a metre

Fisher_Boats
01-11-2006, 11:00 AM
The weapon 8-)

barramad.
01-11-2006, 12:55 PM
Well done Col.
Yep Lindsay is a top bloke, who in my honest opinion is one of the countries best impoundment Barra guide. The red flash is a pleasure to fish and travel in and his intimate knowledge of the waterway is second to none. He has been doing it longer than anyone else, and one would wonder how many metreys he's crafted out of that dam.
Then you have Mitch and Motty at Awoonga and Dolan at Lenthalls. We are blessed to have these guys to choose from when needing a charter.
Cheers
Jas

Thommo73
01-11-2006, 01:26 PM
G'day mate...thats a nice fish!

I'm heading up to Faust in just over a week. Have only fished for Barra once before at Awoonga and didn't land anything despite a few hookups.

Am starting to think I will be seriously outgunned using 20lb braid and 40lb leader!!! Just bought a nice threadline outfit to use with soft plastics....but by the looks of some of the monsters caught there I will be donating a few lures.

What was the dam condition like? And did you do much fishing in the flats or in the sticks?

Cheers

Thommo

BobbyJ123
01-11-2006, 04:35 PM
G'day Thommo and welcome to the forum. :)
Dunno where you come from, but there is a good dam 40 minutes drive out from Mackay, Kinchant dam and it holds some very nice barra. Anywhere along the 7 metre and 4 metre lines should produce a fish. The dam is at 90%
Prossy dam is at 15%.

Thommo73
01-11-2006, 05:14 PM
Cheers mate.

I'm a Brissie boy...am heading up to go cruising in the Whitsundays for a week and am popping into Faust for a couple of days. Might try and nudge my co-driver to go to Kinchant or Teemburra as well.....

Am keen to wrestle one of those monster fish....but it could be a war of attrition!

Mak579
01-11-2006, 06:50 PM
Congratulations Col

If you haven't been to the dam before (or even if you have), it's not that expensive and well worth the money to book a charter with Lindsay. Top guide with a wealth of knowledge that you'll walk away with forever, plus the fish (and ride) of a lifetime!

Matt C

mylestom
01-11-2006, 07:43 PM
I and my Wife would totally recommend going out with Lindsay as his knowledge and genuine helpfulness makes for a great day.

He has a wealth of knowledge and can usually get most people onto to a barra.

The boat is awesome and going across the dam into the wind is an experience in its self.

He will help with lure and gear selection and always helps people who drop into his shop with the rite info on Faust.

A really top bloke.

Trev and Pauline

aaron_gilmour
01-11-2006, 08:19 PM
HI Col

I was up there a few days before you on the thurs and friday. Fishing was tough with strong winds making life intresting. Got 1 barra to 60cm and a sooty that would of scared 50cm.

I fished the weed points at night and got some great hits but no hookups on the drop bear 110 slick rigs. Saw lindsay on the water friday fishing the same water i had fished the night previous. I got my fish up in the timber fishing parraelle to a weedy edge on a b52.

Cannot wait to move to townville and be able to hit the dam more often. Every other person I spoke to said they had caught a 1m+ fish!

Cheers

Aaron

rtranter
01-11-2006, 08:43 PM
Just curious guy's, :-? does the water level in the dams have a big effect on the fish, or none at all. :-/
Down here in western NSW the Dam levels not too big a problem on the fish side, payne in the a@s as far as access for us though :(. But if water is being let out, say for irrigators then the Yellow belly seem to go off the bite.
Is it the same with Barra?
Regards
Rob 8-)

Obi___Wan
01-11-2006, 10:47 PM
Congratulations on your Barra Col.

Peter Faust is a great place, even though i live in Brissie i consider it my second home and spend a month there every year. (2 x two week trips)

What Lindsay dosen't know about Barra in Faust is not worth knowing, he's the best you could possibly get.

And that boat of his, i still have trouble coming to terms with the fact that it is aluminium, great boat.

Maybe we will see you on the water there one day.

OBI_WAN

Kendall249
01-11-2006, 11:24 PM
Nice fish and talk about a weapon of aboat.

tunaman
02-11-2006, 12:16 AM
OBI-WON are you a million air. Sorry about the spelling. ;D

singed tunaman

fishsmith
02-11-2006, 10:42 AM
Nice fish there Col ...Fished at Faust dam on the Saturday and Sunday myself..Saturday was a top day caught 4 Barra,120cm, 100cm and a couple of little blokes around the 40cm mark which was an encouraging sign. All caught around the weedbeds that you where fishing Sunday on bills bugs fizzers between 4am till around 7am. Didn't score a fish Sunday but had a couple of boofs that flicked the fizzer clear of the water. Saw heaps faining there way through the weed beds in less than a metre of water. Had to leave around 11am but to make the 3hr trip (4hr with the Suzuki) home #;D

Thommo 73, 20lb main and 40lb leader is no problem at all if fishing the weedbeds or around the main basin points , I use 14lb Fireline and 30lb leader matched to a Loomis SJR GL2 and Diawa Certate Custom spin reel (can't say how much Ilove that reel its an awesome piece of kit,smooth as). However if heading into the sticks I use 50lb Platypus braid,Shimano Curado baitcasteron a Diawa procaster v IM7 #with a 60lb leader.
The Dam is pretty low at the moment with most of the spots i usually fish in the timber high and dry, we need some of that wet stuff from the sky to top her up badly. Thommo definatley take some Bills bugs with you and work them around the weed beds late afternoon,night and early morning..(Make sure you have some Heart pills and or a hip flask because when that water disappears below the fizzer from a boof by one of these horses the old body will go into overdrive and then start to shut down #:o ). Warning fizzing is addictive....

This is the 120cm he was pretty weighty probably around the 30kg mark approx

fishsmith
02-11-2006, 10:45 AM
1 metre Barra held by my son Cameron for a pic..

fishsmith
02-11-2006, 10:47 AM
And a pic of linsay's awsome boat, releasing a 1 metre Barra for his cliants.....

fishsmith
02-11-2006, 10:48 AM
OOps :o here it is..... ::)

Thommo73
02-11-2006, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the advice, Smithy. Will definitely be taking some surface lures up with me...and some heart pills. I love catching bass on the surface....so I can easily say I will LOVE barra on the surface.

Am heading to the tackle shop this weekend and next week to throw a few hundred into a shop's till.

Cheers

Fisher_Boats
02-11-2006, 01:52 PM
Fishsmith ..saw you and the young fella there ...weren't the conditions gooood!

Lindsay dropped one on a fizzer near the boat , the fizzers seem to tease them up a bit when it's quiet.
We went and had a flick around the sticks before we left but only got one sooty without a tail :o

Rob...if it doesn't rain soon I think it will have a big affect on the dam. I'm hoping for Lindsay's sake it belts down soon :P

Here's a pic at the end of the original ramp.
They have extended it around the corner and down to a new spot but it wasn't ready to use when we there.

Heard there were a few snakes hanging around the ramp area atm as well :-?

ele-phrez
02-11-2006, 02:38 PM
well done and, nice boat.

Thommo73
23-11-2006, 10:34 AM
Hey guys.

Just got back from my trip up North. Fished Faust for 2 days before going to Airlie and hiring a boat with some friends and their wives.

Got to Faust on the Friday night after a 12 hour drive from Brisbane. Decided to check the dam out but only trolled for a few hours due to the 30 knot winds on the dam. Spent Saturday morning checking the dam out before picking a mate up at the airport and going out again at 5pm.

The wind had dropped and we spent a few hours in the timber. I got smashed on my first cast when my fizzer was annihilated by a huge boof. The fish stripped about 10 metres of 30lb braid off my reel before stitching me up in the trees. Bushy's fizzers work well...pity I only had one cast of it.

Moved to the weedbeds and fished soft plastics in 10-12ft of water. Alternating slow rolling them and buzzing the plastics just below the surface. We fished 2 nights for 8 fish...all of them over a metre. My first barra measured 110cm and my largest was 119cm...all caught on 20lb braid. We ended up upgrading from 60lb leader to 80lb because we were being rubbed off. I lost 5 fish on the first night because they were gobbling the plastics right down and chewing me off.

Even then the 80lb was barely adequate.

How amazing are these fish!!! An how spoiled are the people of Proserpine!!

Thommo!

sooty66
26-11-2006, 08:23 AM
That bloke from Prosepine Bait and tackle is a top guy, we were down there November 2005 and droped in to see him and possibly get a little local knowledge on where to fish. Gave us some info and the result my 14 year old with his first Barra 116cm 22.5kg. I'd recommend him to anyone who wants the experience of a lifetime