PDA

View Full Version : CARP!!

rusco
23-11-2006, 05:48 PM
Just a quick Q regarding the catching/removal of carp from creeks. We live on Enoggera Creek...there are a few deep holes which contain numerous fish...Catfish, eels ,tortoises,ducks and CARP..have only seen one so far...Can I catch and kill it or do I report it to DPI

ANY IDEAS

rusco 8-)

fishphile
23-11-2006, 06:27 PM
They seem to be plentiful in all the Brisbane creeks. I live on Bulimba Creek and have actually targeted them on fly they have been that thick at times. Caught a 12 lb fish once, it was beautiful but had to kill it anyway, Rules is Rules.

Canoedle
23-11-2006, 06:46 PM
KILL THEM, KILL THEM NOW. Feel free to report them to DPI, but don't hesitate mate, kill the bastards asap.

shorty01
23-11-2006, 07:40 PM
kill kill kill kill [smiley=behead.gif]

rusco
24-11-2006, 03:28 PM
OK A fishin and a killin im goin

rusco 8-)

nuggstar
24-11-2006, 04:48 PM
get em rosco :) kill em all >:( kill em all #>:(kill kill kill kill kill # #>:( #kill the vermin #>:( deth to all carp >:(, die you scally river rapping #little mungrouls #>:( kill all carp ;)

Yuffie
24-11-2006, 09:50 PM
The problems with Carp.. why doesn't the DPI do a deal with Chinese resturants? There's many different carp dishes in HK, they can certainly sell them in resturants here.. maybe able to make some money to stock more native fish, and get rid of carps 8-)

Especially the Koi type of of carp can be sold for thousands of dollars each in Asian countries for ornamental Feng shui purpose :-?

atlantic_salmon
25-11-2006, 05:51 PM
get some brownie points with your mum, catch a load of them, take them home cut into pieces and bury them, they make the best fertilizer and worms love them,

and their fun to give a tap on the head as well, especially after seeing how the brits go stupid over them, they are treated the same as barra are over here, was reading a fishing mag over there and some knob head was promoting australia as a fishing destenation when he wrote " even though they are a noxious pest in australia i practiced catch and release" just makes you want to give them a harder tap on the head...

ssab1
26-11-2006, 07:23 PM
bloody hell sounds like rambos back in town ;D

woodchopper
27-11-2006, 07:08 PM
Yuffie

the problem of making a market for carp is the fact that once money is made, people will want to bring that market to new areas and possibly spread the carp problem. Tilapia are apparently good table fare but have no market and are illegal to possess and must be killed if caught. The reason being is to protect existing fisheries and industry.

I believe that a new trap design has been innovated and it captures all fish but somehow releases the natives. The traps are cleared every so often and the carp turned to catfood or what ever.

Beno

Wallis_bassman
29-11-2006, 06:36 PM
kill one for me son!!!! >:(

Aqua_Man
01-12-2006, 03:57 PM
Kill the buggers!!! :( But don't then throw them back into the water ;) Buggers can still spawn!!!!!!!! Is there somewhere you can take them to have them minced so that you can use them as fertilizer??

rusco
02-12-2006, 06:15 AM
OK ...The message is quite clear
Need to know whats the best bait and rig to catch the vermin...I dont want to stuff around hooking all the eels etc in the pond.
Have been a saltliner most of my 50+ years...never worried about freshies before now...Thanks Wallis bassman for the 'son' tag...much appreciated

rusco 8-)

Boomi_Boy
02-12-2006, 04:18 PM
These didn,t go back!!!!!!!!!!!

http://s91.photobucket.com/albums/k311/floydfatman/?action=view&current=000_0361.jpg

Boomi_Boy
02-12-2006, 04:22 PM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k311/floydfatman/000_0361.jpg

Boomi_Boy
02-12-2006, 04:30 PM
mudsuckers are still good sport

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k311/floydfatman/000_0359.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k311/floydfatman/000_0355.jpg?t=1165040880

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k311/floydfatman/000_0360.jpg?t=1165041017

barramonkey
05-12-2006, 11:47 AM
Winny Reds have that effect on me to . ;D

Callop
05-12-2006, 09:50 PM
I watched NSW Fisheries in the McIntyre River do some electro fishing a couple of years ago.
They were taking dna samples, measuring, weighing etc.

But is it the easiest way to catch a Carp.
In the 200 meters of river they shocked in an hour and a half, they got
18 Carp ranging from 1kg up to 5kg - all were tossed on the bank for us to dispatch with the trusty bait knife.
6 Yellowbelly up to 2kg
and a Murray Cod estimated at 8kg.

Callop
05-12-2006, 09:51 PM
Hey Boomi Boy.
Are you any where near the town by the same name ?

Boomi_Boy
06-12-2006, 02:19 PM
Hey Boomi Boy.
Are you any where near the town by the same name ?

Used to be, the cotton farmers wrecked the joint, so I moved.I visit Garah, Tobeah, Weemalah and Boomi occassionally.Theres still a few spots the cotton hasn,t ruined, and lots of quiet access along the stockroutes. If you saw the fishing in the late seventies you would know why i moved. My best mate from up that way, moved too. Its sad to see what has happened in "the Sportsmans Paradise".

cheers BB

Callop
08-12-2006, 10:31 AM
I used to spend school holidays in the seventy's with my grandparent's. My grandfather was the Stock & Station agent at Boggabilla until he passed away in 1991. So I watched the cotton move in.

Cammy
09-12-2006, 12:43 AM
does anyone on here live in the act, i used to and but now im in bris,
in tuggeranong lake they have a carp fishing comp every year, me and my friend signed up for a go 2 yrs ago and we did catch carp, everyone did (it's not hard) some carp were 1.5 m long. and it's a good way to get rid of these vermins, i recon there should be more competitions like that up here in the qld and nsw to cull them,

cam

tunaman
09-12-2006, 12:53 AM
I hope el carpo dont see this, cause I,ll bet he,ll be running strait to the airport to buy a ticket. ;D ;D ;D

signed tunaman

Boomi_Boy
10-12-2006, 08:02 PM
got rid of a couple more this arvo

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o182/yodude69/000_0426.jpg

Boomi_Boy
10-12-2006, 08:07 PM
hate em as I do, they fight good on light gear, credit where credits due

this is a better pic

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o182/yodude69/000_0425.jpg

barrafever
11-12-2006, 09:31 AM
Im originally from Wagga Wagga and i know they did (not sure if they still do) have carp competitions in the river every year. All you needed was a bit of bread and chuck it in. We were catchin them within a metre or so of the bank. Good fun and good for cleanin out the river. Had big trucks drivin back and forth where you could weigh em then chuck em in. All went to fertiliser from what i remember.

Aqua_Man
11-12-2006, 04:43 PM
Where abouts in the BrisVegas area can you catch these critters?? I am keen to go out and get some. Plus, is there somewhere to take them to have them minced up into fertilizer??

el_carpo
12-12-2006, 05:37 AM
I hope el carpo dont see this, cause I,ll bet he,ll be running strait to the airport to buy a ticket. ;D ;D ;D

;D No need! I already have mountains of carp here to catch. Those things are everywhere. I don't think there is a single body of water in my entire state that doesn't have them. They've tried everything to get rid of them but nothing works. They've even dried up a whole lake and tried again from scratch. No good. They got right back in. One thing that they can't stop is the fact that carp eggs stick to the feet of water fowl and are transported to every body of water the ducks and geese carry them to. I'm afraid they're here (and there too, it looks like :-/) to stay.

If we can't beat them, we may as well enjoy them. Like it has been said already, they do give a pretty decent fight. I've scene people even fish for them with fly rods. They tie flies that look like corn kernals, bread pieces, crayfish, mulberries (carp LOVE mulberries) and water bugs and they DO catch them. Not quite trout fishing, I know, but it beats nothing.

Another method some use is "bow fishing." They have set-ups where you can attach a line to an arrow and hunt them with a bow. That is particularly popular against the invasive gigantic "Asian big-head carp" that has arrived here. I've never done any bow fishing myself so I don't have any personal experiences to share but if you want to try it, you can find plenty of info on the net. Note that it is illegal to shoot sport fish over here so if you do try it, check your laws.

Yeah, so the carp won't get me on a plane to Australia, but all of the other fish you guys have just might one day.

Also, nice pics fellas. Thanks for posting them. If the opportunity presents itself for me, I'll get a picture of some of the "harbour carp" we have over here in Lake Michigan. They're about the size of a Volkswagon Beetle. ;D What is scarey is that those "big head" and "silver carp" invasives are supposed to be way bigger. If they get into the Great Lakes system (and some say they already have) it could be quite a disaster. EEP!

Sillaginid
12-12-2006, 09:42 AM
Aqua-man
The Logan and Albert River systems to the south-east of Brisbane are the closest rivers heavily infested with carp. You can catch them from nearly any water body between Logan/Slacks Creek all the way up to Rathdowney, Canungra, Boonah and beyond. Other than that, you have to go out west into the Murray-Darling Basin where most rivers have reasonable numbers of carp. They appear to have been knocked around a bit by the drought (a positive at last!) but will most likely make a comeback as soon as there are good rains and they can access their preferred breeding grounds again.

Andrew

tunaman
13-12-2006, 02:00 AM
el carpo. Your missing one very important point. ;D You fish for the cold water carp. Their slow and doppy, but ozzy carp are all warmed up and full of beans. Once you fished these carp, you will never go back to that ice-block you call England ;D ;D ;D.
If you ever get the chance to come here, you,ll never want to go back.
They dont call it the lucky country for nothing.

So save your money, and come and throw a shirmp on the barbe, or a carp if you like. ;D ;D ;D All the best.

tunaman :)

el_carpo
15-12-2006, 03:48 AM
The ice-block I call England?

I'm from a different ice-block. ;D I live in Chicago in the US but your point is taken. I wouldn't mind fighting one of your hot-blooded, southern hemisphere, fire carp from hell. ;D

I've heard that there is a legendary carp named "El Diablo" who migrated to Australia from Mexico back in the early 1920's. He shoots fire from his eyes and eats nothing but saltwater crocs whom he kills by strangling with his massive pectoral fins or shoots with his gun. They say he's as big as a whale shark but he's MEAN. ORNERY. CRUEL. He even makes fun of folks' appearance and style of dress. One guy was so distraught by his taunting, he tried to drown himself but El Diablo wouldn't let him die. He kept pushing him back onto the bank to prolong his suffering. Eventually, the man became so desperate, he gave up entirely and became a drummer! :o

Maybe those carp you spoke of are his children? Generations of Australian carp have passed the genes of El Diablo along and now they are legion. Perhaps that accounts for their amazing fighting prowess?

If he eats only saltwater crocs, I'm going to have a heck of a time collecting live bait! :o ;D ;D ;D