PDA

View Full Version : What is the best Bass/Barra boat?

woolybugger
16-11-2006, 12:54 PM
Hi all,

I am looking for some advice as I am thinking about upgrading my current boat and looking at something around the 4.5-5mtrs in length with minimum of 50hp 4 stroke and needs to be stable for casting flies etc. Also, have a side console and have as much casting platform as possible.

I have looked at most boats on the market and noticed that most value for money etc is the Bluefin range.

Any comments and photos would be good.

luskin
16-11-2006, 02:44 PM
Hi Wooly

I have 4.35 hornet trophy with 50 hp 4 stroke and minn kota 55 riptide up front

Very happy with rig, though maybe a bit small for your requirements?

Cheers

Sy

luskin
16-11-2006, 02:45 PM
Casting Deck

yellahunter
16-11-2006, 02:58 PM
nice boat luskin,

what sort of money is involved for something like that?

luskin
16-11-2006, 03:38 PM
Hi Yella

Remember if it's what you want then go for it ;) ;)

A divorce can help too ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Boat cost $26,600 with everything you can think of except a wood fire :) :)

Cheers

Sy

DNO40
16-11-2006, 04:35 PM
I have a 475 Hornet Trophy with 55lb Minn Kota and am extremely happy with it. Have seen others that have fors and againsts, but at the end of the day it is what you are happy with and how much dosh you have to play with.

DNO

WSW
16-11-2006, 07:41 PM
http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1231/myboat1ek9.png

I would have to agree on the 475 Hornet Trophy. I have a 75 E Tec and am more than happy. 54lb Motorguide. Great platform for bass fishing including fly casting. Have had many a good comment from passengers at the Bass circuits.

Big_J
16-11-2006, 08:40 PM
I have a 455 top ender Quintrex with a 50 honda and a 64lb minn kota on the front and it has been the best bass and barra boat especially when you are on awoonga and the wind comes up it just cuts strait through the swill and very good in the places like morton bay. I have had about 5 boats come up to me who have owned hornets and say that they should of gotten a top ender they handle choppy condition alot better then hornets no offence to the hornet people just what I have be told. Price around $24,000

Awoonga
17-11-2006, 07:48 AM
Well l have a Hornet too !!!.....4.45 60 Yammie # 24 volt MinKota... ........Air con...... Fridge. ..Central locking....Heater.... #Surround sound system...Opps... no thats the Skeeter that l want.... ;)

yellahunter
17-11-2006, 10:43 AM
nice rigs guys,

luskin
17-11-2006, 11:30 AM
Hey Big J

You're spot on with yr comments ;)

Wanna swap? ;D ;D ;D

Hey Trev

When am i gonna get a barra in yr boat? How was Cania?

Cheers and beers

Sy

still_water
17-11-2006, 06:59 PM
Trev I hear they are putting Bull Bars and Seat Belts on the Hornets as a standard fit know. ;) ;D.
PS . The Koalas want to know were they can hang out safely for a while when you come back down. ;D ;D ;D

Tropicaltrout
17-11-2006, 07:30 PM
Hey wooley, the one i am in it floats, it takes fish it has a new donk and best of all I own it.

But on a serious note I like the blue fin wildcat its a awsome looking thing it is plate alloy, it has the deep v but stable for dams and casting with all the mod cons full casting decks rod lockers electric bow mound motor side console and will allow you to get outside on a fair day, great all rounder, have a look at the blue fin boat web site.

Off to Awoonga in the morn, then callide hope to get a good one, just one Iam not greedy just want a picture with a good fish.

Regards TT

Sniper
17-11-2006, 08:10 PM
I've had a 435 Hornet for 5 years now and am more than happy with it. Lure and fly fishing out of it no worries. Am upgrading to a new rig next year to either a 445 or 480 Hornet, depending on how much Mr.Bank manager will lend me. Have been in a few different Bass boats from fishing the ABT Comps, and each boat has its fors and againsts, but I keep coming back to the Hornets. Like everyone says, its up to you. Are you looking mainly at alloy or does glass come into the equation? If glass is a maybe, have you looked at the Fullboars? Huge casting deck on them. Need an intercom system to talk to the person at the other end of the boat. Great if you have 2 people fly fishing. Thats my 2 cents worth.
Billyboy :)
P.S. Still love the deck setup on your boat Brad.

Big_J
18-11-2006, 09:45 AM
Big J Top ender

SeekingBarradise
18-11-2006, 01:12 PM
Hi guys nice boats gggg you would be happy with any of them - they would all make time on the water enjoyable.

WoolyBugger we looked long and hard for the last 12 months + and were lucky enough to find a "bondy" of a deal. You only get one in a lifetime!!

Like Big J we saw the 20+ boats sneaking around the edges of Awoonga on a day when the swell was massive. The only boat that went through the middle was a top ender. We noticed on the lastest dvd another boat was very wet at the front end when chop got up at Awoonga when the usual winds blew etc.

We went to so many boat yards even the salesmen and women got sick of us ha. We wanted to get out to the bay a bit - get to the mouth of rivers up north chasing barra and have to deal with some waves - we also want to get from the braodwater up to straddie etc now and then and across the seaway. So we needed a hull that wasn't totally for fresh dead calm weather (especially after seeing the waves at Awoonga that day).

Safety First: As we would be swinging lures everywhere we wanted lots of space and needed everything stored away so we didn't trip on anything. We were lucky enough to find a trading post special and bought our first boat a Stessle Bass Boss - we hadn't seen one before ha. But when we did we knew it's exactly what we wanted for Barra and Bass fishing. Before this the Bluefin Wildcat was our favourite pic.$21 000.

Stats: 120lts fuel tank, 9ft rod lockers, 3mm top & bottom sides. Max HP 120hp, Depth a dry 95cm, Beam a wide 2.3m you could pick up most boats and fit them inside the bass boss it has that much space. 2x live bait tanks and cutting boards at the back, A massive kill tank behind the seats that has handles - 120lts livewell at the front and 120ltr Fuel tank.
We won't list everything but thought it would be good for you to see another option so you can compare to other boats as it's a big decision.

Cost: $14000 with a Honda 90Hp on the back that had 180 hrs on it as the electric was used 90%of the time. Does a good 60kmph which is all we need. If you want more you can put a 120 on the back and get up near 90+km/hr. We have seen some for around $25-28 second hand with a $35 000+ fitout on them Brand new. Look out for a Bondy Deal!!

So keep an eye out on the second hand market. We were only looking for a 4.3m boat etc and the major thing for us now is that we would never go back to a smaller boat. You really enjoy the extra space - however if it's only you launching the boat you might have to go for the smaller options to make life easier.

Hope all this info helps you out woolybugger. We wrote a longer email because when we were looking for a boat we didn't get this kind of help from all the dealers we saw and they wouldn't let us go for a test run unless we promised to buy the boat gggggg. We couldn't get honest top speeds or handling characteristics from many of them so asking on Ausfish is probably the best option.

So get out on a Top ender(highly recommend) -Bluefin Wildcat - hornett - Bass Boss etc and any others you like the look of - you are welcome to take our Bass Boss for a Test run ( you dont even have to buy it ha) and we fish with Big J now and then so maybe you can try out the Top Ender on the Same day!!!

All the best & we will see you on the water one day.

Cheers SeekingBarradise

SeekingBarradise
18-11-2006, 01:19 PM
On the Water at Monduran.

SeekingBarradise
18-11-2006, 01:26 PM
Casting in Fog at Monduran.

SeekingBarradise
18-11-2006, 01:31 PM
Large front casting deck - we can sleep on the front deck and another can sleep next to the console there is so much room.

SeekingBarradise
18-11-2006, 01:39 PM
The Track Rail Hull - Note the skids (4) that start near the guard that slice the water and increase handling.

There is also a 4.6m Bass boss. Check it out on the web.

All the best.

Why-ting
18-11-2006, 05:05 PM
The Haines Pro Strike is a awesome fishing boat. its rated to 150hp and does about 65mphwith this size motor. Its one of the best riding boats ive ever been in. Heaps of room and very stable being able to fish 3 guys on 1 side of the boat. With the 150hp its in the early 40 g's range.

Cheers whytey

Why-ting
18-11-2006, 05:07 PM
;)

mylestom
18-11-2006, 05:10 PM
The best bass/barra boat that i have been on is Lindsay Dobe Tracker (Imp from USA), what an outfit. A bit beyond most of us though.

Trev

TinarooTriumph
19-11-2006, 07:00 PM
I think I have seen Lindsay's boat in a pic somewhere... it's red isnt it Trev?

Some great boats posted so far fella's, like what I see! Why-ting... mate... All I can see is that boat is what Im hoping to have when Im older. I've been looking at the Pro-Strike ALOT, and Id probably prefer one of them to a Stratos. Still, a ZX Series Skeeter would be nice to have in the Garage ;D .

SeekingBarradise - That is top boat mate... I think I have seen the same model boat on Tinaroo a few times... Goes like a McLaren on land! Those hulls sure can handle those white-caps nicely.

My 375 Dart and 2006 model 15hp Suzuki 4-Stroke will do the job for some time to come I think ;D .

Good luck Wolybugger!

mylestom
20-11-2006, 05:55 AM
Yep the bloody fast red one in the photos. He must be about ready for his new one. Whoever gets the old one is in for a great ride.
Trev

SeekingBarradise
20-11-2006, 10:45 AM
Thanks TinerooTriumph there are not many around. Thanks for taking the time to give some positive feedback as we havent' seen another on on the water yet.

Hey Woolybugger maybe check out the Mangrove Jack from Bluefin - it will keep costs down in the teens as the folding stuff is hard to come by.

We saw one at Awoonga and it was a great little rig and that way you won't have to spend over $20k. The 17 Year Old Taylor boys beat rigs worth $50 000+ in a 14ft tinny in the Barra Series.

Maybe a 4-4.5m Explorer/Edgetracker/hornett etc - just put as much casting deck space as possible on the rig and it will be sweet. From $8000 to $14 000 - keep and eye out for that bondy of a deal. Polycraft also have some of the cheapest side consoles going around.

Keep an eye out in the Darling Downs/Toowoomba region as there have been a lot of boats sold out that way that only see fresh water etc.

I bet you have got some good fish in your nice 3.75m Dart = Tineroo Triumph.

Whatever gets you on the water will be a great investment Woolybugger as you can't put a value on time on the water but at the same time most can't afford to spend the same amount on a boat as a block of land LOL.

Some 4wd guys are predicting a crash in the market and with another interest rate rise there should be some mercy selling go on as the boat/extra 4wd will go from people who are not in to fishing/outdoors like all of us on Ausfish.

Good Luck and let us know how you go!!

Cheers SB

SeekingBarradise
20-11-2006, 10:49 AM
Bluefin Wildcat 4.35

SeekingBarradise
20-11-2006, 10:53 AM
Wildcat Top View

woolybugger
20-11-2006, 01:04 PM
Thanks alot fellas,

There are defenately some nice rigs there, good on ya's!

Definately something to think about, because as you know, you need to treat it like finding a wife. Its a long term investment, until you get divorced which is a costly exercise.

Keep the photo's etc coming...

TinarooTriumph
20-11-2006, 04:13 PM
SB,

Have only had the boat for a few weeks, and I am still yet to hit the water in it!. Have been mad at work making front and rear casting decks, aswell as Livie tanks and what not when I have the time. Hope to baptise her in a few weekends time with a 50lb horse, or two ;D . I brought the boat 2nd hand off a neighbour who unfortunately passed away not long ago, but he had landed several big barra from Karumba in it, so thats assuring.

Hey Woolybugger - I'll go halves with you in this one :P

Theo

Wallis_bassman
30-11-2006, 05:49 PM
Geez! Nice boats. They beat my little B LineWallaby canoe. Im not going to complain though it hasnt stopped my fish catching ability. But those look so comfortable.

bassace
04-12-2006, 02:25 PM
I have a stessco 4.2m catcher. this rig cost $8000 and i use it in lenthalls for bass and barras as well as running around Hervey bay.

bassace
04-12-2006, 02:25 PM
another angle

gismo75
04-12-2006, 08:08 PM
Bought a 480 Hornet Trophy this year and love it. #Would have liked the deck raised a little but other than that have found with a few slight mods it's been awesome. #We've moved the console back about 2 inches and now fit a 40ltr Engel in just nicely in front of it. #Great for keeping your drinks icey cold whilst barra fishing! #Heaps of room for 2 people to fish comfortably out of. ::) Have been on the dams in some pretty wild weather and can't fault the stability of the Hornet. #If you can afford a Quinny, go for it... you'll never ever regret it! #I guess our only regret is not going for an e-tec. #It has an 80hp Yamaha 4 stroke on it which just isn't quite fast enough! #;D

SeekingBarradise
04-12-2006, 09:58 PM
Hi Gismo nice boat.

What speed do you get on a 4.80 with an 80 yammy on it?

Top speed etc as it's hard to get honest info from dealers as many havent been out on many different types of boats with different set ups etc. A few friends are looking for some relevant info for future purchases etc.

Solas props have been great up the sunny coast way if you want to give them a call - it might give you an extra 10+km/hr as they think more than half the props sold are the wrong ones.

A family member had props changed and the dealer didn't put the same one back on - he lost 10km geeseee.

Cheers SeekingBarradise

gismo75
05-12-2006, 12:34 PM
Hey SB, We get about 28MPH so it says. It was 30MPH when we first got it but seems to have reduced. Once you go over about 4800 revs you can watch the fuel gauge dropping rapidly! Going to look at another prop shortly (need a spare anyway with the dam levels the way they are!). ;)

Gday_Bruce
05-12-2006, 09:57 PM
I bought the Blue Fin Wildcat 4.35 & Yamaha 60hp/2 stroke at the Sydney Boatshow in August. We had a second console (for she who must be obeyed) & a bimini fited prior to delivery. Purchase price (with a modified trailer) was around $22,500 (same price with 50hp/4stroke).

My previous tinnie was a Sea-Al & I have many hours experience in Brooker & Quintrex hulls through involvement as a rescue driver/sailing coach with a local dingy sailing club.

We found the Wildcat very attractive because of the 3mm plate (allover) construction, and comprehensive standard fitout. ie: 60L underfloor fuel tank, 90L plumbed live tank (mounted under rear of front casting deck), port-side bow extention for elec.motor mount, etc.....

We have (so far) used the boat on Sydney Harbour, Pittwater, Cowan Creek & the Hawkesbury River. The ride in a 2foot chop @20knots is drier and more comfortable than I would have expected from any tinnie (the hull weight is approx. 335kg).
When pushed hard it will launch (fuly airbourne) over wash and chop, and lands in a balanced & predictable manner.

The dealer fitted a 17" prop for running in which returned 31.7knots at 6200rpm, this was swapped (no charge) for a 19" prop at the 10hour service. Current performance is 33.2knots @6000rpm. With this prop fitted, if you can hang onto the controls, the engine will push to 30knots regargless of conditions. I already have an electric jacking Plate that will be fitted once I get a few more hours on the motor.

I would have preferred a 4.5 metre hull but was restricted by garage parking. Overall we have no regrets over our choice of purchase. The Blue Fin range for durability & standard fitout cannot be overlooked when shopping for an aluminium hull.

Any prospective purchasers in Sydney could do a lot worse than having a chat to Joe at Inpependent Outboards in Blacktown.

In case the above comments aren't clear, I am (obviously) yet another satisfied Blue Fin customer.

Mak579
06-12-2006, 11:24 AM
Wooly,

The best bass/barra boat is the one that your currently fishing in!

My little 4m stacer with a few DIY mods

Matt C

bassfanatic5
20-12-2006, 09:17 PM
Aussie built Labsport XT a little bit slow but a very stable fishing platform.

2nd choice 480 hornet 75etec.

bassfanatic5
20-12-2006, 09:19 PM
Front Deck

bassfanatic5
20-12-2006, 09:21 PM
Rear Deck

Boomi_Boy
20-12-2006, 10:28 PM
I have a stessco 4.2m catcher. this rig cost $8000 and i use it in lenthalls for bass and barras as well as running around Hervey bay.

That is a serious boat, i am admittedly envious, one hell of a platform. Unfortunately the motor is now way too big 4 lenthals.

fishenmick
27-12-2006, 07:39 PM
Wooly Bugger,

I have a Bluefin Predator. 4.75m Side Console. Great in the creeks, dams etc and if the wind is 10-15kts I can go out to the Moreton Island Reefs fishing or take the kids snorkeling. Great boat and everyone who has been in it agrees.

I reckon you ought to take a few of the contenders out for a spin and see what you think. Nothing like a spin on the water to see exactly what you get for your buck.

Good Luck with what ever you purchase.

regards, Mick

Steve_B
01-01-2007, 10:43 PM
Good to see heaps of boats in heaps of price brackets for you to choose from. I used to sell boats at a fishing/tackle store once, and the one thing I told everyone, What ever size boat and motor you think you want..... buy the next size UP!! ... inevetebly you say"gee I wish I had a bigger boat or if this boat was just a bit bigger we could go.....!! That my only advice, I am actually guilty of the same problem with my own boats!!!!

For the record I am in the process of getting a 5m Makocraft Frenzy with 90 Optimax and all the lovely extras that go with! cant wait!!! It was a toss up between that and a 455 TABS territory Pro. They are also a well built boat and look great. Just couldn't seak it in under my salary cap!!!!

good luck boat hunting mate