PDA

View Full Version : Heading to Lake Tinaroo

PJ
06-12-2006, 07:45 PM
G'day fellas,

I'm taking the boat up to Lake Tinaroo next week for a few days seeking barra and sooties. Does anyone have any recommendations for where to camp, lure selection or fishing techniques? I'm also thinking of splurging on a day's guided fishing - any good guides up there?

Thanks for the help,
PJ

TinarooTriumph
06-12-2006, 08:37 PM
G'day PJ,

We have had some pretty hot weather up here the last few weeks, with a few showers coming in the last few days which will definetely see the fish on the move. Whether these showers have had upped the flow into the Dam is another thing, I can only go by the rain we have had here in Herberton. Id say Tinaroo received maybe an inch??? Not much wind of late, but I would not mind betting it stirs up on the weekend. Look for Banks and Timbered Points, where the wind is smashing into. This will produce 'Bubbly' water (Oxygynated if you like), also it will add to water temperature and will send the schools of Surface Bait fish into these area's, and there you will find the Barra feeding. Some will hang deep, the majority though will be at around mid to high water column. If wind is minimal (Doubt it), head to a few of the many Creeks that flow into Tinaroo... Wasp Creek and Brady Creek would be worth a look at. At night when it's fairly quiet, you can also target these area's, though its sometimes worth a shot at the quiet bay's, with weedbeds and other structure. If you are fishing light (Say 30lb, 50lb leader etc), then stick to the weedbeds and Horizontal Timber, rather then the Vertical as you will be left with nothing but an empty spool.

As for lures... Just bring what ya got mate, look at the fish on the sounder, look what depth they are at and choose a lure to suit. Make sure they are fitted with strong hardware (Sharp strong hooks, and solid rings). We always cast with Classic's and RMG's, we rarely troll but when we do it's usually a Predatek Viper of a Killalure Barra Bait. I am still trying to convert to plastics, but find Hardbody lures have a better hook up rate, no matter what you stick in the plastic to hook the fish. Live-baiting? Other locals like it... I don't! Fishing actively will produce more results.

For camping you can stay at the Holiday Park at the Tinaroo township... Good grounds and service... Otherwise you could camp at Platypus or Downfall. These two spots are good, as you can cruise around the dam and not waste too much fuel, as they are in a fairly central location. Kauri Creek though is the nicest spot... No crowds too. Skier's are usually found near Tinaburra, Fong On Bay and now they are starting to discover the Barron as a good place to Ski.

If your looking for a guide, Ian Kucurs is the guide for Tinaroo, and if he is not available then Jack Leighton can take you out. They can be contacted on (07) 40 958 888, or go to www.tinaroobarra.com.

Last peice of advise... Don't expect to rock up to the Dam like hundreds of other people do and have a vision of catching a monster in the first 30mins... This place does not work this way, no place does! You will have to work for your fish, and when I mean work I mean work! Find the fish, fish hard at them for a long period of time, mix things up, and if that does not bring them on, move!

C&R

Obi___Wan
06-12-2006, 09:29 PM
Tinaroo Triumph.

Thats bloody good info you have just handed out, good on you ;) ;)

I'll give you a hoy next time i am going to Faust and maybe we can catch up for a fish.

And good luck with your trip PJ, hope you manage to get one.

OBI_WAN

Mak579
07-12-2006, 09:56 AM
PJ,

definitely give Ian Kucurs a call if your serious about catching a barra at tinaroo, he's a great guide and top bloke!

Nice info and PR work TT

Cheers
Matt C

PJ
07-12-2006, 05:41 PM
C&R,

Thanks very much for the info, I appreciate you taking the time and I'll certainly use it. I've just started holidays, put a set of Dura-Hubs on the trailer, bought some more lures(!) and am good to go.

Cheers
PJ

Bad_Bubby
07-12-2006, 06:06 PM
Everytime I have been to the Dam (bar once) I have stayed at Tinaroo Holiday Park at Kairi. The cabins at the Park are well set up, well-priced and nearby a good ramp. Last trip out to the Dam TinarooTriumph and I noticed the fish were lingering around the surface at night. I'd recommend trolling shallow divers around the points to pick them up. If the dam gets some rain the barra fishing could improve a bit over the next couple of weeks. Be prepared to cast for a long time if you want to pick up a fish that way!. Good luck

MORFIN
04-01-2007, 08:37 PM
Great peice of writing TT , advice like that is worthy of a slab.

PETE MATE