PDA

View Full Version : Awoonga, Monduran and Lenthalls in one trip?

NormC
05-01-2007, 04:10 PM
Hi guys, I’ve got another topic going at the moment on Lenthalls. (Fishing and Camping at Lenthalls). Looking to do a bit more around the same time. The story is that we are heading to Fraser Island for about 4 days over Australia Day week-end. ‘Clean-Up Fraser’ is on and we go out there each year for it. All the SE QLD 4WD Clubs go out and are each allocated an area to clean up; amazing the amount of rubbish we remove each year. We go with the Gold Coast 4WD Club.

Anyway, I’ve convinced my wife to head up to the area a few days early and to stay 4 or 5 days after we return to the mainland, a total trip of around 14 days. Last time I took her to Awoonga she had a good time, but complained about the distance (and the fact that all she caught was a Cat Fish). I’ve convinced her that since we will be ‘in the area’ we should take advantage of it.

We will fish Lenthalls, probably before we head to Fraser. I’ll hopefully drop the boat and fold up trailer with some friends in Hervey Bay (hope they are home) so we don’t have to cart it to Fraser (towing the camper trailer is enough). After Fraser, I though we would hit Awoonga or Monduran, or possibly both. I’ve fished Awoonga before (camped at the Boyne River camp ground), but have not yet fished Monduran. It’ll be 29th Jan before we hit either place, so hopefully the holiday crowds will have dissipated somewhat.

We will have done 3 days (4 nights camp) at Lenthalls before Fraser. I’m figuring 2 days (3 nights) at Monduran, then up to Awoonga for 2 days (3 nights), before the long (well 7 hours) trip home.

So, to my questions:
For those how know each of these dams, is that a good distribution of time? Can easily be changed if the fishing is likely to be batter or more pleasant at any of the dams.

At Monduran, can we camp near the water and leave the boat in the water (means I don’t have to set up the fold up trailer as I will at the other places. This can get a bit tedious on this sort of trip with lots of short stops. Makes set up and pull down a bit quicker and easier.

I generally target specific species when fishing. But for my wife, I just want her to catch some fish, preferably a barra. She is yet to catch a fish on a lure and still struggles a bit with the continuous casting. For her, I’ll probably do some trolling to give her the best chance with least effort. What lures will be best for this at Lenthalls and Monduran?

Any other tips for this little excursion?

Norm C

Awoonga
05-01-2007, 04:53 PM
Norm....Lets see ..mmm.....Monduran in a`word ...Timber lots of it ...A small main basin...lots of arms and bays with timber...Can be quite daunting for first timers...As far a leaving your boat in....Camp ground is a bit away from the water .Dont think its a good option....See what others think....Lures #now your asking... ::) most anything works...yet to catch a barra on a SPs... but l am sure someone has....There is one spot the l fish and someone keeps losing blue Halco Scorpions...Will have to include me now l lost two last trip...So that could be a starting point...Awoonga..hope the weather improves.. got to stop blowing one day.. :-?...SPs work here around the weed beds...or trolling two options deep divers like Halco crazy deeps...or troll the weed bed with a 1 mtr lures....

NormC
05-01-2007, 05:13 PM
Thanks Awoonga. Looks like I'll need the heavy gear for Monduran. Love flicking lures around timber and snags. Sometimes I'd prefer a bust off in there than landing one trolliing in open water; :-? :-?well you get the drift anyway.

Maybe I'll take the snorkel gear and see if I can find a few blue Scorpians.

Agree on the Awoonga weather. Was up there a couple of months ago and it blew the whole time. But landing one barra (yes only one) made it all worth while. Just came back from Moogerah and it rained the whole time. Just have to take it as it comes and do the best I can, which often isn't all that good. :'( :'(

Speaking of Awoonga, is the Boyne boat ramp still usable? It was getting a bit shallow last time I was up there.

Awoonga
05-01-2007, 08:31 PM
Dont know Norm ... water level has gone down more since you where here last.. :'( :'( :'( :'(...